Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It is kinda funny how popular the name Mo is, even in Ireland, whereas the picture is a big no no.
    I can't imagine anyone calling their child Jesus (well, outside of Mexico anyway) yet having the Jesus sacred heart picture on the wall is fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

recedite wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone calling their child Jesus (well, outside of Mexico anyway) yet having the Jesus sacred heart picture on the wall is fine.

Not forgetting pervert Jesus from the Big Labowski

Humperdoo wins all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Peregrinus wrote: »
    There's no magic involved. The offensiveness stems from the fact that your purpose in identifying the stick figure as Mohammed is to give offence.

Defending it - pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Defending it - pathetic.
    I'm not defending it. I'm explaining it, or at least trying to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

recedite wrote: »
    It is kinda funny how popular the name Mo is, even in Ireland, whereas the picture is a big no no.

I have always found that practice in the Muslim world most peculiar. What stuns me much more than that obvious fact is that I have never ever heard anyone mention it on any forum or anywhere until today. It's weird cause it's like something we all know but there seems to be some kind of social embargo on mentioning it.

What is comical is I wonder how they distinguish themselves from each other when ever second or third Muslim man appears to be called Mo. In any extended family there must be dozens of them.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I have always found that practice in the Muslim world most peculiar.
    Why is it peculiar?
    What stuns me much more than that obvious fact is that I have never ever heard anyone mention it on any forum or anywhere until today. It's weird cause it's like something we all know but there seems to be some kind of social embargo on mentioning it.
    Or, maybe it's because there's nothing peculiar about it. Just a thought.
    What is comical is I wonder how they distinguish themselves from each other when ever second or third Muslim man appears to be called Mo. In any extended family there must be dozens of them.
    Names run in families in lots of cultures, AllForIt, including our own. Irish families seem to cope perfectly well with lots of members named, say, Joe, or John, or Patrick, or Mary, or Catherine. We cope, somehow.

Peregrinus, are you a solicitor or a barrister or something because your arguments sometimes are so absurd that I think you will them out of fresh air just for your own enjoyment of your own ingenuity.

What's absurd about observing that lots of cultures have some names that are very common, and other names that are less common?

What's absurd about asking you to explain why you think this is peculiar?

[These are genuine questions.]

What's absurd about observing that lots of cultures have some names that are very common, and other names that are less common?

What's absurd about asking you to explain why you think this is peculiar?

[These are genuine questions.]

Without a doubt you work in Law in one way or the other from that reply.

Highly skilled at skirting the subject and twisting the subject at hand.

• Advertisement

Without a doubt you work in Law in one way or the other from that reply.

Highly skilled at skirting the subject and twisting the subject at hand.
    The "subject at hand" is your post #5347. If you don't want to discuss the issues raised in your post, perhaps posting them on a discussion board was, with hindsight, not your best strategy.

The "subject at hand" is your post #5347. If you don't want to discuss the issues raised in your post, perhaps posting them on a discussion board was, with hindsight, not your best strategy.

Ah, bit of a strategist expert are you?

Nice try.

So, you're not keen to discuss the points you posted for discussion, then?

So, you're not keen to discuss the points you posted for discussion, then?

Absolutely right, I've no intention of discussing the point I made.

There, now, that wasn't so difficult after all, was it? There was no need at all to spin off into speculations about how I earn my crust, and then make yourself ridiculous by accusing others of skirting the subject and twisting the subject at hand. Always best to get straight to the point, I find.

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/top-baby-boy-names-2017

Top boys name in 2017 in the UK is Mohammad, or Muhammad or variations off. Prolly a few Mohammad al Mohammads in there also, <giggles>.

Now given I doubt any non Muslim British citizens called their son Mohammad <giggles> I guess all of those come from the Muslim community.

Are you posting again about a subject you don't wish to discuss?

Are you posting again about a subject you don't wish to discuss?

What's to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I think a couple of ye should take time out and read the thread title again and cheer the f##k up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm not defending it. I'm explaining it, or at least trying to.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

anything good in The Catholic Herald today?

452101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As pointed out on Reddit, someone really missed a trick by not putting "repeal" across the Repear's cloak.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mod:
    Absolutely right, I've no intention of discussing the point I made.
    In that case, you might like to cease posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

My drug dealer started dressing up as a Jehovah's Witness so he wouldn't arouse suspicion. ... He eventually got arrested after the police saw that people let him in.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Said with ne'er a drop of irony....
    The Catholic Bishop of Waterford has questioned the ability of Irish people to think critically, accusing some Yes voters in last week’s abortion referendum of “culpable ignorance”.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/bishop-condemns-jumping-and-roaring-over-poll-result-1.3516704

Odhinn wrote: »

That's exactly where I stopped reading, even for giggles that's too on the nose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

452353.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cabaal wrote: »
    anything good in The Catholic Herald today?

Article here

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/june-1st-2018/irish-catholicism-will-now-have-to-be-defiantly-counter-cultural/

Some right whoppers in there, including that RTE conducted a Stalinist anti-RCC campaign in the 1980s, ffs. Presumably the angelus twice a day and mass every Sunday was only a smokescreen... :rolleyes:

I agree with this bit though :p
    Religious education in Catholic schools has been terrible for decades.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I agree with this bit though :p

I presume they mean that they are unable to brainwash the kids deeply enough any more.

Advertisement