Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

robindch wrote: »
    Worztron has been carded for posting a racist comment.

Everyone can see that by the big red text and red card on my previous post.

That "[RACIST COMMENT DELETED]" was only a joke. More politically correct madness.

It's hypocritical that the many jokes about other nationalities are not replaced with [RACIST COMMENT DELETED].

You should have left the joke there and let others decide.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Worz, I enjoy a lot of your posts, but your last joke wasn't mocking religion, it was mocking ethnicity, and IMO that's not on. One can change ones religion, after all.

FWIW it was I that reported your post as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Worztron wrote: »
    Everyone can see that by the big red text and red card on my previous post.

That "[RACIST COMMENT DELETED]" was only a joke. More politically correct madness.

It's hypocritical that the many jokes about other nationalities are not replaced with [RACIST COMMENT DELETED].

You should have left the joke there and let others decide.

Yeah, but what you have to realise about this site is that [ANTI MOD CONTENT DELETED]. If you just [SECRETS OF THE MODS CENSORED], then there's no way [PERSONAL REMARKS DELETED]. After all at the end of the day, this thread is about [CENSORED JUST FOR FUN].

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    You weren't the only person who reported it.

Race, as jewishness tends to be in practice, is something one can't change and it's tasteless and unhelpful to mock an attribute which one had no part in choosing, particularly when -- and I'm trying to avoid godwinning myself here -- that exact joke was doing the rounds 80 years ago in a certain large country to the east of us which subsequently lost the run of itself.

Also, and speaking just for myself here, the joke wasn't funny (but that's not a cardable offence; yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Race, as jewishness tends to be in practice, is something one can't change and it's tasteless and unhelpful to mock an attribute which one had no part in choosing, particularly when -- and I'm trying to avoid godwinning myself here -- that exact joke was doing the rounds 80 years ago in a certain large country to the east of us which subsequently lost the run of itself.

Also, and speaking just for myself here, the joke wasn't funny (but that's not a cardable offence; yet).

YOU FAILED!!!!
    I feel like I missed out on some possible internet rage, by not seeing that post

137081GodwinsLawSTRIKESAGAIN.jpg

• Advertisement

Way to ruin my 'It was I...!' moment Rob, throwing back my cape with a dramatic flourish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Way to ruin my 'It was I...!' moment Rob, throwing back my cape with a dramatic flourish etc.

You were the most important person who reported it. Truth be told, any time you report a post, Rob, Dades or I's pager goes off, we instantly stop what we're doing and rush to the computer/internet device, to log on and deal with the situation! You're that important.

Turtwig wrote: »
    You were the most important person who reported it. Truth be told, any time you report a post, Rob, Dades or I's pager goes off, we instantly stop what we're doing and rush to the computer/internet device, to log on and deal with the situation! You're that important.

I'd imagined a red telephone, the silhouette of an A in the sky, a nod silently exchanged, dissonant notes played on a piano and a bookshelf sliding back etc...

Worz, I enjoy a lot of your posts, but your last joke wasn't mocking religion, it was mocking ethnicity, and IMO that's not on. One can change ones religion, after all.

Judaism was the link to religion. It was only a joke. This all seems like a storm in a teacup.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This all seems like a storm in a teacup.

First you post something that's not funny, and get defensive about it. Then you post something overtly racist, and get defensive about it.

Rather than get defensive, maybe you should take a step back and try to understand where the lines are drawn.

• Advertisement

I'd imagined a red telephone, the silhouette of an A in the sky, a nod silently exchanged, dissonant notes played on a piano and a bookshelf sliding back etc...

Austerity hit us hard. :(
    (There were also some concerns that the starlight often gave the veil of appearance of a plus beside the silhouette of the A! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The nose joke was too far and not funny worz, no positives in making those kinds of jabs, it's the kind of joke kids would have told in school 20 years ago, like the polo mint and the drowning Ethiopian joke. Not actually a joke at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Gordon wrote: »
    The nose joke was too far and not funny worz, no positives in making those kinds of jabs, it's the kind of joke kids would have told in school 20 years ago, like the polo mint and the drowning Ethiopian joke. Not actually a joke at all tbh.

Awww feck...now I want to hear the polo mint and the Ethiopian joke so I can get outraged. :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_n6bbbcK0d21qezziho1_400.jpg
    tumblr_n4oinaOIY61taor8xo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n6b6gngZuK1smpm6vo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n6b430vofp1smpm6vo1_1280.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

1184759_835721583115521_1298309568618412722_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

I would like to think that this is funny but I am not sure. It is certainly the most bizarre story I have seen recently. It is all about the

MONEY... MONEY... MONEY...

Indian court asked to rule on whether Hindu guru dead or meditating
    The family and followers of one of India's wealthiest Hindu spiritual leaders are fighting a legal battle over whether he is dead or simply in a deep state of meditation.

His Holiness Shri Ashutosh Maharaj, the founder of the Divya Jyoti Jagrati Sansthan religious order with a property estate worth an estimated £100 million, died in January, according to his wife and son.

However, his disciples at his Ashram have refused to let the family take his body for cremation because they claim he is still alive.

According to his followers, based in the Punjab city of Jalandhar, he simply went into a deep Samadhi or meditation and they have frozen his body to preserve it for when he wakes from it.

His body is currently contained in a commercial freezer at their Ashram.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Bellatori wrote: »
    I would like to think that this is funny but I am not sure. It is certainly the most bizarre story I have seen recently. It is all about the

MONEY... MONEY... MONEY...

Indian court asked to rule on whether Hindu guru dead or meditating

:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dma-817.jpg

Archer is the best!
    sermon_john-oliver.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Love this :D

oscarBravo wrote: »
    First you post something that's not funny, and get defensive about it. Then you post something overtly racist, and get defensive about it.

Rather than get defensive, maybe you should take a step back and try to understand where the lines are drawn.
    Gordon wrote: »

Humor is subjective.

Replying is not automatically being defensive.

You say "overtly racist". Really? You should crusade all over Boards and jump on every joke about the Irish, English, Scottish, and many other races.

Steer clear of things like Family Guy and some of the funniest comedians around because you may get offended.

308960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Humor is subjective.

Replying is not automatically being defensive.

You say "overtly racist". Really? You should crusade all over Boards and jump on every joke about the Irish, English, Scottish, and many other races.

Steer clear of things like Family Guy and some of the funniest comedians around because you may get offended.

in fairness though while edgy comics like Seth and Louie CK can fly quite close to the edge ,we excuse them because they are very very funny.

Your jokes are more akin to Roy Chubby Brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

1BI9p87.jpg

in fairness though while edgy comics like Seth and Louie CK can fly quite close to the edge ,we excuse them because they are very very funny.

Your jokes are more akin to Roy Chubby Brown.

Don't be dishonest, they go way beyond the edge -- that's a big part of why they are so very funny. You do like your double standards.

309016.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Move on please. Enough analysis of a mod decision.

Kthxbye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Not sure if this has been posted but it is very funny.

http://www.tickld.com/x/i-wish-this-man-was-my-father-hes-hilarious

• Advertisement

On a not-unrelated topic to an current discussion:

309025.jpg

Advertisement