Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scariest TV Moments

• 16-10-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Seeing as Halloween is coming up and tis the season to be scary,I just thought I'd ask ye all which moments on telly have scared ye the most?It can be movies which scared ye,TV ads,film theme music,TV programmes,people etc.
    Here are mine:
    (the * means the original version)

Halloween 1*,Halloween 2*,and the theme music
    Salem's Lot*
    Amityville 2: The Posession
    The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow*
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre*
    The Entity
    Jaws Theme Tune
    The Music Theme from the Omen films
    The Twilight Zone
    "TV Spongers beware,the squeeze is on!!"
    Nearly all TV commercials about AIDS
    "Get out,get the fire brigade out,and stay out!!"
    Thriller video-Michael Jackson
    It's A Kind Of Magic video-Queen
    "Earthmen,this is the voice of the Mysterions...."

Right then..,over to ye!

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

First time I saw Twink's game show Perfect Match it scared the life out of me. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The moment when I realised Homeland was the new Lost.
    The moment when I realised I no longer watch The Simpsons.
    The entire third season of Suits to date.
    Watching reruns of Dallas and realising I wasted a solid portion of the 1980s.
    The fact that Coach is no longer going to be in Cheers (look... I'm getting help for that one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Threads, 80's drama about Britain in the aftermath of nuclear war, genuinely terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

That moc show Ghost Watch in the 80's.Frightened the **** out of me.
    Also, that ad where the kid got his kite caught in the power lines and fried himself.Never touched a kite afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That moc show Ghost Watch in the 80's.Frightened the **** out of me.

Just going to post that. Here is the moment that had everyone jumping behind the sofa (assuming they weren't already hiding)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Are you afraid of the dark?

I remember one episode about a ghost who kept saying "I'm cold". The story was that a kid lost his red coat and eventually died from hypothermia.

Once they gave the kid his red coat back the ghost would stop haunting people. That episode always stuck with me.

It got "banned" in our house because my younger sisters kept having nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Scariest TV moment = when the TV fell off the stand and smashed as i was watching it, well it made me jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

krudler wrote: »
    Threads, 80's drama about Britain in the aftermath of nuclear war, genuinely terrifying.

The most disturbing thing I've ever watched. Nothing else ever captured the consequences of Nuclear War on the Human Race so vividly - and made it seem like a very real prospect.

It made similar films made at the time like The Day After look like Disney productions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

X Files had a cracker with the episode "Tooms” about a presence that can get places no human can go - surely?

Hammer House of Horror “The House that Bled to Death” packs a punch when the climax hits during a childrens birthday party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

mike65 wrote: »
    X Files had a cracker with the episode "Tooms” about a presence that can get places no human can go - surely?

Hammer House of Horror “The House that Bled to Death” packs a punch when the climax hits during a childrens birthday party

Used to love Hammer House of Horrors.
    I used to get the chills on a Sunday night(I think) when I'd hear the Tales of the Unexpected music. Not exactly scary but one of my fav episodes was Royal Jelly, where the guy turned into a bee,lol.
    They're all up on youtube, but don't know if we can post the links here.Tey haven't aged well, but still good for a bit of nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

A few of the x-files scared ****e outa me when i was younger alright

The film of Prince Of Darkness TERRIFIED me though - mainly cuase parents sent me to bed before was over so never saw end of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The boogeyman episode from the newer Outer Limits series.

A few of the Real Ghostbusters ghosts. Oddly enough including the Boogeyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The attic scene on Luther

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Theme tune to Twin Peaks. Give you the heebie jeebies by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

The psycho shower scene and Halloween were the most terrifying for me growing up!

The lost boys opening scene where the camera pans down on the car always rscared the cr*p outta me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Exterminate!

some of the Doctor Who episodes from the 80s scared me terribly, I think it's because of the way the special effects were, all unnatural looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

X-Files episode where there is this nursing home and ghosts are killing the staff (or something like that). That scared the sh*t out of me. I'm sure there are plenty more X-Files moments I could list too :)

Not much else that I watch on TV these days would give me scares... some stuff can be gross (e.g. Walking Dead) or freaky (e.g. Fringe) but I can't think of anything particularly scary in the way the X-Files was.

As for movies, these would be mostly as kid/young teen but here's few random snippets of horror...
    Childs Play - the scene under car seat (good way to get kids want to sit in the back I guess) & the scene where the woman checks the batteries
    Alien - I really shouldn't have watched that
    The Shining - I watched this with my two older cousins one night (I think I was around 8, they were a year or two older). That scene with the bath tub when she turned into the dead woman. I covered my eyes, they said they fast forwarded past it for me and it was safe to look. Fcukers just paused it on her :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I remember I used to get really freaked out by episodes of Unsolved Mysteries as a kid when I used to stay up late to watch it. Mainly because they were real(ish) stories. The theme music still stirs a gnawing anxiety in me when I hear it. Though if I watched it now I'd probably just laugh at how heavy handed it is. There were some creepy stories in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

The thing that made my stomach drop was actually in M. Knight Shalamamamamanaannnaa's "Signs". I was suffering through this dreadful movie, but I have to say, the first time we see the aliens on that news report kinda gave me a short sharp shock. One of those unexpected, totally caught my breath moments.

Wasn't enough to save that movie, tho.

American Horror Story has had some interestingly scary moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I may have posted this before but there was a show named the Demon Headmaster while shown on BBC2. It used to scare the freakin' wits out of me when I was a 6 year old.

Are you afraid of the dark used to give me the chills too.

I used to watch a show called Hugo on TNAG (TG4) when it was on in the weekends during the mid 90's. There was a witch on it named Syclla. I generally knew at the time that she's was just a figment of our imagination because she's part of a video game but I would usually hide my head behind my hands & close my eyes in not seeing her.

It was scary to watch her all the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ghostwatch on BBC as already mentioned.

It deserves another mention as it scared the bejaysus out of me as a child and it the mocumentary element was truely ahead of its time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Mmm Salem’s Lot was pretty darn scary when you were a kid, that scene when little Danny is floating outside Petrie’s window scraping his dirty dead fingers nails off his window. Didn’t help when you had an older áss hole brother who liked to play out those scenes at night. James Mason plays a great character, and David Soul was cool as fook.

Hammer films were awesome, we used to live at the lodge in Powerscourt Waterfalls when we were kids, so that in itself was a scary back drop to watching a horror film. Exorcist, Texas, The Thing, The Fog, Pet Cemetery, Halloween, Jaws, the list is endless…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Used to love Hammer House of Horrors.
    I used to get the chills on a Sunday night(I think) when I'd hear the Tales of the Unexpected music. Not exactly scary but one of my fav episodes was Royal Jelly, where the guy turned into a bee,lol.
    They're all up on youtube, but don't know if we can post the links here.Tey haven't aged well, but still good for a bit of nostalgia.

Keep a look out on the Sky Arts channels-they still show episodes of Tales Of The Unexpected from time to time.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

American Horror Story, particularly the second season `; Asylum. And especially the intro. I worked nights while I was watching it and never got through the opening credits without fast forwarding:/

Has anybody seen the original version of "The Vanishing"?
    I've seen the remake with Kiefer Sutherland a couple of times-only ever seen clips of the original and for some reason it seems scarier....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Around the time of Threads there was also a tv show about rabies. It was terrifying. but I agree,Threads was difficult to get out of a young imagination at night. there was a scene I remember of someone lying under a van, they got vaporized by the blast and only a smudgy mark remained on the ground. It was far scarier than it sounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Salems Lot

remember when they started making crosses with lolly pop sticks

and when the master appeared in the last episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Another vote for Salem's Lot. That fecking thing freaked me out for literally months afterwards. Danny Glick or whatever his name was tapping at the window, the other Glick kid in the coffin opening his fecked up eyes, the gravedigger in the rocking chair upstairs and on and on.....

The movie had a really creepy atmosphere.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

The x files had an episode where that Doug weirdo the one whose married to Courtney Stodden was in it. He plays this creature thing that wakes up every 40 years and feeds on human organs. There was a particular scene where he comes in through an air vent.

Scream where he's in the toilet you just see his feet under the door or Copycat where he gets her in the toilet. That scared me so much that to this day I won't use a middle toilet when out. I always use an end one so that I only have to watch one side as I still think somebodies gonna lean over the top and strangle me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ghostwatch, scared the beejeebus out of me, but spare a though for my poor mate who had to walk home in the dark after watching it in my house!

The woman in black - the TV version, where she comes up from the end of the bed. oh man.

fryup wrote: »
    Salems Lot

remember when they started making crosses with lolly pop sticks

and when the master appeared in the last episode
    Really creepy film....really savage photo!!
    Green Hornet spot on about the atmosphere in that movie....
    "...open the window,Mark,(scratch scratch),open the window..."

Both the sequel,and the remake(Rob Lowe),unfortunately were disappointing to the tune of being complete and utter sheit.

Zoltan-The Hound Of Dracula.

Them dogs were effin scary,and that scene in the woods where the poor backpacker gets mauled to death is enough to have a grown man shaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Portrait Of Jennie, I was about nine years old, and it was the first time that I realised that ghosts could appear during the day. Not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Salems Lot scared the sh1te out of me when I originally saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Japanese ghosts with white skin and long black hair, nothing else is creepy. Guess its because I was brought up watching slasher films and hell raiser and the like so all those do nothing for me anymore. Sinister had some good moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

The moment when I realised Homeland was the new Lost.
    The moment when I realised I no longer watch The Simpsons.
    The entire third season of Suits to date.
    Watching reruns of Dallas and realising I wasted a solid portion of the 1980s.
    The fact that Coach is no longer going to be in Cheers (look... I'm getting help for that one).

Where are you watching third series of suits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Zorro used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid. I used to have nightmares that he broke into my house and wanted to kill me, and I always hid under the stairs, because Zorro was an idiot and never looked there.

It wasn't until I was older that I realised Zorro is supposed to be a good guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

one Hammer House of Horror that scared me involved this creepy kid in a family and he would do weird things but one scene that I remember was that he took a knife to his teddy bunny and there was real guts inside it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

When there was a boogeyman,or perhaps even boogeymen,in the Simpsons household

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

When the TV cameras zoomed in on the terrifying features of Michael Noonan on Budget Day.. I haven't come out from behind the sofa since

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Not really scary, but certainly gruesome so fits the Halloween theme would be several very vivid scenes in Spartacus. Primarily when one of the guys gets the front of his face chopped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

For me as a kid it had to me Mr Kruger.... NOES, could not sleep for years over that bastard!!!

Also, IT the clown, no need for him in fairness

For me as a kid it had to me Mr Kruger.... NOES, could not sleep for years over that bastard!!!

"1, 2,Freddie's gonna get you,
    3, 4,Better lock your door,
    5, 6,Get a crucifix,
    7, 8,Gotta stay awake......"
    (Sorry,I really couldn't resist that-I had totally forgotten about those films)

While on the subject of verses and numbers,another eerie one springs to mind-the still of Damien Thorn's smiling angelic little face accompanied by the lines:
    "Let those who have wisdom and understanding count the number of the beast,for it is the number of a human.
    His number is 666."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

The end of the first episode of the 2nd season of Twin Peaks where Ronette Pulaski has a flashback of Laura Palmer being killed in the train car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Whenever 'Bob' appeared on Twin Peaks.

Tony Soprano knocking a guys teeth out on a step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

The late night horror movies on bbc2 in the 80's and one film in particular has stuck with me ever since; Freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

brevity wrote: »
    Are you afraid of the dark?

I remember one episode about a ghost who kept saying "I'm cold". The story was that a kid lost his red coat and eventually died from hypothermia.

Once they gave the kid his red coat back the ghost would stop haunting people. That episode always stuck with me.

It got "banned" in our house because my younger sisters kept having nightmares.

I remember a great episode of that where some salvager picked up a load of loot from a sunken ship, and anytime hes sleep the dead would walk out of the sea to come and get him

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Seasan wrote: »
    "1, 2,Freddie's gonna get you,
    3, 4,Better lock your door,
    5, 6,Get a crucifix,
    7, 8,Gotta stay awake......"
    (Sorry,I really couldn't resist that-I had totally forgotten about those films)

While on the subject of verses and numbers,another eerie one springs to mind-the still of Damien Thorn's smiling angelic little face accompanied by the lines:
    "Let those who have wisdom and understanding count the number of the beast,for it is the number of a human.
    His number is 666."

9, 10 never sleep again
    I remember as a kid being completely feeaked out by the dead girl in a body bag walking through the school, shudder.

There was a tv show, possibly a twilight zone ep, where someone could hear a baby crying, and eventually traced it to a jar of red goo in a shed. Very creepy for some reason. Had a flashback to that babysitting my niece one night when she was crying in a dark room.

The Wicker Man-original version with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward.
    The final scene with the Pagan sacrifice,when he is inside the burning wicker man and you can hear his screams and the shrieking of the animals over the Pagans singing hymns-thought that was quite harrowing.

The Human Centipede.
    Not a horror,but a psychological shocker-one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen-and a film I never want to see again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement