Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing out the clutter

Options
  • 16-10-2013 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Had to replace the internal hard drive on my laptop recently as it completely crashed. All was going well, until the last few weeks when the laptop has been acting so sluggish. I've got hardly anything stored on my hard drive bar the OS and a few essential programs, (MS Office, Vuze, a video editor and Norton AntiVirus). It's been most noticeable in the last week though since I installed Norton. I thought these things were supposed to improve your PC's performance??? So, I know it can't be the HardDrive as it's a good brand and kept relatively clutter free so I went to the Windows help to see if I could clean up the RAM as in the 5 years that I've owned the laptop I've not done it once, but I didn't find anything useful to help me to clean it up and speed it up hopefully. Can any of you guys help me out?

Just incase it's relevant here's my system details.

Make/Model: Dell Inspiron 1545
    Processor: Genuine Intel (R) CPU 585@2.16GHz
    Memory (RAM): 4GB
    System Type: 32 Bit Operating System

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You don't need to 'clear out' your RAM, it is cleared when it is powered off. Try dumping Norton, or temp disabling it. Although I did hear its better than it was, it did have a rep as a resource hog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

A single core Celeron isn't really up to standard anymore. And modern security suites are quite demanding. Using Vista doesn't help matters much either.

If that was my laptop, I'd and chance my luck with Sandboxie and stay away additional AV software. (and keep a Ghost image of the system partition handy, in case something goes wrong)

Advertisement