Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You didn't use the proper super- and sub-scripting in your post I notice.

*whistles*

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

tumblr_lfk08pFrp21qaz1iqo1_500-465x500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

301583.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

People are fecking crazy, there is no other explanation really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

robindch wrote: »
    All that needs to be said on the topic:

http://www.brickbible.com

Idolatry!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not funny, but kinda odd I suppose.

I think Indiana Jones had it right, if a man called Jesus did exist...he sure didn';t drink out of some fancy cup

I think they have chosen unwisely......
    I'm not sure if it's in the Guardian article, but it's claimed that the jewels and the gold have been added over the centuries, but the original cup is just a plain ceramic (or whatever) goblet underneath all that. In fairness, if you look at the picture the gold banding does look scrappy and messy, so it seems plausible.

seamus wrote: »
    so it seems plausible.

Until you remember that we are talking about a magic cup from 2000-ish years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Until you remember that we are talking about a magic cup from 2000-ish years ago
    I mean the bit about the extra adornments is plausible, not the bit about the cup's origins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FanMahBrow

Street Fighter II - Church Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-K6XMrLNJM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jernal wrote: »
    We should have to use LaTeX all the time!
    LaTeX - drool.

Had a beer with Donald some years back when he gave a lacture in Dublin. In addition to his software engineering, turns out he plays the pipe organ too. Lots to talk about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

LaTeX - drool.

Had a beer with Donald some years back when he gave a lacture in Dublin. In addition to his software engineering, turns out he plays the pipe organ too. Lots to talk about :)

So he played the old "pipe organ" and then "lactured". You sure it was just the one beer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    We should have to use LaTeX all the time!
    Potential forum charter change me thinks.

I use latex for keeping on me fake beard but it seems pointless otherwise unless I am working in a sterile environment :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's in the Guardian article, but it's claimed that the jewels and the gold have been added over the centuries, but the original cup is just a plain ceramic (or whatever) goblet underneath all that. In fairness, if you look at the picture the gold banding does look scrappy and messy, so it seems plausible.

Onyx, so still not the cup of a Jewish carpenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I use latex for keeping on me fake beard but it seems pointless otherwise unless I am working in a sterile environment :confused:
    No, no..it has other uses. I use latex for
    .....oh wait, wrong forum. Sorry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I use Latex all the time, its so good, so close to the skin, specifically when I put it on, the feeling that it provides
    mentally from a health and safety viewpoint as I work in a lab and have to wear gloves for my protection.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I use Latex all the time, its so good, so close to the skin, specifically when I put it on, the feeling that it provides
    mentally from a health and safety viewpoint as I work in a lab and have to wear gloves for my protection.

At least you don't have to wear stupid f**king nitrile gloves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Latex...that's the stuff
    willy nappies
    are made from, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Why are we talking using spoilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

WHO THE FCUK ARE YOU TO QUESTION SACRED TRADITION!?
    :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Why are we talking using spoilers?

Ssshh, the kids are asleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

AstraMonti wrote: »
    People are fecking crazy, there is no other explanation really.

I've always seen these things as quite normal, I don't see the people as being crazy fwiw. To explain: we all live lives that are pretty strange, we've very quickly turned into hyper social animals, connected to potentially anyone and everyone in the world. It wasn't long ago that we were living in small communities,with very different societal pressures. The lives that a lot of us are living nowadays are pretty mad if you think about it- corporate lifestyle for example, it's quite a difference from tilling the soil and growing your own food.

So in this life where we have our societal pressures, we can't just go around doing our animalistic reactions, we manage our actions and thoughts. I see these exorcisms simply as turning to a more primitive thought/action process. The modern brain gives control over to the ancient brain, and the person just does and says what they want, and they shout out against things/people that annoy them. All these things that they aren't allowed to do, but in doing so, they are totally letting off steam. Just like those hippy communes in the 60s that had primal scream sessions, this is simply getting back to basics. And it's ok in this environment because they are accepted to shout and scream, it's cool, because it's been labelled as an exorcism. I think this is how stage hypnotism works also..

So the woman in that video who is telling the priest to shut up, and that he's a dirty dog, it's probably what she really thinks of the guy, but isn't allowed to say it normally. And she can easily click back into her present day reality by brushing it off as an evil spirit.

301712.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

india.jpg

301864.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

@Gordon I have to admit I 've never thought about it that way, interesting way of interpreting it. I kinda doubt though that would be the norm, all of it feels just too much. Especially if this was in a village where typical Greeks are afraid what their neighbour would say I found it hard that they would voluntarily go and submit their selves in that kind of public humiliation.

302068.gif

302207.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

993032_10152327524334802_1800330854_n.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A little late for April first, a US archbishop clarifies - "yes, Jesus is fine with alligator on Fridays during lent"

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/alligator-ok-to-eat-on-lenten-fridays-archbishop-clarifies/

302228.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

A little late for April first, a US archbishop clarifies - "yes, Jesus is fine with alligator on Fridays during lent"

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/alligator-ok-to-eat-on-lenten-fridays-archbishop-clarifies/

302228.jpg

A bit of beaver is fine to eat too. Possibly not if you're female, I'd have to double check on popepedia.

Advertisement