Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donore Harriers Jingle Bells 5K 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A PB and a nice mug last year, could be one to do again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Enjoyed this one last year, a fine downhill run to the finish! Will probably run this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I think it's harsh to be charging adults 20 euro, never mind 17 years olds!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

lorrieq wrote: »
    I think it's harsh to be charging adults 20 euro, never mind 17 years olds!

Why?

It's a fundraiser for an athletics club. 100% of all profits go to keeping an athletics club running for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Why?

It's a fundraiser for an athletics club. 100% of all profits go to keeping an athletics club running for another year.

Clubs need all the help they can get. I hope to do this. Club races are great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

A great race. Well worth the €20. PB central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Pretty sure this was one of the fastest courses I've ever run. I was in shocking shape last year and reckon the course gave me at least 30 secs. I'm in much better shape now. I'll be back this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

drquirky wrote: »
    Pretty sure this was one of the fastest courses I've ever run. I was in shocking shape last year and reckon the course gave me at least 30 secs. I'm in much better shape now. I'll be back this year :D

Might go for my sub 20 here so, depending how I am after New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Any idea what the route is? Can't see a map anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Last year's route was roughly as follows:-

Start on the Acres Road beside the soccer pitches. Head for Chesterfield Avenue and turn left at the Phoenix roundabout, then left at Mountjoy roundabout onto the Ordnance Survey road. Continue straight through the junction with a long downhill stretch, finishing with a short little rise as you approach the finish line, which IIRC is at the bottom of the steps up to the Cheshire Home. Very much downhill overall, and as others have mentioned, great PB potential :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Donore Harriers

Course Map attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 al984

What is the race memento? T-shirt?

al984 wrote: »
    What is the race memento? T-shirt?

A mug.

Any post race cake requests kids? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A mug.

Lots of cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Signed up and looking forward to this and hopefully a PB!

Run, cake and pints that night, sounds like Saturday bliss! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lock a bike at the clubhouse or beside the finish line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A mug.

Try see if you can muster up a yuletide log ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just entered this. Look forward to it. Three weeks to break the post-DCM "recharging".

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MissyMooki

Hi All, I started running in September and promised myself I would do a 5K! I never in my life dreamed I would be able to run for 5 minutes never mind 5KM. I started doing the c25K app and I love it!

I signed up for the Jingle Bells 5K and cant believe its almost here. I'm a mixture of nerves, excitement and fear all rolled into one!

Any advice for a first timer on what to expect on the day?
    :eek::eek::eek:

It was my first race too, a few years ago...

There are toilets in the Donore clubhouse, but none near the race start, and it is about 15/20 minutes walk from the clubhouse to the start line
    It could be cold waiting around at the start line. If you bring a bag, you can wear warm clothes to a few minutes before the start, then take them off and put them in a bag. There's a van at the start line that will bring the bags around to the finish area.
    Look around you at the start, and make sure you're not starting too close to the front. If the people around you are all skin and gristle, and wearing two handkerchiefs worth of clothing, you're probably too close to the start. If the people around you are wearing rain coats etc, they're going to be walking, so you're too close to the back.
    Don't get carried away by the excitement of the start and go too fast. Take it easy at the start, and plan to get a bit faster all the way around.
    Most of all, enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Just registered for this, up to now I've done 5 and 10k's just to finish them but I might be ambitious and try for a time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

MissyMooki wrote: »
    Hi All, I started running in September and promised myself I would do a 5K! I never in my life dreamed I would be able to run for 5 minutes never mind 5KM. I started doing the c25K app and I love it!

I signed up for the Jingle Bells 5K and cant believe its almost here. I'm a mixture of nerves, excitement and fear all rolled into one!

Any advice for a first timer on what to expect on the day?
    :eek::eek::eek:

this was my first race also 2 years ago when I was on week 7 of c25k so had never run more than about 3k in one go at that stage, if even that. My main concern was being able to get around in one piece and not to come last which I did easily enough on the day.
    Advice: get there in plenty of time so you can use the loo (there will be huge queues but plenty of bushes/trees in the park if you don't want to queue!). I'd get there an hour in advance or maybe a bit less if you know the park well.
    When I did it there was a sub25 min section. I hadn't seen the sign for sub25 and went into that section by accident. Complete rookie mistake and a cardinal sin amongst runners. thankfully I realised my mistake in enough time to get outa there and position myself near the back but not at the back. This is a great race for your first race as there's a huge field of runners so there'll be loads of runners/walkers behind you, so you know you won't come last. That was my BIG FEAR:D
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

Signed up! First 5k race...looking forward to it! Do alot of people dress up in Christmassy gear for this or are the majority in the usual running gear?

Signed up! First 5k race...looking forward to it! Do alot of people dress up in Christmassy gear for this or are the majority in the usual running gear?

Most people will do it in running gear. Santa, Mrs Claus, Elf suits etc also allowed :)

Thanks RayCun and Ososlo, some great advice there. Obviously I am terrified about coming last, at the minute I'm doing 4K in 32 minutes (Very slow). But I have to pace myself or I burn out.:(
    I reckon its better to run it all as slow as a god's horse rather than fly for the first Km and then have to walk the rest! I'm doing it with my bestie who started running with me so we both in the same boat. At least it'll be joint last lol :p

Lots of people walk it too, so you won't be last

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

MissyMooki wrote: »
    Thanks RayCun and Ososlo, some great advice there. Obviously I am terrified about coming last, at the minute I'm doing 4K in 32 minutes (Very slow). But I have to pace myself or I burn out.:(
    I reckon its better to run it all as slow as a god's horse rather than fly for the first Km and then have to walk the rest! I'm doing it with my bestie who started running with me so we both in the same boat. At least it'll be joint last lol :p

Just seen your location, get yourself down to Dunleer AC and we'll get you into training! :)

RayCun wrote: »
    It was my first race too, a few years ago...

There are toilets in the Donore clubhouse, but none near the race start, and it is about 15/20 minutes walk from the clubhouse to the start line
    It could be cold waiting around at the start line. If you bring a bag, you can wear warm clothes to a few minutes before the start, then take them off and put them in a bag. There's a van at the start line that will bring the bags around to the finish area.
    Look around you at the start, and make sure you're not starting too close to the front. If the people around you are all skin and gristle, and wearing two handkerchiefs worth of clothing, you're probably too close to the start. If the people around you are wearing rain coats etc, they're going to be walking, so you're too close to the back.
    Don't get carried away by the excitement of the start and go too fast. Take it easy at the start, and plan to get a bit faster all the way around.
    Most of all, enjoy it :)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    this was my first race also 2 years ago when I was on week 7 of c25k so had never run more than about 3k in one go at that stage, if even that. My main concern was being able to get around in one piece and not to come last which I did easily enough on the day.
    Advice: get there in plenty of time so you can use the loo (there will be huge queues but plenty of bushes/trees in the park if you don't want to queue!). I'd get there an hour in advance or maybe a bit less if you know the park well.
    When I did it there was a sub25 min section. I hadn't seen the sign for sub25 and went into that section by accident. Complete rookie mistake and a cardinal sin amongst runners. thankfully I realised my mistake in enough time to get outa there and position myself near the back but not at the back. This is a great race for your first race as there's a huge field of runners so there'll be loads of runners/walkers behind you, so you know you won't come last. That was my BIG FEAR:D
    Best of luck!
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Just seen your location, get yourself down to Dunleer AC and we'll get you into training! :)

:) Baby Steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

A mug.

I'm very partial to your chocolate biscuit cake:) but as pconn says.... any cake will do, just lots of it!:D Really looking forward to this race especially now that I know RQ is making cake:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm very partial to your chocolate biscuit cake:) but as pconn says.... any cake will do, just lots of it!:D Really looking forward to this race especially now that I know RQ is making cake:)

CHOCOLATE. BISCUIT. CAKE.

Advertisement