Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SL vs SS, and not eating enough?

• 16-10-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Been lurking here for awhile and realise these threads popup all the time but looking for some advice regarding diet and workout plan.

Basically going to either start Stronglifts or Starting Strength next week and wondering which (if either) would be considered better? Also, is it ok to keep up a small bit of cardio while on these programs? Not sure if its best to do some cardio after the each workout or to do it on the days between workouts?(im leaning more towards Stronglifts as ive never done power cleans before…)

Also have been slowly adjusting my diet and trying to get my head around macros etc but am falling abit short of daily calories, never thought I wouldn’t be eating enough!

Bit of background:

Always fairly active (soccer/running etc) and spent the majority of this year doing circuits and boxing mixed with running, but not really watching what ive been eating. So while ive got a good base fitness im now looking to start at the gym on my own to build strength and tone up abit.

Currently im about 5 foot 10 and around 72/73kg. Not too interested in losing weight (if I gain some through muscle, all the better?) but definitely could do with losing some bodyfat.

So for Nutrition, ive made some changes to diet(less processed foods, more veg) and worked out that I should have 1975 calories aday (158g protein, 79g fat, 158g carbs – based on a “desired bodyweight” of72kg. From the stickies/looking online,eating this should maintain my weight but lower bodyfat hopefully?

So basically,

Does this seem right? If it is then I can post my daily diet to see if people can suggest where I can add in missing calories etc…. if its wrong then back to the drawing board!

And with regards to the gym, Stronglifts or SS? Im aiming to do one of these for afew months until ive a strong enough foundation (and gotten in the habit of going to the gym) to move onto GVT or something else.Does this seem like a sensible approach?

Any advise appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

SS - Written by an actual coach
    SL - Written by a Belgian entrepreneur

You decide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zamboni wrote: »
    SL - Written Cleans changed to Rows by a Belgian entrepreneur

Realistically, that's all he did ;)

I'd go with SS, not because Rip can squat more than Mendi though. I just think the later version including pull ups are more complete.
    bigronnie9 wrote: »
    (im leaning more towards Stronglifts as ive never done power cleans before…)
    Not having done power cleans before isn't a reason not to do them. A lot of people find them daunting tbh (note: the reason they were switched in SL wasn't nothing to do with effectiveness, it was simply to making it more appealing for the masses - see above business Saavy Belgian).

If you really don't want to do them, there is a version of SS that leaves them out.

So for Nutrition, ive made some changes to diet(less processed foods, more veg) and worked out that I should have 1975 calories aday (158g protein, 79g fat, 158g carbs – based on a “desired bodyweight” of72kg. From the stickies/looking online,eating this should maintain my weight but lower bodyfat hopefully?
    For 73kg, 1975 is about where I'd aim for weightloss. Maintainence would be about 2400cals.
    If you want to stay about the same weight, then I'd go with a much smaller deficit, say 2200 per day. If will make the strength gains easier, and you'll still lower bodyfat.
    And with regards to the gym, Stronglifts or SS? Im aiming to do one of these for afew months until ive a strong enough foundation (and gotten in the habit of going to the gym) to move onto GVT or something else.Does this seem like a sensible approach?
    Wait and see what your goals are then, you might decide to keep chasing strength goals and sticking with pushing your 5RM

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Thanks for the reply!
    I might start out with SL so until the weights get abit heavier and then switch to 3x5 and add in the power cleans once the deadlifts are heavier than the squats?
    Build up to the version of SS with pull ups?
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength
    Mellor wrote: »

For 73kg, 1975 is about where I'd aim for weightloss. Maintainence would be about 2400cals.
    If you want to stay about the same weight, then I'd go with a much smaller deficit, say 2200 per day. If will make the strength gains easier, and you'll still lower bodyfat.

2200? I cant even make up the 1975! :o have started logging on myfitnesspal and falling short by afew hundred. Typical day looks like:

breakfast:
    2 x eggs and bacon, tiny glass of orange juice
    tea break:
    natural yoghurt, some blueberries, an apple
    lunch:
    chicken breast with mixed veg and broccoli/spinach, mandarin
    after work:
    chicken breast with mixed veg and broccoli/spinach
    after gym:
    whey protein shake w/ water
    red meat with mixed veg and broccoli/spinach

I might also have 2 or 3 cups of tea a day (no sugar)... this seems like plenty of food to me (I only started having three meals with veg the last week) as I cant see where I could add anything in? (could probably do with some fish in there?)
    Trying to stay low carbs, but im also getting a lot of sugar from the fruit...

Anywhere I could tweak it? add in a shake in the morning, or drink more milk?

Thanks again for any advice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zamboni wrote: »
    SL - Written by a Belgian entrepreneur

Jesus I love you. That's the best laugh I've had this month!!!!! <3

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Smoothies are a great way to put away calories.

Milk, oats, banana, peanut butter etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 nignag75

I like stronglifts better just because there is more volume.I would add in some curls mayby every second session though.
    Starting strength the book is a better learning resource though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I was doing SL's before I did fractured by elbow (raging!). Did SL three times a week in the morning and cycled approx 15k to and from work each day. Was at about week 7 and hadd just stalled at the OHP.

Really enjoyed it, and look forward to getting back into it when recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Petrie

As a beginner I find the book starting strength to be very informative and thorough, which I like, but I've also heard good things about SL from friends, so I'd say you can't really go wrong with either.

Do you like peanut butter? That's very high in calories and protein so if you're falling short of your daily intake it's great to have as a snack.

Advertisement