Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor man's marine satnav - from TESCO!

• 16-10-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

The new HUDL Android pad from TESCO is getting reasonably good reviews. Obviously the price £120 or £60 in tokens is the big attraction. However it also has good battery life, apparently 8 hours or so, and for me the interesting thing is it has GPS built in unlike many of the other cheapo tablets like say the pink Argos one.

So for €70 in tokens, plus zero to €20 for the charts from one or other of the Android app providers, plus a €1.50 waterproof ipad bag from Dealz/EuroGiant should provide a low cost alternative to the gold plated Garmin stuff.

I've tried some of these apps on a smallish android phone and my fingers are too big and my eyesight too poor - but this tablet could be the answer.

Any thoughts from Android app users?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I use Navionics on a android phone and find it ok it would be nice to have it on a bigger screen, Let us know how you get on if you do get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

fergal.b wrote: »
    I use Navionics on a android phone and find it ok it would be nice to have it on a bigger screen, Let us know how you get on if you do get one.
    Will do - if I can justify the priceor a single-use device! I have an ipad given to me as a birthday present - no way would I have paid €500+ for the thing - but it has no GPS and short of paying €100+ for the GPS dongle there's no way to get the signal into it.

I wonder if the screen will be viewable in sunlight though. One way to find out I guess.

Advertisement