Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adidas Smartwatch

Options
  • 16-10-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

Yet another running watch announced. I do like the fact it measures HR without a chest strap, next year should be interesting with all the new Garmin kit coming as well.

adidas_sports_watch_sg_0-580x369.jpg

Adidas Smartwatch takes fitness seriously with GPS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

opus wrote: »
    Yet another running watch announced. I do like the fact it measures HR without a chest strap, next year should be interesting with all the new Garmin kit coming as well.

adidas_sports_watch_sg_0-580x369.jpg

Adidas Smartwatch takes fitness seriously with GPS

Looks savage but I will have to see if it's another motoactive.

1. There is a marathon mode (? really like really you need to enable that)
    2. Reason why garmin/polar are popular is that they have a complete system similar to the ipod. you need a portal that is great also. Motorola didn't have that even though their watch was promising.
    The only thing that stands out is HR without strap similar to that kickstarter project. Never used miCoach portal so no idea how good it is.
    3. These watches are aimed at mass market rather than a serious runner so running shops are less likely to stock them.
    4. It does not look nice but that didn't stop the motorola active from being popular. But this looks really bad.
    5. Personal I want to use a watch that are still going to be making watches in 5 years time and I will have all my historical data on their portal and this remains to be seen if it is adidas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

dcrainmaker tweeted his derision about this yesterday, basically...

1. device wont be compatible with other sites on release (due at some uncommitted time in the future)
    2. Adidas would not let anyone from the press touch the device at a press event 2 weeks out from launch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The key issue I'd have is this little button at the bottom of the watch here:

adidas_sports_watch_sg_2.jpg

I'm guessing that this triggers a heart-rate reading. So the watch doesn't actually constantly record your heart-rate (it would be too battery intensive), but rather is just triggered on-demand.

I bought a watch from LIDL that worked exactly like this, and it too was sh1te. Also, I must admit to being a bit of an Android fan-boy, but I wouldn't like my watch to be running on the OS. Too many reboots for comfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Big review by DC Rainmaker is reasonably positive with some caveats about battery life and gps accuracy. Not one for the ultra-runners anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The key issue I'd have is this little button at the bottom of the watch here:
    I'm guessing that this triggers a heart-rate reading. So the watch doesn't actually constantly record your heart-rate (it would be too battery intensive), but rather is just triggered on-demand.
    Glad to read that I was wrong about the way the HR monitor works. It would be great if Garmin could incorporate the optical HR measurement into their watches, without having a massive impact on the battery.Most of my workouts would be less than 2.5 hours, so I could possibly live with the battery life, but what really bothers me is the GPS accuracy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement