Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for solo travel for just a few days, need to break

• 16-10-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have a terrible case of itchy feet and I got a small bit of money (600euro) a while back which I popped into the bank for a rainy day. Now it should probably be put aside for when something comes up, like bills, but I feel like my window for frivolously treating myself to something is closing rapidly (we're planning a baby soon!!). Unfortunately my wonderful partner can't come with me, but he's very supportive of me doing something for myself as I've had a difficult and stressful year. But what can I do? I could only go for a week at the most, so that rules out big trips, plus a budget of 600Euro isn't a huge amount. Basically I like active holidays, scenery, lots of culture and nice food, but I hate shopping and noise...any ideas?? Plus, is it mental to just go away by yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

Plus, is it mental to just go away by yourself?

Nope you'd be surprised how many people do it. Personaly I actually prefer to go away now on my own as it give me the freedom to see and do whatever the hell i want!

For your first solo trip I'd recommend a 2night/3days city break, just enough time to figure out if you like these sort of trips or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Bilbao maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Do Lombardy in Italy. You could get a Ryanair flight into Pisa. Nothing much there, but you could tick the Leaning Tower off your list, and then pop over to Florence. Spend a couple of day there- lots of culture obviously, and great food. Then, depending on time, you could spend a couple of days in Siena, and maybe a day in Lucca. Public transport is quite good, so no need for a car. And €600 would cover, as long as you aren't looking for luxury accom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

how about Rome ? theres lots to do and see and lovely restaurants etc you can also do a trip to Florence. Ive been there on my own and it was fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

You're not mad at all- I did a month of solo travel during the summer. Would highly recommend it! :D Currently looking for a 3-4 day solo trip in december. I've noticed there aren't a whole lot of places of interest to me, flight wise from ireland/cork. Tip: You can get cheap flights to england and cheap flights from england to the continent (that's what i'm planning on doing)

My two favourite cities were munich and prague. Poland's really cheap too! :) I also don't like noise or shopping either. I found Paris a bit in your face, noise wise. But it's a really pretty city and lots to do. I did Paris pretty cheap so it is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Einhard wrote: »
    Do Lombardy in Italy. You could get a Ryanair flight into Pisa. Nothing much there, but you could tick the Leaning Tower off your list, and then pop over to Florence. Spend a couple of day there- lots of culture obviously, and great food. Then, depending on time, you could spend a couple of days in Siena, and maybe a day in Lucca. Public transport is quite good, so no need for a car. And €600 would cover, as long as you aren't looking for luxury accom.

+1!

I did this with a friend last year and had an amazing time! Flew into Pisa and spent a night there in a hostel, saw the leaning tower and strolled around and then got a train to Florence the next morning. LOVE Florence! And then took a day trip on the train to Siena, which is pretty and well worth a see! I was only there for 4 days in total, but it was enough to see everything at a chilled pace, no rushing.

Was in Rome a few weeks ago and that was lovely, i'm a big Rome fan too!

Advertisement