Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Alligator is fish now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sure this is fish too

6a010535647bf3970b015433fc97e2970c-500wi
    wiki wrote:
    In parts of South America, especially in Venezuela, capybara meat is popular during Lent and Holy Week as the Catholic Church previously gave a special dispensation that allows for its consumption while other meats are generally forbidden.

Also happened for beavers.
    More of this 'fish' here:
    he Bishop of Quebec approached his superiors in the Church and asked whether his flock would be permitted to eat beaver meat on Fridays during Lent, despite the fact that meat-eating was forbidden. Since the semi-aquatic rodent was a skilled swimmer, the Church declared that the beaver was a fish.
    the capybara, as a fish for dietary purposes. The critter, the largest rodent in the world, is commonly eaten during Lent in Venezuela.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

302250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

At least with beaver there kindddddd of is a connection to water. Capybara .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So beaver and capybara, both rodents and therefore mammals, are declared "fish" by the church?

Now where's JC? He was always claiming that we (mammals) didn't crawl out of the water...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Catholic church actually does state that evolution is in line with its teachings

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jernal wrote: »
    Beaver? Capybara? You're getting caught up in trivialities. Need to keep your heart open. Etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Jernal wrote: »

...lives near water, swims well, eats aquatic plants. Close enough? Could be equally said of a number of creatures though. But we were all fish n stuff, waaay back about ....what, about 200,000,000 years ago?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So beaver and capybara, both rodents and therefore mammals, are declared "fish" by the church?

Now where's JC? He was always claiming that we (mammals) didn't crawl out of the water...

And I'm suddenly figuring out how Noah got all the 'animals' on the ark, with all the 'fish' swimming alongside. Rather reminds me of another favourite fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

popepedia.

You know, I'm getting the strange feeling that the above word is missing an "a" somewhere. I wonder why?

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    ...lives near water, swims well, eats aquatic plants. Close enough? Could be equally said of a number of creatures though. But we were all fish n stuff, waaay back about ....what, about 200,000,000 years ago?

There is an aquatic ape hypothesis of human evolution.

It's probably wrong, but it's an interesting idea nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Is Jesus body a fish too? Maybe on good Friday the bread turns into fish but it's meat the rest of the year round? Of course that would imply once a year as well as being a zombie Jesus would be a mermaid too.

I need to go away and think this out.

May the zombie mermaid Jesus guide me

Is Jesus body a fish too? Maybe on good Friday the bread turns into fish but it's meat the rest of the year round? Of course that would imply once a year as well as being a zombie Jesus would be a mermaid too.

I need to go away and think this out.

May the zombie mermaid Jesus guide me

Good (I typed "Food" first) question, and one that many have asked before. This seems to suggest that people have determined that clergy are actually fish, which should shed some light on the issue:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/neither_fish,_flesh,_nor_good_red_herring

Neither fish, flesh, nor good red herring.

"The three foods are metonyms for those things suitable to each of a Mediæval society’s classes of people; fish represents the clergy, flesh represents commoners, whilst red herring represents paupers; the three classes are simplistically regarded as exhaustive."

To "make fish of one, and flesh of another" can also be called into question here (Irish saying, apparently). Yes, which is which - that seems to be an issue for our times.....

Gosh, just turned up this in google. It's a thought, and that's why I like art.

finalflatfowl.jpg

http://phantomlimbcompany.com/flesh-and-blood/

Off to investigate further....a crisis is happening, and I must respond!! Bat cape in tow....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

the-dar-301.jpg?w=500&h=385

Damn you with your answers to life's deep questions Banna :mad: I shall back off with my fish theories, saving one just for you. Sent at my leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

God does it again.

37ab1b7f-5e16-4c8e-afbf-d3c747b2b21e_zpsfc2c35b4.jpg

(Though in fairness I think Unicorns are from a mistranslation introduced by the writers of the KJV.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Damn you with your answers to life's deep questions Banna :mad: I shall back off with my fish theories, saving one just for you. Sent at my leisure.

...theres nothing worse than a smartarse. Except maybe a woman. Or a corkonian. Or an academic, with their booky smartarsery.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...theres nothing worse than a smartarse. Except maybe a woman. Or a corkonian. Or an academic, with their booky smartarsery.

Natch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

302355.gif302356.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

"The three foods are metonyms for those things suitable to each of a Mediæval society’s classes of people; fish represents the clergy, flesh represents commoners, whilst red herring represents paupers; the three classes are simplistically regarded as exhaustive."

To "make fish of one, and flesh of another" can also be called into question here (Irish saying, apparently). Yes, which is which - that seems to be an issue for our times.....

Why do you think the rcc went and stole the fish head hat off the high priest of Dagon.
    image005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

1979853_10202554991530899_587506399608570025_n.jpg?oh=7bb9c3f45dbc9dd1e4c9c5da4ddaa561&oe=53A454F2

Forgiveness with visa points.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

10006187_2176828559039050_3156031569089737714_n.png

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

10245501_790126164408422_1194873711444771305_n.jpg?oh=2b75678c3ddd9d5ed673d853a290ac76&oe=53B83F1D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'll just leave this here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I just saw that now, and was about to post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

That's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. :D

smokingman wrote: »
    That's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. :D

It is very funny - for us. I'm just a bit disturbed that this is going viral and may actually reach more deaf people than it ever would have without the added song making it funny :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It is very funny - for us. I'm just a bit disturbed that this is going viral and may actually reach more deaf people than it ever would have without the added song making it funny :eek::eek:
    That doesn't matter. It isn't as if the thing will be taken seriously in its original form. Indeed, it can be helpful for people to see just how dumb religion makes people.. Those people who haven't got the memo, so to speak.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That doesn't matter. It isn't as if the thing will be taken seriously in its original form. Indeed, it can be helpful for people to see just how dumb religion makes people.. Those people who haven't got the memo, so to speak.

Hmm. I'm still disturbed. Would be better with lyrics and a rhythm bounce-ball thingy ;)

Advertisement