Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    18813925_1426596280760560_7101078140946597977_n.jpg?oh=fb3e535145293b79bece5a389f8643ad&oe=59A4B4D8
    That was before Sat Navs ... so he has a very good excuse!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

J C wrote: »
    That was before Sat Navs ... so he has a very good excuse!!!:)

Yeah, but they did have the sun and stars.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yeah, but they did have the sun and stars.
    For those who are interested ... here is the story why they took 40 years to get there ...

Quote:-
    "From Sinai, Moses led the Israelites to the Desert of Paran on the border of Canaan. From there he sent twelve spies into the land. The spies returned with samples of the land's fertility, but warned that its inhabitants were giants. The people were afraid and wanted to return to Egypt, and some rebelled against Moses and against God. Moses told the Israelites that they were not worthy to inherit the land, and would wander the wilderness for forty years until the generation who had refused to enter Canaan had died, so that it would be their children who would possess the land."

For those who are interested ... here is the story why they took 40 years to get there ...

"From Sinai, Moses led the Israelites to the Desert of Paran on the border of Canaan. From there he sent twelve spies into the land. The spies returned with samples of the land's fertility, but warned that its inhabitants were giants. The people were afraid and wanted to return to Egypt, and some rebelled against Moses and against God. Moses told the Israelites that they were not worthy to inherit the land, and would wander the wilderness for forty years until the generation who had refused to enter Canaan had died, so that it would be their children who would possess the land."

That's even funnier

That's even funnier
    It was great craic ... allright !!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sounds legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

God and Moses seem like very nice blokes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If this had happened a bit earlier then it would have been a long wait. They early ones lived for 900 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

How-Religion-Actually-Works1497423577.jpg

How-Religion-Actually-Works1497423577.jpg
    The use of the carrot and stick to modify Human behaviour is by no means confined to religion ... it perhaps reaches its ultimate manifestation in the modern secular state ... where the stick is the dominant modus operandi via innumerable laws ... and their dissuasive penalties for non-compliance.

In the case of Saved Christians, they are beyond the carrot or the stick within their faith ... Hell presents no threat to them anymore because they are guaranteed salvation ... and Heaven presents no carrot either ... because they are already saved .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is 'funny (ha ha) side of religion' JC, your response is not in the spirit of the thread.

looksee wrote: »
    This is 'funny (ha ha) side of religion' JC, your response is not in the spirit of the thread.
    I take your point ... but I thought it was very funny that the secular 'kettle' was calling the religious 'pot' ... 'black' !!:D

... because for most people nowadays it's the 'taxman' who occupies the position of the cleric in your cartoon !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I take your point ... but I thought it was very funny that the secular 'kettle' was calling the religious 'pot' ... 'black' !!:D
    Honestly, how many times do people have to explain that "secular" is not the opposite of "religious"?

robindch wrote: »
    Honestly, how many times do people have to explain that "secular" is not the opposite of "religious"?
    I never said it was the opposite ... secularism is rapidly becoming the replacement for religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I never said it was the opposite ... secularism is rapidly becoming the replacement for religion.

Yay, our job is done!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Why did I bother :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We live in hope.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

looksee
    Yay, our job is done!

Timberrrrrrrr
    We live in hope.

robindch
    Why did I bother :rolleyes:
    You seem to be outnumbered by two to one (Secularists), on this, Robin !!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

it perhaps reaches its ultimate manifestation in the modern secular state ... where the stick is the dominant modus operandi via innumerable laws ... and their dissuasive penalties for non-compliance.

Give me laws set by a democratic government any day over the hellfire and brimstone 'god's law' rantings of a charlatan, despot or lunatic.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Because no democratic government has ever suffered from charlatans, despots or lunatics... :D

• Advertisement

Absolam wrote: »
    Because no democratic government has ever suffered from charlatans, despots or lunatics... :D
    ... Yes indeed ... and whilst 'hellfire and brimstone rantings' can be safely ignored, even laughed at and derided, for the 'paper tigers' they are (like is done routinely on this very thread) ... laws and other projections of authority have to be obeyed ... even if or when that authority 'goes off the deep end' !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

24415bdb22854b88a77d6f37c7109875.jpg

The gentleman protesteth too much !!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

420153.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

oODzqJ2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

DC-nBb7XkAAMhHX.jpg:small

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

This is the latest podcast of the thinking atheist. I thought it was funny. It's all about the stupid stuff religious people can say e.g "with two years of praying and chemotherapy my cancer was cured. Thank you god"

https://youtu.be/1HJ65tkLkQ4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

420691.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement