Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Trim , Ballivor , Athboy

Options
  • 16-10-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Looking for any info on the above areas .We are considering moving to Meath mid next year and are looking at properties in the above areas and would really appreciate any info anyone out there has to share on these including the areas themselves , social clubs , schools , .Commutes into Dublin for work purposes and general standard of living there.Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Athboy has : scouts, gaa, rugby, soccer, archery, karate, NARGC gun club, macra, IFA, SVP, credit union, a few pubs ( from very decent to complete dive ) a fair few shops and decent enough bus connections to Dublin. Drive time to Dublin airport for example can be anything from 45 mins to 1.5 hours depending on traffic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Trim has all of the above along with 4 golf clubs, good leisure centre, more pubs and a few nice restaurants. Also good fishing club with great stretch of water. Half decent bus service and the commute is not too bad. We also have a big Lidl and Super Valu. Great athletic club and some really nice walking areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Trim has all of the above along with 4 golf clubs, good leisure centre, more pubs and a few nice restaurants. Also good fishing club with great stretch of water. Half decent bus service and the commute is not too bad. We also have a big Lidl and Super Valu. Great athletic club and some really nice walking areas.

4 golf clubs no longer, 3 now as the Glebe has closed. Definitely very good GAA and soccer clubs with the GAA facilities some of the best in Ireland.

but the piece de resistance for Trim is the open space area around the Porche Fields and castle which facilitates walking and running which, as is mentioned, the excellent athletic club uses for all ages. New cycling club is very active and the musical and drama socks continue to excel.

Decision needs to come down also to whether you want to live in a slightly smaller or bigger town and, I suppose, cost. Trim schools are very good and the commute, while not easy, is a bit easier. You also have the option to use or not use the M3 toll in the mornings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's been said above, but it all depends on what is important to you. You need to look at the various different places and decide what you want in terms of housing, commute, shops, clubs/societies, schools/colleges etc.. We looked all over Meath when we were moving from Dublin, and nowhere came close to Trim for my own and my family's personal requirements. Nice size town imo, not too big, not too small. Decent road to Dublin, nice estates and the commute to my work is fine. We wanted somewhere with schools close by i.e. walking distance, and somewhere big enough to have bus links to college etc. when the kids are older.

Personally, and this is just my view, Ballivor would not have suited us at all - too small, I'd have been driven demented. Roads get a bit crap past Trim also, so while Athboy was an option, it was just that little bit too far out for us given that both my own and my wife's families and work are all in Dublin.

The activities in Trim are varied and plentiful, lots to do, and with the castle and the river in the heart of the town, it's a great setting also. Gives the town a heart which a lot of other towns simply do not have. So many good volunteers involved in all the clubs and societies, and in things like the Tidy Towns and the Heritage Park group. People really give up buckets of their own time for the place, and you can tell that they do.

4 years here now and love my new lifestyle (which as a member of the athletics club includes me losing two stone lol).

Advertisement