Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Greggs is a bakery chain which makes and sells sausage rolls.

Greggs recognizes and celebrates christmas.

Greggs decided to connect the two.

Lossage ensues.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/16/christian-greggs-sausage-roll-jesus-bakery-chain

433703.jpg

christian-greggs-sausage-roll-jesus-bakery-chain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

silverharp wrote: »
    DO0mi-IX0AAqkVi.jpg:small

Completly off topic, but i am really looking forward to his new show.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »

I don't see what the problem is :p some people just have no sense of humour

Like these guys:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/bakery-apologises-for-swapping-jesus-for-sausage-roll-1.3294080
    Please boycott @GreggsOfficial to protest against its sick anti-Christian Advent Calendar. What cowards these people are: we all know that they would never dare insult other religions! They should donate every penny of their profits to @salvationarmyuk https://t.co/tAV7CRP7WM
    — Simon Richards (@simplysimontfa) November 15, 2017

Out of interest do you think the people at Greggs understand that Jesus was Jewish and serving up a pork sausage roll in the manger is unbelievably inappropriate?
    — Beth Rosenberg (@bethvaughan15) November 13, 2017

Simon Richards, chief executive of the Freedom Association called for the public to boycott the bakery and claimed the advent calendar was "sick" and "anti-Christian".

He tweeted "Please boycott @GreggsOfficial to protest against its sick anti-Christian advent calendar. What cowards these people are: we all know that they would never dare insult other religions! They should donate every penny of their profits to @salvationarmyuk"

Rev Mark Edwards, a vicar in Brunswick, UK, also called for boycott of the chain. He told chroniclelive.co.uk: "Perhaps we should vote with our feet - perhaps we should say, don’t go to Greggs."

Some 'freedom association" that is! Freedom for everyone to do and say things that Simon thinks are OK. :rolleyes:

As for people voting with their feet, I think if the vicar is honest with himself he'll realise where the voting with (lack of) feet is really going on.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sausage roll in a manger? Pfft, lightweights

4b8febe72313a5485b918ef5705aa4b7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Lossage ensues
    Pork is inappropriate though.
    A tiny cheeseburger would have been OK. The baby cheesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

433872.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

recedite wrote: »
    Pork is inappropriate though.
    A tiny cheeseburger would have been OK. The baby cheesus.

Some genuis on Twitter pointed out that "Lord Jesus" spelled backwards is "Susejd Rol" (pronounce it), and since Hebrew is read right-to-left, Greggs were just praising in their own special way) :D

seamus wrote: »
    Some genuis on Twitter pointed out that "Lord Jesus" spelled backwards is "Susejd Rol" (pronounce it) [...]
    Some people have way, way too much time on their hands :rolleyes:

More twitterfluff on Greggs here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/beckybarnicoat/these-tweets-about-greggs-replacing-jesus-with-a-sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lossage ensues.

Be far worse if they had a tasty looking baby jesus in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Odhinn wrote: »
    Be far worse if they had a tasty looking baby jesus in there.

trexnativity-456.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

23561848_1513092388776911_6949895366884238696_n.jpg?oh=00992182971a534139c1d211260241a8&oe=5AA1ED16

And finally, here's Bob Katter - an independent Australian politician who does not like same-sex marriage.

Here he is last week, doing a Bilbo-meeting-Frodo-at-Rivendell thing, where he explains that the government should spend less time looking into the issue of equality for its citizens, and more time looking into attacks on the peace-loving citizens of Queensland by crocodile.

434526.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Was watching a programme once about the Foriegn legion. All the units in the base had to put up a crib at christmas and a competition was held to decide the best one, which was put up by (I think )the mountain warfare unit. which had a baby jesus in shades with his military kit on, flying down a mounstainside on skis with a fag in his gob.

(sort of an example)
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=foreign+legion+cribs+at+christmas&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjojb-85d7XAhWeF8AKHQSbAUQQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=831&dpr=1.25#imgrc=tmLcycQMDSGihM:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

And finally, here's Bob Katter - an independent Australian politician who does not like same-sex marriage.

Here he is last week, doing a Bilbo-meeting-Frodo-at-Rivendell thing, where he explains that the government should spend less time looking into the issue of equality for its citizens, and more time looking into attacks on the peace-loving citizens of Queensland by crocodile.

Bob Katter is "a character" alright. I used to really dislike him as I took what he said seriously. He is quite often playing to his audience and taking the piss. Many years ago he said that there were no homosexuals in his electorate.

You can see in that clip he was half laughing when he made that statement. The real issue is, of course, crocodile attacks on same sex honeymoon couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,332 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cant argue with the maths....

DPtrhaFXUAA6hPV.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,332 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Not sure if I approve or disapprove but epic trolling either way

DPvwvaTXUAIbzSZ.jpg:small

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

24176884_10155865389368407_9012093823565275418_n.jpg?oh=eff02331a336d4899b5b62e85cc674d4&oe=5A8F49C3

Blackfriars Priory School in Adelaide, South Australia commissioned a sculptor to sculpt a statue of St. Martin de Porres holding a loaf of bread.

Unfortunately, the school quickly ran into problems after the unveiling of the erection:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/blackfriars-priory-schools-new-statue-has-unsavoury-taste-causing-a-flurry-of-comments-on-social-media/news-story/9eafc78d4dd62508df49e8efe0e407f2

435098.jpg

• Advertisement

435105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^

am I guilty of wrong think?

Yep, Don't you dare laugh at Islam on this thread,
    Christianity fire away tho, It's PROGRESSIVE to sneer at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Yep, Don't you dare laugh at Islam on this thread,
    Christianity fire away tho, It's PROGRESSIVE to sneer at it.

I wnet back a mere 5 pages and found posts on Judaism, mormonism and yes, even Islam.

Dial in the faux outrage!

M5 wrote: »
    I wnet back a mere 5 pages and found posts on Judaism, mormonism and yes, even Islam.

Dial in the faux outrage!

With about 2 thanks on the Islam jokes and 50+ on the Catholic ones .

With about 2 thanks on the Islam jokes and 50+ on the Catholic ones .

The islam ones weren't as funny?

M5 wrote: »
    The islam ones weren't as funny?

people are afraid.

people are afraid.

Nope, the other jokes are just funnier!

FYI anything old testament applies to Islam also. You may want to revisit your statistics

Not very funny this conversation, probably against the charter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

people are afraid.

Rubbish. Very difficult to please everyone, but Jesus and Mo usually manage to cover most bases ;)

2017-06-29.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It goes back to Dara O'Briain's explanation about why he takes the piss out of Christianity, but not about Islam - because few of us know enough about the nitty-gritty of Islam to be amused by satire.

Case in point:

kGaww.jpg

I remember seeing this as a teenager and thinking it was just one of those crazy abstract Larson cartoons that I didn't get. It was more than a decade before I actually understood it, and even then just found it mildly amusing; because the basis for the cartoon is not something I had a constant exposure to.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    It goes back to Dara O'Briain's explanation about why he takes the piss out of Christianity, but not about Islam - because few of us know enough about the nitty-gritty of Islam to be amused by satire.

Case in point:

kGaww.jpg

I remember seeing this as a teenager and thinking it was just one of those crazy abstract Larson cartoons that I didn't get. It was more than a decade before I actually understood it, and even then just found it mildly amusing; because the basis for the cartoon is not something I had a constant exposure to.

Dara O Bhrian is afraid to mock Islam as he would most likely be murdered.
    He speaks of plenty of things in his show that aren't uniquely Irish like the classic Irish catholic upbringing so it's a lame excuse.

Anyway, just to somehow get back on topic
    This is probably my favourite parody twitter account right now:

https://twitter.com/ThatBloke_Jesus/status/924632342219640832

Advertisement