Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

and im not saying they would be offended, but why apologise?
    He says it right there FFS, he's apologising because he just made up some nonsense about Islam to demonstrate his point, so a Muslim who heard it would be thinking, "WTF is he talking about?".

A bit like the SNL Aer Lingus sketch where Irish people weren't offended, just bewildered by a confusing and unfunny setup.

If you think that was "grovelling" and pleading not to be killed, then that says more about your bias tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ill get it ...

https://youtu.be/QJHzwiYG8bM?t=64

and im not saying they would be offended, but why apologise?

He's parodying the exact attitude you're displaying. The faux apology is for potentially causing confusion by playing on the gullibility of general ignorance of Muslim traditions. The sketch is taking a dig at the hard right Christians for suggesting that he doesn't take make fun of the Muslims because he's afraid of them, which is clearly nonsense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] lets be honest there is an area public people won't touch - for sane and obvious reasons, lets not pretend otherwise.
    Chris Morris not so much touched it, but gave it a good kicking:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Lions

robindch wrote: »
    Chris Morris not so much touched it, but gave it a good kicking:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Lions

As did Parker and Stone in Team America among many others. Islamic terrorists have largely replaced dodgy Russkies as Hollywood's stereotypical bad guys. To suggest that Western entertainment and media are afraid of offending Muslims seems unfounded. Anyhoo, just to keep on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

smacl wrote: »
    He's parodying the exact attitude you're displaying.
    Not really. The assertion was that he is afraid to tell jokes about Islam.
    His response was to say the real reason he doesn't tell the jokes is because of the general ignorance about Islam (on the part of himself, and of the audience)
    To prove this ignorance, he makes up an unfunny story (possibly, but not really) about Islam.
    Not surprisingly, nobody has ever heard of the cake-eating golden horse.
    This is supposed to prove their ignorance of Islam?

He got a laugh anyway, so I suppose that is the main thing from his perspective.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    This is supposed to prove their ignorance of Islam?

No, it is supposed to illustrate the point that he is making, i.e. if he made up some random nonsense and related it to Islam, he'd probably get away with it. It is also exaggerated for comic effect (hence the laughs) and I'd imagine not intended to prove anything. Worth remembering that this is humour, fabricated to get laughs, over-analysing it as serious rhetoric is rather missing the point. There's no shortage of valid and serious criticisms of Islam without the need to make things up like they're going to go all jihadi on our comedians. And again back on topic;

436010.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I remember when this thread used to be a bit of fun

coolhull wrote: »
    I remember when this thread used to be a bit of fun

So maybe post something humorous

religions.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

DQ1WQ4xU8AA4qbV.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"Satirist attempts to write Muhammad joke in bid to appease angry ‘Christians’"

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2017/12/11/satirist-attempts-write-muhammad-joke-bid-appease-angry-christians/
    A writer for the internet’s biggest Rochdale-based satire site, The Rochdale Herald, has spent the past 15 minutes trying to conjure up some sort of Muhammad joke in a bid to appease a bunch of angry ‘Christians’, according to reports. Part-time satirist Charlie Stuart, who will spend this entire article talking about himself in the third person like a total weirdo, told the Herald that he had decided to attempt the joke in order to balance out the gag he made yesterday about Mary and Joseph appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show.

“Why is it whenever you make some sort of joke about Jesus or the Bible they always insist that you then write something silly about Muhammad?” he said. “It’s never Guru Nanak or Moses or Buddha they want picked on, it’s Muhammad. Why just him? There are hundreds of religions out there, all equally as stupid as each other, so why is it always just Muslims they want to offend?

“Now I’m not necessarily saying that these people are bigots, and I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that they’re almost always ‘patriotic’ Leave voters who seem to conflate nationality with religious affiliation, but they could at least make the effort not to look like a bunch of petty Islamaphobes.” Stuart explained that he had been tempted to do a bit of research on Islam to ensure that the jokes he crafted were informed, incisive and of the utmost quality, but then he realised that he really couldn’t be arsed because it was eating into his day off.

“Right, here goes: How many Muhammads does it take to change a light bulb? None, because the lightbulb wasn’t invented until 1200 years after his death!

“How about: Why does Muhammad always have mint sauce with his favourite type of meat? Because islam! Is lamb! Get it?!

“No, okay, how about this one: Knock, knock. Who’s there? Allah. Allah who? Allah hu akbar!

“Tough crowd, try this: Where does Muhammad go to play bingo? Nowhere, because bingo is a form of gambling, which is prohibited in Islam!

“Right, last one: Why doesn’t Muhammad like bacon rolls? Because the ****er’s never had to deal with a hangover!

“Actually, not sure about that last one. Felt a bit Jayda Fransen. And that’s something you never want to feel. Well, not without a thick pair of gloves and a shedload of disinfectant.”

Stuart denied that he avoided making fun of Muhammad because he was scared of Islamic fundamentalists, and said that he was more comfortable attracting the ire of Christian fundamentalists because he didn’t fit into their victim profile. “As much as they are a bunch of evil bastards, Islamic extremists at least have the balls to kill you in person,” he said. “Christian fundamentalists, in contrast, tend to get themselves elected into public office instead, where they can bring in laws that will kill people they don’t like without them ever having to miss their taxpayer-subsidised lunch.

“In short, I’m not scared of Christian fundamentalists because I’m not gay, female, pregnant, disabled, impoverished, mentally ill or a child. “Now next time you want to whinge about something being ‘offensive’ to Christianity, please stop to ask yourself if you’ve ever voted for someone who’s supported legislation targeting the most vulnerable people in our society. And then never do it again.

“It’s what Jesus would have wanted.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

robindch wrote: »
    "Satirist attempts to write Muhammad joke in bid to appease angry ‘Christians’"

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2017/12/11/satirist-attempts-write-muhammad-joke-bid-appease-angry-christians/

I stopped reading at "Islamaphobes" .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I stopped reading at "Islamaphobes" .....

....because it's a very long word?

(sorry, couldn't resist, so beautifully marked and down-wind as well)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I wonder if the Catholics who give out about satirists lampooning them more often than other religions are the same Catholics who insist that this is a predominantly Catholic country and the religion should therefore have a special place in our schools, legal system and hospitals?

mikhail wrote: »
    I wonder if the Catholics who give out about satirists lampooning them more often than other religions are the same Catholics who insist that this is a predominantly Catholic country and the religion should therefore have a special place in our schools, legal system and hospitals?

They've probably just taken the hump because they thought that after many decades of having the piss taken out of them by every comedian going, the Muslims would take a bit of heat off them. And on the subject of Catholics and schools, Dave Allen still holds out well after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Love Dave Allen. Even my very catholic mother had to crack a smile at his very well done gags and sketches back in the day. She went to mass every week all her life and every day when she retired :eek: but still was pretty wary of the nuns and thought that too many of them were pompous self-aggrandisers, especially the ones in charge.

I suppose I just took the critical eye to another level :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,332 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

DRFOgIuX0AAmPGc.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Comedians ripping on religion, surprised no one's brought this man into the equation. For shame.

DRKYGrJVAAALNUZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

436415.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

25399177_1842230942735500_5679887732606057527_n.jpg?oh=507994567f0712949ba597392b2334d4&oe=5AD2C481

DRfnu6YW4AEYotK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

25550266_10213964691328030_3912138422922525497_n.jpg?oh=3f5d19825e85c466e7d18c9ce2329e40&oe=5AC2CC2E

They are making it a bit too obvious there :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Holy Flying Cock at the top of that image shows that the depicted union is blessed.

436824.jpg

You see a cock, I see a headless, armless woman

Not sure what that says about either of us :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I see a phoenix rising.

Oh wait...

Maybe it's not a phoenix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

s7a3qOb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

^^ all 9 and a half inches!

Sometimes a phoenix is just a phoenix.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    ^^ all 9 and a half inches!

Lucky girl (once they're married of course)

Advertisement