Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

342728.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

god-answers-prayers-of-paralyzed-little-boy.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

silverharp wrote: »
    god-answers-prayers-of-paralyzed-little-boy.jpg

I have to ask...why is that from the Onion? Going by the logic of the believers, that IS what happens. They pray to God for various bad things to stop happening, yet the bad things continue anyway.

reminded me of this

amputees-science-god.png

prayer.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

cjcohrt.png

• Advertisement

342757.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

342794.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    I have to ask...why is that from the Onion? Going by the logic of the believers, that IS what happens. They pray to God for various bad things to stop happening, yet the bad things continue anyway.

Err, it's obviously God testing them by making their lives miserable to see if they still love him. Y'know, because that's obviously a reasonable and logical thing for a kind, loving God to do. Duh!

342886.jpg

Worztron wrote: »
    342886.jpg

LOL of the decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I can't decide which is more bad ass

Bill & ted as shepherds of little alien lizards and 3 darth vaders as wise men or Bill & Ted as wise men and darth vader as a shepherd of t-rex

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I like bats as the archangel, Deanna with Riker fits in with the Mary cheating on Joseph story, that be Worf's baby right there.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

SW wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I heard recently there aren't ANY secular schools at all in Ireland, as in ones that don't have any involvement or influence from a church denomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I heard recently there aren't ANY secular schools at all in Ireland, as in ones that don't have any involvement or influence from a church denomination.

There is, AFAIK, a stipulation that children have to receive religious instruction. ET schools do this by teaching about religion, but there are no non-denominational school, only multi-denominational.

kylith wrote: »
    There is, AFAIK, a stipulation that children have to receive religious instruction. ET schools do this by teaching about religion, but there are no non-denominational school, only multi-denominational.

My school was multi-denominational, but it leaned very strongly towards Roman Catholicism (I'm going by my own experience, which is now over a decade past, so it could have changed in that time frame).
    For example, we did study Buddhism and Islam, but we never got to read directly the Quran or (can't remember the name of Buddhist texts). Those lessons were given to us by a RCC priest. When it came to Christianity, we were given copies of the Good News Bible and we studied things like the Book of Job.
    We did have lessons on philosophy, (Plato, IIRC), but very brief. They only lasted a short while. The only thing I can recall learning there was Plato's Cave.
    A few times a year, the entire student body were made to go to a local church for RCC ceremonies. Even though there were a few Muslims (at that time), the thought of going to an Islamic temple was never brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My school was multi-denominational, but it leaned very strongly towards Roman Catholicism (I'm going by my own experience, which is now over a decade past, so it could have changed in that time frame).
    For example, we did study Buddhism and Islam, but we never got to read directly the Quran or (can't remember the name of Buddhist texts). Those lessons were given to us by a RCC priest. When it came to Christianity, we were given copies of the Good News Bible and we studied things like the Book of Job.
    We did have lessons on philosophy, (Plato, IIRC), but very brief. They only lasted a short while. The only thing I can recall learning there was Plato's Cave.
    A few times a year, the entire student body were made to go to a local church for RCC ceremonies. Even though there were a few Muslims (at that time), the thought of going to an Islamic temple was never brought up.

The only comparative religion I ever remember getting was a trip to the Methodist church in 2nd year. The priest (reverend? vicar? Methody?) was very nice, and made a point of how the local Catholics had gifted them the church some years earlier, only for them to discover that the walls and roof were badly in need of repair.

Funnily enough I heard a while back that some ET schools are oversubscribed because the local Catholics prefer them to the Catholic ethos schools, meaning that non-Catholics are having to go to Catholic schools. ET cannot do anything about this as they work on a first-come first-served waiting list rather than a discriminatory one like faith schools.

My own kids school is multi denom , the religion class is split up some years for Catholic and non catholic. so junior essentially learns about religion . I think the attached secondary school will be dropping religion as they are juggling timetable issues.
    Its a very wishy washy part of the timetable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I went to a "community school", it's not listed under CEIST (the Catholic secondary school body) but we still had to go to Mass a couple of times during the year as well as having a Graduation Mass after finishing 6th Year. :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ET schools do this by teaching about religion, but there are no non-denominational school, only multi-denominational.
    Yes, that's correct. Non-denominational is not possible in this country, hence the multi-denominational approach from ET.

Speaking of which, can anybody think of a better term than "Ethos" to refer to the philosophical leanings of a non/multi-denominational school?

Some of the ET schools in Dublin are forming what are provisionally-named "Ethos Committees" to manage the schools Educate Together curriculum, promote inclusivity and a range of related themes. Some people aren't thrilled with the term "Ethos" and are looking to come up with a term which better describes the intent.

• Advertisement

342951.jpeg

342952.png

342953.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The priest (reverend? vicar? Methody?)

I believe they are called "dweebs" in honour of Methodism's favourite son, Acting Ensign Wesley, Wesly Crusher.:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

603383_347990945280652_1158181669_n.jpg?oh=ce844248648904bbbd0c2e9f8997fb83&oe=55AE2A50&__gda__=1433518553_75f2168490e47af77c053852cb27c8da

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

robindch wrote: »
    Yes, that's correct. Non-denominational is not possible in this country, hence the multi-denominational approach from ET.

No currently legal rather than not possible. It certainly is possible but needs a Minister for Education will some actual courage to change the system. Religious instruction should be taken out of school completely. If you want to indoctrinate your own children do it on your own time not time that my taxes are helping to pay for.

ET schools as said before are multidenominational. The use a "Moral and Ethical Curriculum" to get around this nonsense law that 2 hours a week must be spent on religion. Religious education rather than religious instruction is carried out in these classes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Does anyone have a link to the stature or law that demands it? It certainly is something to be looked at, several political parties and persons would love this as something to jump on at the next election.

Orion wrote: »
    No currently legal rather than not possible. It certainly is possible but needs a Minister for Education will some actual courage to change the system.
    OK, I entirely concede the somewhat jesuitical point :)

342974.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Worztron wrote: »
    342974.jpg

I would have thought that Jesus was responsible for the predicament he finds himself in. I mean, if he hadn't been boasting about the fish he almost caught....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

CramCycle wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the stature or law that demands it? It certainly is something to be looked at, several political parties and persons would love this as something to jump on at the next election.
    The usual reason given for saying that it is not legal to have non denominational schools in Ireland is Rule 68 of the Rules for National Schools (1926) which states:
    "Of all parts of the school curriculum Religious Instruction is by far the most important, as it's subject matter, God's honour and service, includes
    the proper use of all man's faculties, and affords the most powerful inducements to their proper use. We assume, therefore, that Religious
    Instruction is a fundamental part of the school course. Though the time allotted to it as a specific subject is necessarily short, a religious spirit
    should inform and vivify the whole work of the school."

The same rules contain a number of provisions regarding the strict separation of secular and religious education, along with respecting the various religious beliefs, but for some reason it is generally assumed that whilst those rules are obviously not enforced, this one is.

I might be wrong, but that's my understanding....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What's the legal status of the "Rules for National Schools"?

Plus, I'd quibble with the claim that (assuming the Rules have the force of law) this makes a non-denominational school impossible. The quoted rule requires schools to provide religious instruction and to manifest a "religious spirit", but they don't require schools to have any identification or affiliation with any religious denomination or group of denominations. I think what they would forbid is a non-religious school.

Advertisement