Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

aRMtT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

339649.jpg

339650.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

339689.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That tree stump was ages ago, what happened to it? Is it still there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Apparently a Catholic priest has had a controversial near-death ezperience:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/dead-for-48-minutes-this-catholic-priest-claims-god-is-female/1/420203.html

Well, isn't that a turnup for the books?

Supporting evidence for the claim:

http://www.womensordination.org/resources/female-images-of-god-in-the-bible/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Saving Christmas" has just picked up four Razzies for Worst Actor, Worst Screenplay, Worst Picture and Worst Screen Combo for - get this - Kirk Cameron and his ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

looksee wrote: »
    That tree stump was ages ago, what happened to it? Is it still there?

Its being promoted to a class 3 relic.

Nah, its in Limerick, probably taken for a joy ride and found burnt out in southill

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

339719.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Its being promoted to a class 3 relic.

Nah, its in Limerick, probably taken for a joy ride and found burnt out in southill

Last time I looked (3/4 mths ago) it was still there with bits and bobs around it. The local priest is still not on board with people venerating a tree, but uou can visit anytime. The graveyard next door makes for interesting 'cultural' viewing.

Christian mum from Christians Against Dinosaurs is so worried about "dinosaurs being forced on our children" that she makes a vertical video about it. With scare-quote goodness.

The fail is strong in this one.

http://guff.com/christian-parent-is-sick-of-dinosaurs-being-forced-on-kids/20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    Christian mum from Christians Against Dinosaurs is so worried about "dinosaurs being forced on our children" that she makes a vertical video about it. With scare-quote goodness.

The fail is strong in this one.

http://guff.com/christian-parent-is-sick-of-dinosaurs-being-forced-on-kids/20

Am I the only one, or does someone else find her quite good looking, despite being made of 100% concentrated fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Am I the only one, or does someone else find her quite good looking, despite being made of 100% concentrated fail?

How is it men (I'm generalising wildly I know, but there have been a few of these "but at least she's gorgeous" comments about this freakishly unintelligent young woman) can see past the 100% fail?! I just don't get it. I mean, David Quinn is a reasonable enough looking bloke, but he's such a sh1t that I can't possibly see his looks separately. What's with the constant "Oh she's an absolute muppet, but I'd give her one" stuff?! Genuinely curious as to how anyone deems themselves capable of seeing past the rampant bull-sh1t to the looks....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shrap wrote: »
    How is it men (I'm generalising wildly I know, but there have been a few of these "but at least she's gorgeous" comments about this freakishly unintelligent young woman) can see past the 100% fail?! I just don't get it. I mean, David Quinn is a reasonable enough looking bloke, but he's such a sh1t that I can't possibly see his looks separately. What's with the constant "Oh she's an absolute muppet, but I'd give her one" stuff?! Genuinely curious as to how anyone deems themselves capable of seeing past the rampant bull-sh1t to the looks....

Is it a male thing? There's a definite thread through the general male psyche that seems to be solely focussed on looks, but there are plenty of women who will also overlook complete muppetry for what they deem to be a pretty face (e.g. Justin Beiber).

The difference, I think, is that many men will focus on looks rather than the ability to do the job (remember the reaction to Angela Merkle?), while I think that generally women don't.

kylith wrote: »
    The difference, I think, is that many men will focus on looks rather than the ability to do the job (remember the reaction to Angela Merkle?), while I think that generally women don't.

Well that's what I think too, but that doesn't mean I'm right! Just interested in if it IS a male thing really. There are some differences in the way we think, afterall - is this one of them?! You're right about Justin Bieber, except that's a teen thing rather than a reasoning adult thing - and we can see from the "Christian Grey" bullsh1t fest that women are just as well able to fly in the face of reason for a fantasy, but ....hmmm. I fail to see how this particular woman's looks are at all a mitigating feature for her intellect. Gets up my nose a bit, that's all - male or female. Here's a person who's mind-numbingly ignorant, but hey, they're gorgeous! Doh!

Is it not the same as saying something like "She might be talking absolute ****e but at least she does have a lovely voice"?

(note, she doesn't)

Is it not the same as saying something like "She might be talking absolute ****e but at least she does have a lovely voice"?

(note, she doesn't)

Eh.....not sure the comments (on the other thread this woejus eejit turned up on, as well as here) were meant along those lines. I mean, if they'd said "Feck sake lads, she's dumber than a bag of hammers, but at least her ears are on straight", that would be a bit more like your example tbf....

Well that's what I think too, but that doesn't mean I'm right! Just interested in if it IS a male thing really. There are some differences in the way we think, afterall - is this one of them?! You're right about Justin Bieber, except that's a teen thing rather than a reasoning adult thing - and we can see from the "Christian Grey" bullsh1t fest that women are just as well able to fly in the face of reason for a fantasy, but ....hmmm. I fail to see how this particular woman's looks are at all a mitigating feature for her intellect. Gets up my nose a bit, that's all - male or female. Here's a person who's mind-numbingly ignorant, but hey, they're gorgeous! Doh!

I don't think it's that her looks mitigate her (lack of) intelligence, I think it's more that they render her stupidity moot. Who cares if she's dumber than a bag of rocks if you're only going to be sticking your willy in her. You could probably say that it goes back to the whole objectification thing; a woman's job is to be decorative and placid and there for men's pleasure. Her intelligence, opinion, and maths ability is secondary to her main function of looking pretty so men will want to have sex with her.

It probably goes back to evolutionary biology. For men it makes sense to focus on having sex to maximise the chances of your genes being carried on; the woman doesn't have to be smart, she just has to be able to gestate a foetus and know how to feed it. Women may have become less focussed on looks over intelligence because it's all very well your mate being handsome but if he's too thick to work out how to kill an antelope or to know to stay away from the cave lions he's as good as useless.

Yup. We're all still dragging our knuckles at the end of the day, regardless of how great we are at typing and computer use. :o

• Advertisement

I think it does one good to remember that for all the veneer of civilisation on us we're still just smart, lucky monkeys.

Well, I'd imagine that most people would describe her as superficially attractive, but that's no more relevant to the topic the price of butter.

Like Sarah Palin, the moment she starts talking, I think any illusions about attractiveness would fall away amongst most posters here, and perhaps in the wider world too, save amongst those unlucky men whose nature and nurture lead them to value physically attractiveness above things like smarts, humor honesty.

I find her hair very distracting. Why is it hiding one side of her face? What's wrong with her left eye?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Well, I'd imagine that most people would describe her as superficially attractive, but that's no more relevant to the topic the price of butter.

Like Sarah Palin, the moment she starts talking, I think any illusions about attractiveness would fall away amongst most posters here, and perhaps in the wider world too, save amongst those unlucky men whose nature and nurture lead them to value physically attractiveness above things like smarts, humor honesty.

Oh, don't get me wrong I gave up on the Aron Ra video after listening to her for a whole minute (even before we got into the made of fail). I wouldn't go near her in real life.

kylith wrote: »
    I find her hair very distracting. Why is it hiding one side of her face? What's wrong with her left eye?!
    Hard to say since you can't really see it.

#offtopic - though as a guy with - how should I put it? - a high forehead, I've always wondered why many people leave their hair dangle in front of their eyes. What's that for? Isn't it annoying? :confused:

339883.jpg

Hard to say since you can't really see it.

#offtopic - though as a guy with - how should I put it? - a high forehead, I've always wondered why many people leave their hair dangle in front of their eyes. What's that for? Isn't it annoying? :confused:

As an obsessive hat wearer myself, I couldn't tell you. I like to see danger coming. Perhaps the higher forehead was an evolutionary advantage in the days of marauding woolly mammoths?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Generally I would remember that the comments of a random person are not representative of their entire gender/agegroup/race/demographic

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Generally I would remember that the comments of a random person are not representative of their entire gender/agegroup/race/demographic

Yah, cheers for the reminder. I had forgotten that the propensity for referring to a person's looks regardless of what their mouth said wasn't a topic for discussion any more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Yup. We're all still dragging our knuckles at the end of the day, regardless of how great we are at typing and computer use. :o

It's her boobs, you can just see them over the table and they look pretty big, and shes not bad looking, so ya, shes really my ideal woman :pac:

Advertisement