Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinesio Tape availability

• 16-10-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭

Folks, a friend of mine is carrying a bit of an injury but he's been told he should be ok for Dublin by a physio who has recommended this Kinesio tape thingy. He'll be going to Dublin on Friday and is wondering if the tape will be available at the expo. Where might he get it otherwise? Thanks for replies, I'll pass em on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have some left on a roll that I don't need if you want it. If not, any running shop should have it and they usually have a stall at the expo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Elveries sell the pre cut tape (not ideal).

Surprised that the physio recommended it without giving any sort of instruction (or indeed applying it first themselves). There are some handy tutorials on Youtube to help but advise your friend to get instructions from the physio on what muscle you are aiming to tape up and whether or not the aim is to anchor the muscle or inhibit (again depending on the injury)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

ecoli wrote: »
    Elveries sell the pre cut tape (not ideal).

Surprised that the physio recommended it without giving any sort of instruction (or indeed applying it first themselves). There are some handy tutorials on Youtube to help but advise your friend to get instructions from the physio on what muscle you are aiming to tape up and whether or not the aim is to anchor the muscle or inhibit (again depending on the injury)

Thanks, ecoli, will do. He did get some advice alright about applying it. I've only spoken to him briefly on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I buy the unbranded on ebay and it's great and much cheaper than KT tape. best to shave the area you are putting it on if you can.

rom wrote: »
    I buy the unbranded on ebay and it's great and much cheaper than KT tape. best to shave the area you are putting it on if you can.

I was wondering about the shaving! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Last couple of years the KT Tape crew were at the expo with a physio and they were taping people if it was wanted. Might be a course of action.

Bit unusual to hear of a physio recommending tape and not actually doing the taping alright.

Last couple of years the KT Tape crew were at the expo with a physio and they were taping people if it was wanted. Might be a course of action.

Bit unusual to hear of a physio recommending tape and not actually doing the taping alright.

tbh most physios do a 1 day course to apply it. There are loads of youtube video that show you to apply it for each ailment if you are sure what the problem it. Personally I got the physio to do it the first time and did it myself after that. Say for IT band just search youtube for "it band kt tape". Paying 50 euro each time to put this on is mental.

You leave it on till it falls off. If a corner lifts then just trim it.

It is also excellent to any place where you have had chaffing of to prevent bloody nipples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

rom wrote: »
    tbh most physios do a 1 day course to apply it. There are loads of youtube video that show you to apply it for each ailment if you are sure what the problem it. Personally I got the physio to do it the first time and did it myself after that. Say for IT band just search youtube for "it band kt tape". Paying 50 euro each time to put this on is mental.

You leave it on till it falls off. If a corner lifts then just trim it.

It is also excellent to any place where you have had chaffing of to prevent bloody nipples.

To be honest while there are some good video's but you will find about 4 different applications for each injury in and 3 of them might be wrong.

While you are correct with the course that is only the level one course which is quite basic but doesn't take into account some of the applications such as lymphatic drainage and inhibiting muscles which are hyper tonic.

Going the the physio also I would see the application of tape as secondary to the actual treatment so would rarely actually go just to have it applied (although I have heard of physio's/therapists doing this pre event but would never charge anywhere near a full treatment price)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

NO tape should roll back from the margins. If you find this happens you are likely applying tension all the way to the end of the tape. To avoid this. only apply stretch to within about an inch of the end. Hold it with your finger or thumb and let the very tip recoil. When the elastic relaxes...just tap it into place. In this way there isnt any tension pulling it back off the skin.

ecoli wrote: »
    To be honest while there are some good video's but you will find about 4 different applications for each injury in and 3 of them might be wrong.

While you are correct with the course that is only the level one course which is quite basic but doesn't take into account some of the applications such as lymphatic drainage and inhibiting muscles which are hyper tonic.

Going the the physio also I would see the application of tape as secondary to the actual treatment so would rarely actually go just to have it applied (although I have heard of physio's/therapists doing this pre event but would never charge anywhere near a full treatment price)

yet to get a discount at any physio tbh. One physio applied it to me and refered to the manual she had. Now I am sorry but I can read also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, a friend of mine is carrying a bit of an injury but he's been told he should be ok for Dublin by a physio who has recommended this Kinesio tape thingy. He'll be going to Dublin on Friday and is wondering if the tape will be available at the expo. Where might he get it otherwise? Thanks for replies, I'll pass em on.

I have bought it in Physioneeds in Ringsend.

http://www.physioneeds.biz/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

groovyg wrote: »
    I have bought it in Physioneeds in Ringsend.

http://www.physioneeds.biz/

<pedantic> Not Ringsend, but Irishtown</pedantic>:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I always thought this tape was just a fad?

Don't know about that. As a "cramper" I'm wondering if it would help me in the future. I know I should go to a physio first but from what my buddy was saying and from my experience, I'd try anything. I fantasize - Yes, I know it's sad - about finishing a marathon without cramps and being able to post that in my race report. It would be the first line. Hopefully followed by, "and a new PB"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

I was deeply sceptical too. I have a hip stability problem that causes my left foot to turn in and brush the inside of my right calf, especially when tired. My physio taped me a few times (during other sessions of manipulation and dry needling) and gave me a taping lesson in advance of the Cork Marathon as well as giving me enough tape for the race. I taped myself on race morning, and as I was walking into race HQ I felt as if my left foot was turned out - however on looking down it was symmetrical with the other one. Despite running to my limit, (my training had been curtailed) I had no problems with the left foot rubbing the other leg. It's hard to say exactly how much of a benefit it is, but it definitely does no harm.

Advertisement