Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robindch wrote: »
    Speaking of which, can anybody think of a better term than "Ethos" to refer to the philosophical leanings of a non/multi-denominational school?

Some of the ET schools in Dublin are forming what are provisionally-named "Ethos Committees" to manage the schools Educate Together curriculum, promote inclusivity and a range of related themes. Some people aren't thrilled with the term "Ethos" and are looking to come up with a term which better describes the intent.
    What's wrong with the term "ethos"? Serious and respectful question.

"Ethos" means "the characteristic spirit of a people, community, culture, or era as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations; the prevailing character of an institution or system". It's not a particularly religious term, and of course it's the noun from which we ultimately get the adjective "ethical".

So, is the discomfort with the word connected with the fact that it evokes religious associations because, up to now, it's only religious schools which have been articulate about their ethos? If so, that might not be a good reflection on the non-religious schools; every institution should be reflecting up, and should be articulate about, its ethos. "The unexamined life is not worth living" is a maxim that applies to institutions and communities just as much as to individuals.

Maybe the ET schools, far from seeking to avoid the term "ethos" and ceding ownership to the religious, should seek to reclaim it? ET schools do have an ethos, they should certainly be thinking and talking about their ethos, and I don't see why they should be embarrassed to call it an ethos.

Or am I misunderstanding the concern they have about the term?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What's wrong with the term "ethos"? Serious and respectful question.

"Ethos" means "the characteristic spirit of a people, community, culture, or era as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations; the prevailing character of an institution or system". It's not a particularly religious term, and of course it's the noun from which we ultimately get the adjective "ethical".

So, is the discomfort with the word connected with the fact that it evokes religious associations because, up to now, it's only religious schools which have been articulate about their ethos? If so, that might not be a good reflection on the non-religious schools; every institution should be reflecting up, and should be articulate about, its ethos. "The unexamined life is not worth living" is a maxim that applies to institutions and communities just as much as to individuals.

Maybe the ET schools, far from seeking to avoid the term "ethos" and ceding ownership to the religious, should seek to reclaim it? ET schools do have an ethos, they should certainly be thinking and talking about their ethos, and I don't see why they should be embarrassed to call it an ethos.

Or am I misunderstanding the concern they have about the term?

It is what it has come to mean in Irish schools and hospitals is the problem I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

What's the legal status of the "Rules for National Schools"?
    As far as I know it remains part of the DoEs rules for schools, which permits the DoE to withdraw funding from a school which doesn't comply with it's rules, so the usual canard is that it effectively bans non-denominational schools. An effect which is a little difficult to observe since I can find no example of the DoE enforcing compliance with the rule, and the DoE Primary School Curriculum doesn't include religious instruction or education; it says the development and implementation of the curriculum in religious education in primary schools remains the responsibility of the different church authorities.
    Plus, I'd quibble with the claim that (assuming the Rules have the force of law) this makes a non-denominational school impossible. The quoted rule requires schools to provide religious instruction and to manifest a "religious spirit", but they don't require schools to have any identification or affiliation with any religious denomination or group of denominations. I think what they would forbid is a non-religious school.
    As would I, though if the condition "a religious spirit should inform and vivify the whole work of the school" were to be enforced by the DoE, it would be a tricky proposition for a non denominational school. Though quite tricky for many denominational schools as well I'd imagine.

This thread has stopped being funny by the way. Just saying. Someone post a joke for not Gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gerry069

Absolam wrote: »
    This thread has stopped being funny by the way. Just saying. Someone post a joke for not Gods sake.
    Found this somewhere,

A Mormon told me that they don't drink coffee. I said, "A cup of coffee every day gives you wonderful benefits." He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, it keeps you from being Mormon ..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

What do a priest and a pint of Guinness have in common ? They are both black to the neck ,topped off with a white collar and if ye get a bad one it'll tear the arse out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What's the legal status of the "Rules for National Schools"?

Plus, I'd quibble with the claim that (assuming the Rules have the force of law) this makes a non-denominational school impossible. The quoted rule requires schools to provide religious instruction and to manifest a "religious spirit", but they don't require schools to have any identification or affiliation with any religious denomination or group of denominations. I think what they would forbid is a non-religious school.

That's an out of date one. Latest is here: http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Rules-and-Programmes-for-Schools/

Specifically chapter 9 has the religious requirements but I can't see where it specifies the hours. The INTO website references circulars that state 2.5 hours per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Good point Absolam

40425_10100152160810336_2511083_56203654_6932260_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

343089.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

20130421-172351.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    That's an out of date one. Latest is here: http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Rules-and-Programmes-for-Schools/
    Specifically chapter 9 has the religious requirements but I can't see where it specifies the hours. The INTO website references circulars that state 2.5 hours per week.
    Rule 68 was transcribed directly from the 1926 rules to the 1965 rules; it's here on the site you linked.

I'd suggest a Mod move these posts from this thread to the School Patronage one where they'd be more at home though; and then we can get back to the funnies uninterrupted.

343194.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

funny-Jesus-painting-Judas.jpg

jesus_and_erick_funny_by_oObloodydayOo.jpg

batman.jpg

mma-super-jesus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the_scientific_method_vs_the_creationist_method-scaled500.gif

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

343242.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

148lzy1.jpg

ISIS have hacked a Dublin barber's website :confused:

http://graftonbarbers.com/

No more beard trims for the infidels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

ISIS have hacked a Dublin barber's website :confused:

http://graftonbarbers.com/

No more beard trims for the infidels?
    They probably just hacked Wordpress and anyone who uses that rubbish deserves it anyway. My 5 year old son could do that...

smokingman wrote: »
    They probably just hacked Wordpress and anyone who uses that rubbish deserves it anyway. My 5 year old son could do that...

Booo-urns. My version is a better story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

smokingman wrote: »

Evening Herald headline

'Dublin Man's 5 Year Old Son Hacks Site In Support Of ISIS'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Nodin wrote: »
    Evening Herald headline

'Westmeath man captured in Kildare Man's 5 Year Old Son Hacks Site In Support Of ÓISIN'

FYP

343288.jpg

343337.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

How do Christians find that "bit on the side"? Online, of course.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Top 10 MORE Anti-Religion Comedians.

(For anyone who hasn't seen Bill Burr, go check him out on YouTube)

I'm a bit late but . . .

ikDt1A5.jpg

• Advertisement

343386.jpg

Advertisement