Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors forum at a loss due to bans handed down to regulars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I think the problem that posters have is that people are being banned and others are leaving and this has left the place empty. It's a motors forum and it needs people who know what they are talking about.

Even some of the mods don't post as often with anything useful like they used to.......

I think the chat thread has led to clique-ism in and of itself, giving buzz and chat in one space while removing conversation and traffic from other spaces.

Not sure if that's OT for this thread, but it's worth saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

AltAccount wrote: »
    I think the chat thread has led to clique-isms.

They were already there.

The problem for mods is these so called great posters cant be so great if they are getting banned for a reason even after warnings !

To be fair a lot of the problems that were created were from posters trying to pin down certain regulars and then getting pissed off and reporting posts when they made ejits out of them.

It's not RJ's fault if on occasion he exposed people as shyte talkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

To be fair a lot of the problems that were created were from posters trying to pin down certain regulars and then getting pissed off and reporting posts when they made ejits out of them.

It's not RJ's fault if on occasion he exposed people as shyte talkers.

a mod would usually step in but i have seen it before where a mod would step in and then turn onto the mod on the thread having a disagreement after they say stop.

all they guys have to do is report a post they dont like or take it to PM's

PM's

PM = Lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The chat thread has changed motors and to the worse.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056990148

Said it before and I'll say it again. The cliques and the inane rubbish spouted out rolled into other threads and has visibly removed knowledgeable posters from motors.

Any site banned user was banned on their merits. You can't deny that. I look forward to an improved forum now that thread is gone. We can maybe with the help and willingness of the mods get back to what was once a great forum.

Edit Just saw it's open again. Shame.....

MugMugs wrote: »
    visibly removed knowledgeable posters from motors. .

At least we have you left eh :rolleyes:

MugsMug for you to complain about 'cliques' is rich, VERY VERY RICH.

Here have a video to explain it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZQnhvf49o

Ummm.... I'm not really into the whole cloak and dagger thing so if you've got something to get off your chest (pre account closure of course) then fire away otherwise there's no real point.

Ummm.... I'm not really into the whole cloak and dagger thing so if you've got something to get off your chest (pre account closure of course) then fire away otherwise there's no real point.
    I think it's clear from above. For you to complain about cliques is rich, VERY VERY RICH.

How long before the others arrive I wonder...........

Here have a video to explain it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZQnhvf49o

Nice, attack the poster. No wonder people are leaving if this is the quality of posting.

• Advertisement

I think it's clear from above. For you to complain about cliques is rich, VERY VERY RICH.

How long before the others arrive I wonder...........
    :confused:
    It's not rich at all. It's my opinion. An opinion I'm entitled to and have supported with a link to a previous thread.

AltAccount wrote: »
    Nice, attack the poster. No wonder people are leaving if this is the quality of posting.
    I never attacked him.

I said it was hugely ironic that he was complaining about cliques on motors.

Can you point out where I attacked him?

The video explains that he is trying to not be (part) of something he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

So the general gist of this thread is:

popular people should not be held to the same rules as others that we don't like as much or know as well ?

I accept the point that a good contributor (or two or however many) has been banned and as a result the forum has lost valuable input.

I do not accept the suggestion that being a good contributor on one forum, or being liked by the other users, somehow allows a user to ignore mod rulings or forum charters.

Users should be well aware by now of the existence of the DRP, especially if they are long term contributors. If a ban was handed down unfairly then there are two tiers of oversight to look over the mod decision and review the ban. If that hasn't been done its either because:

a: the user didn't contest the ban because its not something they feel they can successfully appeal

or

b: they did appeal but the ban was upheld based on the evidence available to the cmods and admins involved.

Mods don't just ban who they feel like banning on a whim (those were the days! :D ). As already pointed out on this thread, there are rules and there are warnings and a progression of events that lead up to a ban. If the forum meant so much to a user, then they would have had ample opportunity to stop breaking the charters or rules and continue to post. The fact that they didn't would, imho, suggest that the regard you hold for these users is pretty much a one way thing.

as for the chat thread: from what I can see, the thread was closed to allow the mods to moderate the posts. it is not an uncommon practise when there is a high number of posts being made that are in breach of the charter or contrary to mod instruction. the thread looks like its been reopened after the tidy up. For those thinking it is some ploy by the "higher ups" to keep the informed users from talking, the CT forum is located under Soc category, please, go, enjoy.

Now, the suggestion and point raised in the OP has been answered. Unless this becomes something other than a "free the motors forum one/two/three/four/five/however many" I'm going to close this thread as having run its course.

I never attacked him.

I said it was hugely ironic that he was complaining about cliques on motors.

Can you point out where I attacked him?

The video explains that he is trying to not be (part) of something he is.

If you can't see how your post discusses the poster specifically rather than the situation, I dunno what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

They were already there.

While there was obviously a few regulars that knew each other from posting in the same threads quite a bit, that OT thread has turned this forum into a very clique-y place.

Sure in a thread the other day someone referred to their cars name and just assumed everyone would know what he was talking about. While that's just one instance off the top of my head, I notice it in nearly every thread in Motors. And when I see that crap going on in a thread I feel that if I did post, My post would carry no weight because I'm not part of the gang. That's the reason I don't post in motors anymore. I've no doubt (as AltAccount said) that there's plenty more in the same boat as me.

I'm not having a go at anyone in the OT thread btw, just giving my reasons why I actively avoid posting in Motors

:confused:
    It's not rich at all. It's my opinion.

I'm entitled to mine also.

And that's where I'll leave it.

I'm entitled to mine also.

And that's where I'll leave it.

But I've posted my opinion with explanations. You've just spouted some conspiracy about "others" and that it's "rich"

Odd.

My post would carry no weight because I'm not part of the gang.
    I've often posted in their and been actively ignored by a certain clique. I just move on.

can we keep the user v user crap out of it please. that gets threads closed. Please lets not drag Motors rivalry onto feedback please.

But I've posted my opinion with explanations. You've just spouted some conspiracy about "others" and that it's "rich"
    I'm not going to name people.

You posted a thread where you complained about cliques, I see no identification or evidence of them in that thread or any backup of where you think they are in this thread.

Can you please provide evidence of them.

You seem to think you already have

...odd

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    can we keep the user v user crap out of it please. that gets threads closed. Please lets not drag Motors rivalry onto feedback please.

I just tried to end it but Mugs seems determined to prove me wrong with evidence that he actually hasn't provided in two threads it would seem.

I'm not going to name people.

You posted a thread where you complained about cliques, I see no identification or evidence of them in that thread or any backup of where you think they are in this thread.

Can you please provide evidence of them.

You seem to think you already have

...odd
    LoLth wrote: »

There's your answer.

My complaint was that the thread had turned into a creche and that most posters in it were lowering the tone of the forum. I won't name specifics as that would be unfair.

You appear to have an axe to grind here. I won't be your grinding block.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

This sure is shining a great light on motors guys...

You appear to have an axe to grind here. I won't be your grinding block.
    No. Come on now Mugs. I gave you a way out and you came back and asked me for evidence. As you spouted off first where is yours.

I'll even let you take it to PMs so you don't have to post it in public.

Or would you like to take up my original offer of parking it above......

166man wrote: »
    Can someone define this cliquey thing to me? Is it because a few posters get on well together that people don't post anymore?

I'm kind of lost here...
    It seems to be a bit of that and a bit of ganging up on certain posters. Sure you and Johnboy have your own little clique going :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

I glad to see 166man posting. I thought dispute resoluting thread say you were banned 166man. Glad your appeal was a success. but it seems some get banned and they banned others banned and they not banned.

I remember now name of other poster not seen in long time, e39msport :)
    Big loss to forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I definitely don't see any cliques gathering, we're all friends surely.

There is the Bmw against the rest and Alfa against the rest battles but it's all harmless fanboy messing.
    Never seen anything serious going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

YbFocus wrote: »
    I definitely don't see any cliques gathering, we're all friends surely.

There is the Bmw against the rest and Alfa against the rest battles but it's all harmless fanboy messing.
    Never seen anything serious going on!

its more like everyone against the alfa now in fairness...:pac:

No. Come on now Mugs. I gave you a way out and you came back and asked me for evidence. As you spouted off first where is yours.

I'll even let you take it to PMs so you don't have to post it in public.

Or would you like to take up my original offer of parking it above......

I'm not getting into user v user. The entire thread is a waste of effort with the exception of some "on topic" chat that is. It's damaged the forum overall. It's all well documented in my previous thread in feedback. I'd rather not Pm you thanks :)

• Advertisement

mod hat on
    ba_barabus. Please do not post in this thread any more.

I have asked you to drop the user attack politely. now I'm telling you as a mod.

if you have an issue with this, please feel free to PM me.

/mod hat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement