Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cheque

Options
  • 16-10-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi..been clearing out my aunts house and found an old cheque from 2010 which doesn't appear to have been paid in. Unfortunately this was from Postbank which was closed so no good writing to them !. Does anyone know who to write to on this ?, should I write to Central Bank of Ireland ?. I know it's a bit old but even so it is her money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Unless it's a printed draft, the cheque is just a piece of paper until cashed and no money will have been debited for it. The debit on the account is only processed when the cheque is lodged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think you only have 6 months to cash a cheque from the date on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If the bank is closed, the account the cheque was drawn on doesn't exist so the cheque won't be honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If the bank is closed, the account the cheque was drawn on doesn't exist so the cheque won't be honoured.

May or may not be true. Most of An Posts payout money comes from the state agencies and the money originates in the NTMA. But the OP should first go to An Post. Most state agencies are willing to re-date a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 charlotte99

thanks for replies. I've left small cheques myself past the 6 month timescale and have had them re-issued so I know they can but never when the bank is no longer in existence. I'll try An Post as a first call I think, see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think Postbank was a joint venture between An Post and BNP Paribas. Whether a state guarantee applied to it is really of no relevance to the OP's situation.

If the company was voluntarily wound up as it probably was, a statutory notice to creditors would have been published in national newspapers giving creditors (which would have included people with uncashed cheques) a deadline to submit their claims, in default of which the debt would lapse and the company wound up leaving no unpaid debts. In that case there no way you can pursue the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Advertisement