Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

279073.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I only ever get to see it when someone posts a link here.

It's the closest thing you could ever get to actually being able to hear the thoughts of the mentally ill. It's kinda like being Dr. Doolittle for an hour or two. Priceless:D

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_mvttd9898l1rlzfo2o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mvnjv0BcVj1rlzfo2o1_500.png

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I like Christmas.

I am more than happy to have a tradition of making time to be with family and friends, to feel good in giving gifts to others and GETTING presents!

I celebrate the christmas season much like I would Halloween, where you can separate the religious mumbo jumbo from the good aspects

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

I think Dawkins said something along the same lines and half off the cuff regarded it as being a 'cultural Christian'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Christianity (and other religions, I imagine) does have good aspects that we can adapt to modern life, just because we do not accept the idea of a deity doesn't mean that we should reject positives learnings also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

1390649_10151951444455155_502383645_n.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I like Christmas.

I am more than happy to have a tradition of making time to be with family and friends, to feel good in giving gifts to others and GETTING presents!

I celebrate the christmas season much like I would Halloween, where you can separate the religious mumbo jumbo from the good aspects

I despise it personally, the rank consumerism and the coca-cola Santa even more than the religious tone. Only started celebrating it at the behest of herself after the kids were born, and never enjoyed it. Anyhoo, enough of me being a miserable old see you next tuesday, This be the funnies page.

santa-toilet-funny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

smacl wrote: »
    I despise it personally, the rank consumerism and the coca-cola Santa even more than the religious tone.

In fairness you can't blame the christians for the idea of a good mid-winter piss-up (and a mighty good idea it is too) because they stole it from the pagans.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Screw Christmas, festivus is where it's at:D

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    In fairness you can't blame the christians for the idea of a good mid-winter piss-up (and a mighty good idea it is too) because they stole it from the pagans.

I don't. I blame the yanks primarily, and the Christians to a lesser extent, for turning a perfectly good piss up into being stuck with the mother in-law for three days, wasting a fortune on tat that gets dumped a few weeks later, and robbing me of a precious few days of time off that I could be otherwise enjoying. New years on the other hand remains a perfectly good piss up, just as the pagans intended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

smacl wrote: »
    I don't. I blame the yanks primarily, and the Christians to a lesser extent, for turning a perfectly good piss up into being stuck with the mother in-law for three days, wasting a fortune on tat that gets dumped a few weeks later, and robbing me of a precious few days of time off that I could be otherwise enjoying. New years on the other hand remains a perfectly good piss up, just as the pagans intended :)

Do what I do - decamp to the back of beyond for the duration. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

koth wrote: »
    tumblr_mvnjv0BcVj1rlzfo2o1_500.png
    That reminds me. I must dig out my christmas thread...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'll just have a quick peek at t'udder forum...
    The thing though is that it was the accursed line of Cain from which cities (and I presume also technology) sprang while the God fearing line of Abel led pastoral simple lives in harmony with nature. Also according to the Book of Enoch which is quoted in the New Testament and taken as Scripture by the Ethiopian Church (the true Religion in Ethiopia goes back to the time of Solomon) it was fallen angels who brought various technological knowledge to earth. Technology is kind of sinful in that comes out of an effort to dominate and seek outward distraction and pleasure.

lolwut?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'll just have a quick peek at t'udder forum...

lolwut?

I just love that someone posted that on de interweb.

Maybe we could shame them out of it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

1380726_10151920532885155_586891832_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tumblr_mvsa18SEtG1r539hzo1_1280.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Tenuous link to this forum? Only two gay dads could be this awesome for their child (cause let's face it, Iron Man turning up with the Black Widow just wouldn't cut it) and we have a thread about gay marriage blah blah!

31e78033616b12ce1821a582628551194e438aea0c31b0db326951f382d108e2.jpg

Ah well, if we're doing tenuous, and seeing that it's a Friday, an old favourite on the joys of self delusion;

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Looks photoshopped to me. Else, they hired in a bunch of really dreadful painters.
    e_e wrote:
    279512.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

robindch wrote: »
    Looks photoshopped to me. Else, they hired in a bunch of really dreadful painters.

Oh ye of little faith.
    (Maybe there's symbolism here in the non-fancy painting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

How dare you question my faith in it being being real! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's an amateur fresco restorer who is available, I hear...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

403741.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

oVXez.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

And sure one more while I'm at it.

DmJ92.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I never knew the bible had gems like this in it!

attachment.php?attachmentid=744412&d=1375221337
    23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Was not expecting the last bit. :pac:

• Advertisement

I remember an image with a wall of text next to it, when Elisha/Elijah was replaced by a SS officer in this story, but instead of two bears killing the boys, it was SS officers.

Advertisement