Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitor/Criminal Record

• 16-10-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there.

I completed my law degree earlier this year and I've been thinking about going down the solicitor route. The problem is I'm anything but a typical law graduate. For example: I never sat the leaving certificate; I never took part in the internship merry-go-round whilst in college; I'm 30 years old, and, wait for it... I was convicted of a criminal offence 9 years ago (possession of a controlled substance, cannabis).

So my question is a fairly direct one. Is there any point in me even attempting this? I've spoken to a lady from the Law Society who has assured me that (technically) I can become a solicitor. But is seems to me the hard part will be securing a training contract. And I hear that places are very limited nowadays.

I chose to study law because it seemed to be an interesting degree that could lead anywhere. I wasn't expecting to develop the interest in it that I did. But here I am nonetheless. Honestly, I feel like I'd be wasting my time even going for it. I know that sounds defeatist, but at the moment that's how I feel. But at the same time I don't want to spend the next twenty years wondering what if?

I don't really know what I'm asking here. Your opinion, perhaps.

Thanks,

B.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'd say go get experience working in a solicitors office, you may have to volunteer your services for free to get a foot in and then work from there.

Academics and practice are very different.

Re the conviction, I would not see it as an issue for getting consent from the Law Society to enter Indentures of Apprenticeship. Any offence/crime involving fraud or dishonestly would be an issue but not in my view simple possession.

Also bear in mind the Law Society does not have access to the Courts Service database or Garda PULSE system to check these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sounds like the perfect barrister to me! :D

On a serious note I don't think there is a 'typical' legal professional. I'm amazed how open the profession is frankly.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Would you consider the bar?

I don't have a statistical breakdown, but anecdotally Blackhall seems to get a younger crowd, and life as a solicitor seems to be particularly well suited to those of a younger generation. Whereas, as a Barrister, not only is there a significant old crowd, age and previous experience is recognized as having enriched the profession, and I'm not convinced that the same attitude prevails among solicitors.

In either career, it's going to be a few years before you're earning a decent living. Although life will be moe stable starting out as a solr, you'll be practicing sooner as a Barrister, and you might find you 'get on' better because of your life experience.

Apologies if you have no interest in life at the bar and I have just wasted your time but, since you have got this far, let me leave you with a fantastic little trick someone told me today: if you press the wrong floor when you get into a lift, press the wrong floor again twice, to undo. You can also sneakily do this if you're in a hurry in a busy lift.

Advertisement