Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using iPad as sole computer?

• 16-10-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a business and I have decided that for the type of business it is, I'll need an iPad to show samples of the product to possible customers, etc. I also want to use Pages as my primary software (the product is based on the written word, and my general looking and research has left me thinking Pages will be the best presentation and editing software).

Anyway, I can't afford to upgrade my laptop (currently a windows machine) at the same time. I'm wondering how using an iPad as a primary typing and editing machine is? I know you can get keyboard attachments etc, but is typing and editing documents going to wreck my head on an iPad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

I've no idea how effective or efficient a ipad is as a main working machine - but there is pages available on iCloud that you can access via a windows computer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a business and I have decided that for the type of business it is, I'll need an iPad to show samples of the product to possible customers, etc. I also want to use Pages as my primary software (the product is based on the written word, and my general looking and research has left me thinking Pages will be the best presentation and editing software).

Anyway, I can't afford to upgrade my laptop (currently a windows machine) at the same time. I'm wondering how using an iPad as a primary typing and editing machine is? I know you can get keyboard attachments etc, but is typing and editing documents going to wreck my head on an iPad?

Yes. I have a laptop and an iPad. I've tried editing on the ipad and it's a head-wrecker indeed. It's by no means impossible, and I stuck with it over a four day project which I completed, but I could have done it in half the time on the laptop. I touch-type and am fast, and I found even an attached keyboard fiddly and difficult to get used to and the ipad doesn't lend itself to jobs that involve multitasking like researching and writing.
    I see them as two difference devices serving two different purposes. The ipad is a media viewer, email client and internet browser IMO and it's great for those tasks. It's also handy if you're stuck and need to do quick edits and can't get to a computer, but in no way would it be a laptop replacement. Given a choice, and if it's for work, get yourself a laptop and when you make a success of your business, treat yourself to an ipad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would a bluetooth keyboard have helped? About 70 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

If you plan to type up long reports, and need to print them, I'd still use a laptop. OP, why not give your laptop a clean and a fresh install of the OS and use it for your typing needs. And use the iPad for other bits??

The only reason I turn on my laptop now is to type up documents. I use my iPad for everything else. Saying that if I had Pages and a keyboard I may use it to type things up. But I'd see it as step down more than anything compared to my laptop for typing. I don't think you'll beat a mouse for ease of use and efficiency for that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

biko wrote: »
    Would a bluetooth keyboard have helped? About 70 euro.

I was using one. They help, but not enough. I love my ipad, but it's not a device I'd rely on for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Dman001 wrote: »
    If you plan to type up long reports, and need to print them, I'd still use a laptop. OP, why not give your laptop a clean and a fresh install of the OS and use it for your typing needs. And use the iPad for other bits??

My laptop is a bit bashed, physically. And I want to be able to use Pages seamlessly, so I'll be checking out the pages in icloud... My current laptop is about 4 years old so its nearing the end of its natural life. I've already had to get a screen replacements, battery replacement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Does copy and paste between apps even work on the iPad?

Why is that an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

The ipad is a good media/lounge device but I would never rely on one for business purposes over a traditional laptop with Windows. You can try installing linux mint on your laptop, it's free and is on par with a mac without being resource hungry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Of course it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 stonecipher

What about a refurbished 11" Macbook Air should get a decent discount?

Also Apple have an event on the 22nd probably best to hold off on the iPad till then a new one is likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've used my iPad when I'm away on business for typing up meeting reports while I'm at the airport and on the plane. However, the main editing is always done on a computer when I get home. I use dropbox to transfer files pretty easily and efficiently.

Can't say I'd be 100% comfortable using my iPad as the sole writing and editing tool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the iPad is fine for typing on, even without the keyboard add-on, but it's not suitable for proper editing. It's not that you wouldn't be able to do everything. The Pages app is almost fully functional and with the help of third party apps there's very little you can't do on an iPad now, it would just be a lot easier and less time consuming on a computer.

Thanks all. Tbh I was fairly sure id get these answers so that's grand. I had a look at pages in iCloud and it's pretty great and a possible solution until I can upgrade my laptop. For me I think having the iPad is actually more important as I'll need to have samples etc easily viewable and the iPad will do that really well. So now I wait until the 22nd to see what the craic is. :)

Why is that an issue?

Well apparently it does work - I never use my iPad for anything other than consumption, not even email.

But without copy and paste a device cannot really work as a work device.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I've used my iPad when I'm away on business for typing up meeting reports while I'm at the airport and on the plane. However, the main editing is always done on a computer when I get home. I use dropbox to transfer files pretty easily and efficiently.

Can't say I'd be 100% comfortable using my iPad as the sole writing and editing tool.

I'd use mine in a similar way. Editing is really fiddly, particularly in Keynote, for presentations. I got the ultra thin Logitech keyboard which really helps with the typing, acts as a case, and looks really, really smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well apparently it does work - I never use my iPad for anything other than consumption, not even email.

But without copy and paste a device cannot really work as a work device.

Well to be fair I don't think you know how to use the device fully if you don't know about copy and paste.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well to be fair I don't think you know how to use the device fully if you don't know about copy and paste.

To be fair I didn't say I did. To be fair I asked a question. About whether the device handled copy and paste. To be fair that question was not rhetorical or a sneer - it was an actual question.

And to be even fairer ill use my iPad as I damn well please.

Which is as a device for consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

To be fair I didn't say I did. To be fair I asked a question. About whether the device handled copy and paste. To be fair that question was not rhetorical or a sneer - it was an actual question.

And to be even fairer ill use my iPad as I damn well please.

Which is as a device for consumption.

That's fine just amazed that you don't know about copy and paste on an iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I just dictate my documents to mine.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »
    I just dictate my documents to mine.

I have a dictation app too but how do you edit using dictation?

I have a dictation app too but how do you edit using dictation?

You dont need a dictation app, it's a simple function of Siri.

You punctuate as you go along, by uttering commands such as "comma" or "new paragraph".

If necessary, you can then tidy up afterwards, manually.

This post was brought to you using dictation. Full stop :-)

You dont need a dictation app, it's a simple function of Siri.

You punctuate as you go along, by uttering commands such as "comma" or "new paragraph".

If necessary, you can then tidy up afterwards, manually.

This post was brought to you using dictation. Full stop :-)

I don't have Siri on the iPad (1st generation), that only comes with iOS 6 onwards so a dictation app is necessary for me.

My point about editing on the iPad still stands. It's a fiddly process that is far, far slower than on a computer. :(

I don't have Siri on the iPad (1st generation), that only comes with iOS 6 onwards so a dictation app is necessary for me.

My point about editing on the iPad still stands. It's a fiddly process that is far, far slower than on a computer. :(

Well, fair enough, I didn't realise you had the original iPad.

However, I do have the latest model and Siri and it's the easiest and fastest way of getting a lengthy document done. When I go to my MacBook these days! it feels positively archaic I waste more time double-tapping the spacebar for a full stop on it, than I do going over my dictated document for the odd error.

Well, fair enough, I didn't realise you had the original iPad.

However, I do have the latest model and Siri and it's the easiest and fastest way of getting a lengthy document done. When I go to my MacBook these days! it feels positively archaic I waste more time double-tapping the spacebar for a full stop on it, than I do going over my dictated document for the odd error.

Heh :) How long would it take to correct the above errors using Siri?Remove exclamation point, replace with comma, delete lowercase i and replace with uppercase I. Any slower than two seconds is a fail in my book.

Also, how is Siri at chemical names and medical terminology? I'm genuinely interested. That said, I often write confidential documents so dictating out loud isn't a great idea whether using apps or Siri :( I usually type them away from prying eyes.

Heh :) How long would it take to correct the above errors using Siri?Remove exclamation point, replace with comma, delete lowercase i and replace with uppercase I. Any slower than two seconds is a fail in my book.

Also, how is Siri at chemical names and medical terminology? I'm genuinely interested. That said, I often write confidential documents so dictating out loud isn't a great idea whether using apps or Siri :( I usually type them away from prying eyes.

Actually, the errors above were made while typing as I was on the DART by the that time. I have been making that error frequently when typing since the introduction of IOS 7, but I don't know whether to blame the latter or myself and my over-enthusiastic, speedy thumbs. Years of Psion usage has made me very fast but I don't yet know if it's a bug in iOS 7 or my latest senior moment hitting the shift key when I simply want a comma.

As for medical terms, you're welcome to send me some text by PM and in the interests of research, I'll give it a lash.

P.S: I often switch languages when dictating and dictating say, in French, without errors, is equally impressive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Actually, the errors above were made while typing as I was on the DART by the that time. I have been making that error frequently when typing since the introduction of IOS 7, but I don't know whether to blame the latter or myself and my over-enthusiastic, speedy thumbs. Years of Psion usage has made me very fast but I don't yet know if it's a bug in Siri or my latest senior moment hitting the shift key when I simply want a comma.

As for medical terms, you're welcome to send me some text by PM and in the interests of research, I'll give it a lash.

P.S: I often switch languages when dictating and dictating say, in French, without errors, is equally impressive.

Jaysus Culabula, is there no end to your talents!!!:D

whiterebel wrote: »
    Jaysus Culabula, is there no end to your talents!!!:D

Had no idea there was a beginning to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Too many short sighted people who think that assessing the iPad as being capable of being someone's only computer means it has to do everything. WTF ?

Most people only want to do a few things. Most people only want to use the web, email, social apps. and a few more. Email is a creative process, for example, not consumptive.

I myself would need, and enjoy a desktop, as well because I want to do many things that only that kind of device can offer.

But I have written long documents including several business plans and reports on an iPad. I have also created a number of presentations. I've never had a typing problem or a formatting issue. I guess I just believe in learning how to do something before I throw my hands up and blame the tool.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    But I have written long documents including several business plans and reports on an iPad. I have also created a number of presentations. I've never had a typing problem or a formatting issue. I guess I just believe in learning how to do something before I throw my hands up and blame the tool.

I don't think anyone has said that the iPad cannot do these things. I've stated that I write documents on the iPad. I do also edit documents on the iPad but I prefer a PC/Mac for editing because it's faster (in my experience). I am a professional writer, it's what I do for a living. I spend all day, every day, writing and editing and I still find the PC/Mac faster than the iPad when it comes to intensive editing.

Advertisement