Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Tips?

Options
  • 16-10-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey so I'm doing my Junior Cert this year and I'm looking for tips from people who've done theirs already. I'd like you to give me tips on each subject and what's important to study for. My worst subjects are Maths and Irish. The subjects that I want to do well in the most are probably French, Business and English. I'm doing HL everything. Here's a list of the subjects I do:
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    French
    Geography
    Science
    C.S.P.E.
    Business
    Woodwork
    Metalwork
    Religion.
    I appreciate all answers :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

ConorFTW wrote: »
    Hey so I'm doing my Junior Cert this year and I'm looking for tips from people who've done theirs already. I'd like you to give me tips on each subject and what's important to study for. My worst subjects are Maths and Irish. The subjects that I want to do well in the most are probably French, Business and English. I'm doing HL everything. Here's a list of the subjects I do:
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    French
    Geography
    Science
    C.S.P.E.
    Business
    Woodwork
    Metalwork
    Religion.
    I appreciate all answers :)

Hey there :)

I did my Junior Cert in 2012 and now that I'm finished, I can see that it really wasn't as important as my teachers made it out to be.

Studying
    I unfortunately can't help you on the French, Woodwork, Business, and Metalwork seeing as I didn't do those subjects.
    My teachers ran after-school classes nearly every day of the week to help you with any issues you have on the course. This was my life-saver for maths. I went from a D in the mocks to an A in the real thing because of extra classes. I also attended these classes for English, Spanish, C.S.P.E, Technology, and Religion.

With regards to studying at home, I used a lot of revision books. I don't think I can say the name (Would it be advertising?) of the books I used, but I would highly recommend getting some, they really condense down all the actual information you need.

I should probably take a bit of my own advice here, try to make a study plan. It will seriously help you a bit more organised and then you can track your progress you are making with your revision.

One last word on studying, Do as many exam papers as you can. Exam papers and questions are the best way to study, as it will get you more familiar with the type of questions asked and writing out the answers will help to reinforce the information.

What topics you need to study
    This is a little hard to answer, because really it's just about everything you have done that you need to revise over. That's why I found revision books so helpful, they're a lot less daunting than reading through a 400+ page text book.

As I said above, do exam papers, you will notice a trend in the things that come up in the papers.

I can't really think of anything else, but if I haven't made anything clear enough, or you still have questions, just let me know :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For Junior Cert.:
    • Listen properly in class
    • Do not leave a classroom not understanding something
    • Do every piece of homework as if it was an exam question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I got a D on my Maths higher level mocks but got a B on the Junior Cert higher level. What I did to improve my results:

-Do every past paper there is!
    -After you do a past paper, give them to a teacher so they'll correct it.
    -When you get the paper back and you got questions wrong, re-do the past paper.
    -Keep repeating until you get 100%, but you only give it to the teacher once. Make sure the teacher shows you the method for the right answer.
    -The week before the Junior Cert exam started, I re-done all the past papers again.

By the time you do what I did, you should be sick of seeing numbers! But everyone is different, and I wanted to improve my grade really badly, so I put the effort into it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dylanobyrne1

1. Always listen in class and if you don't understand something always ask the teacher

2. When studying always remember, Be comfortable where you're studying, Be in a quiet place, Do the hardest subjects first and if you can, rewrite the main points of the subject or chapter

3. In exams, Always be prepared, Make sure you have you calculater, pencils, pens etc. Never panic in an exam, stay relaxed and try to feel calm doing the exam

Try to follow these and you should be fine :) I'm also doing Junior Cert this year, Hope you do well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

ConorFtw I'm going to be honest with you, a lot of what the above people said is general wishy washy material that's constantly shoved down the necks of jc students every year "listen in class" "ask questions" blah blah blah

I sat the junior cert in 2012 and achieved 10 honours A's so I know what I'm talking about and the one tip I can give to you is to learn how to answer questions to A1 standard and nothing else, in the likes of English there's no point learning a million Shakespeare quotes if you can't write a decent answer.Look at sample answers, look and note what makes them stand out, look at marking schemes and see what the examiners are after, this applies to most subjects (excepts maths etc). Another tip I'd give is use teachers to your advantage, only hand up YOUR BEST ATTEMPT (if this means spending a lot of time on a piece of work so be it) at a question and get them to explain where you're going right/wrong. After a while you'll learn this skill of answering questions and revision will be a piece of piss!

Also look at trends in the exam papers in the likes of history, certain topics come up EVERY second year. You can't be expected to learn off a 400 page book, narrow it down to what's most likely gonna come up (I helped some of my mates get A's in history and geography by telling then what to learn)
    PM me if you have any further queries✌️

• Advertisement
Advertisement