Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here studied General Nursing in St. Angelas College, Sligo?

Options
  • 16-10-2013 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I would just like to hear from anyone who is on the course at the moment or who has graduated recently.

There is loads of information on here about other colleges but I don't know anything about what the lectures, facilities and quality of teaching is like there.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 esween

I am currently in my final year of general nursing in st. angelas.
    the quality of teaching is excellent as are most of the lectures. the classes are small which is a huge advantage
    30 student in general and 15 in I.D. nursing. Placement are mostly in sligo regional hospital but you could
    be sent to remote parts of sligo/leitrim for public health nurse, psychiatric etc placements.

college is located 5km outside sligo town so a car would be an advantage alto there is a bus that goes to the college for 9am and
    leaves at 5pm every evening.

any other specific questions I will try to answer them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

esween wrote: »
    I am currently in my final year of general nursing in st. angelas.
    the quality of teaching is excellent as are most of the lectures. the classes are small which is a huge advantage
    30 student in general and 15 in I.D. nursing. Placement are mostly in sligo regional hospital but you could
    be sent to remote parts of sligo/leitrim for public health nurse, psychiatric etc placements.

college is located 5km outside sligo town so a car would be an advantage alto there is a bus that goes to the college for 9am and
    leaves at 5pm every evening.

any other specific questions I will try to answer them.

Thanks for the reply, so your 4th year is the 36 week internship, are you doing it in Sligo General?

Has the course been expensive along the way in terms of books, uniforms etc?

How confident are you about getting a position when you graduate?

What have been your favourite departments to work in along the way and have you changed your mind it what departments you thought you would like etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 esween

yes the 36 week internship is all in Sligo General
    as far as i remember the uniform is supplied by the college and i think we paid 150-200 for books in first year that last you the four years.
    about 12 of last years graduates are currently on a 6 months contract with sligo general so that is encouraging. there also appears to be alot of work in private nursing homes.

favourite departments have been theartre, emergency department and surgical wards

esween wrote: »
    yes the 36 week internship is all in Sligo General
    as far as i remember the uniform is supplied by the college and i think we paid 150-200 for books in first year that last you the four years.
    about 12 of last years graduates are currently on a 6 months contract with sligo general so that is encouraging. there also appears to be alot of work in private nursing homes.

favourite departments have been theartre, emergency department and surgical wards

You wouldn't by any chance know if the Mids degree allows you to work as a neonatal nurse or do you have to do general/mids + a postgrad in neonatal.

I can't seem to find out much about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

This job posting from the Rotunda for a NICU nurse says RGN qualification is essential. To work on a neonatal ward in a children's hospital, you'd need to be an RCN. You could try emailing some of the centres for nurse/midwife education in the maternity hospitals and asking them what qualifications they require.

• Advertisement

WildRosie wrote: »
    This job posting from the Rotunda for a NICU nurse says RGN qualification is essential. To work on a neonatal ward in a children's hospital, you'd need to be an RCN. You could try emailing some of the centres for nurse/midwife education in the maternity hospitals and asking them what qualifications they require.

I'll do that now, thanks :)

Advertisement