Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Mr. Nobody wrote:
    Saying grace at the Lord Mayor’s installation dinner is something that has been done by way of custom for the last 25 years.
    That's only since 1992. Curious.
    Grace has always been said, even by Lord Mayors who wouldn’t darken the doors of a church or chapel.
    "Always" is a bit longer alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

recedite wrote: »
    That's only since 1992. Curious.

"Always" is a bit longer alright.

I imagine the scene as loads of people looking around the room in panic... what shall we do...? The food is here, it looks delicious and i am soooo hungry... Please someone say grace I need to eat so bad...

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Couldn't make out the reason given for Mo's no-show...?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

There's a religious reason as well as more practical ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Daycare pickup.

I guess they had to come up with some joke that would also provide "cover" for the more practical reasons for Mo's absence. An elegant solution ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

He was probably too busy doing some vile acts with his child wife Aisha.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

beliefs.jpg

Floppy disks are like Jesus.

They died to become the icon of saving.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Locals upset heroin users are cleaning their equipment in the holy water. It's just a wee bit of heroin, probably not as toxic as all the faeces and snot the holy water already contains....

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Residents-say-heroin-users-cleaning-equipment-in-Holy-Water-4fdb26ed-23c5-4f1b-9821-8a1871b39300-ds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Worztron wrote: »
    Floppy disks are like Jesus.

They died to become the icon of saving.
    And, one could add, rapidly going out of fashion as well.

robindch wrote: »
    And, one could add, rapidly going out of fashion as well.

And about as likely to make a comeback any time soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Looks like the lamb ad is "offensive" now. How pathetic.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41169928

Nice of the HSE to provide the needle bin, but looking at that photo I don't think I'd fancy walking down those steps myself; I'd be looking for an alternative commute.
    Reminds of the time an Australian asked me what the "black spot" signs on the roads meant. I said "they have installed those to warn you that people get killed on that stretch of road".
    "So why don't they fix the road" he says. There's no answer to that ;)

smacl wrote: »
    And about as likely to make a comeback any time soon ;)

I would not put it past those silly hipsters to start using floppy disks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

loobylou wrote: »
    Looks like the lamb ad is "offensive" now. How pathetic.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41169928

That is a tradition with Australian Lamb Ads. There is alway complaints about them.

For many years their big campaign was just before Australia Day (Jan 26th) and featured Sam Kekovich. The first one went to air in 2005 and was controversial.
    He then did one each year up to 2014. He is no longer featured but they have the same aim.

This was the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

CabanSail wrote: »
    That is a tradition with Australian Lamb Ads. There is alway complaints about them.

For many years their big campaign was just before Australia Day (Jan 26th) and featured Sam Kekovich. The first one went to air in 2005 and was controversial.
    He then did one each year up to 2014. He is no longer featured but they have the same aim.
    Not that it's doing them much good. Despite Australia having just overtaken the UK in the meat-consumption-per-capita stakes, lamb consumption has been declining inexorably. It's all chicken, chicken, chicken on Australian plates.

I blame the hipsters, of course. And so, I suspect, does the sheep-meat industry. This long-running, slightly controversial, campaign is intended to play up to the bad-boy, free-spirit stereotype. They reckon lamb consumption is down because fashion and/or health concerns are leading people to switch to white meats even though, given their druthers, they'd rather eat red meat, like any truly manly man would. And the ads play up to this. Though not, it has to be said, with any success that has been reflected in actual sales of lamb chops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Lamb Ads are very funny. The more complaints they got the more outrageous they became. All available on Youtube.

I suddenly feel like some Lamb!

The Lamb Ads are very funny. The more complaints they got the more outrageous they became.
    I think this is the strategy. The more complaints they attract, the more they get talked about, the more impact they will have. Plus, the whole dynamic is supposed to give lamb a slighlty edgy air, by comparison with bland old chicken.

It's just that it's a strategy that isn't working for them, as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Maybe they need Kirk Cameron to do a series of ads on "The Lamb of God"

Maybe they need Kirk Cameron to do a series of ads on "The Lamb of God"
    Mmm. Given that the slightly-offensive-ad strategy isn't working for them, it seems to me that there's probably more downside than upside in a more intense version of that strategy!

No, if you can't beat the hipsters, join them. Promote lamb as the humane, open range, additive-free, hormone-free meat, as opposed to all those factory-armed chickens and pigs.

The hipsters eat organic free range chickens already.

Lambs eat grass .... they are vegetarians .... they must be good!

The one's I find fascinating are the vegan cat owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The one's I find fascinating are the vegan cat owners.

Vegan-cat owners?
    Vegan cat-owners?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

May have been posted before:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion

looksee wrote: »
    Vegan-cat owners?
    Vegan cat-owners?

:D

The vegan humans who possess have cats. (Cats are already possessed)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is still the funnies thread?

DJh6LNAVYAAOkOA.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Vegans who own cats - fine
    Vegans who insist their cats eat a vegan diet - should not own a cat.

Poor cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

DJyllx5VwAA0pSp.jpg

DJyl6jrUMAA2G3_.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

21462796_2181510581936633_7369297925749495075_n.jpg?oh=b4f65a236c0bd990d0e6332e93aa97a6&oe=5A50A67D

Advertisement