Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors forum at a loss due to bans handed down to regulars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Well the only one getting it lately is Maxpower1E60535DClevelandHotPocket :D

I think the motors forum is a great place and massively social. There is a clique if you want but it's a clique of all the regulars there.
    But when someone turns up they don't get dissed etc.

When I started posting I was asked what I drive etc and a big chat got going and never looked back, was at my first meet on Sunday and loved it.

There was a real love/hate thing going on for my manual e60 though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I dunno if it's a shortage of mods, laziness, or simple incompetence, but I've always considered Motors one if the worst-managed forums on Boards.

The same tedious topics crop up over and over again - foglights, "road" tax, SORN, "fast" lane, tax cost, clamping, etc - with the same discussions and the same tired old arguments, usually by the same people, and absolutely no attempt is made to merge threads or posts into previous discussions, or simply bin them for having been discussed to death already.

The thread last week with the misspelling in the title made me wonder if there was anyone at the wheel at all. One of the busiest threads of the week, cropping up in my feed on every visit, and no-one could be bothered their arse to take 5 seconds to double-click on the thread title and edit one word. That's just plain lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

To be fair, the mods have a lot on their plate regards motors

the chat thread itself is piece of work with how busy it is, constantly going and trying to mod it.

then the forum itself requires more mod attention, a thread title misspelling shouldn't be a mod concern either. Thats the OPs problem and he can adjust it,

mods are to keep things civil and not let things get out of hands. not to spell check your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

166man wrote: »
    ---

Thanks, but I'm still banned from the motors forum for the foreseeable future.

Didn't realise you remembered E39Msport, was he around during your time, he's been gone a long time.
    ====t.

i register year ago, I read long time before. I not realise it so easy to sign up.

Why you not siteban now?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

166man, you're banned from Motors, which means - per Feedback rules - you don't get to post on this thread. Please don't post here again.

Anyone else who's thinking about posting a personal attack/dig/jibe aimed at another poster: don't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

To be fair, the mods have a lot on their plate regards motors.

It's of their own creation. If they moderated the repetition, the forum would be a lot tidier straight away. And less argumentative to boot. Half the suspensions and bans are caused by the tosh topics mentioned in my previous post.

Like I said, it takes 5 seconds to correct a thread title. Literally. Not doing it just demonstrates a lack of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd love to see the Motors forum without the chat thread for a month. So many gems are lost in that high-volume place, gems that deserve their own thread (or none at all). It's something that's been done before here in Feedback though.

Sure it's sad to see some regulars getting the chop; sadder still when it's a personality clash between a mod team and individual but one thing can't be denied; you get lots of chances to get your ducks in a row before a permaban comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

rovoagho wrote: »
    It's of their own creation. If they moderated the repetition, the forum would be a lot tidier straight away. And less argumentative to boot. Half the suspensions and bans are caused by the tosh topics mentioned in my previous post.

Like I said, it takes 5 seconds to correct a thread title. Literally. Not doing it just demonstrates a lack of interest.

So someone starts a road tax thread and mods should delete it saying that's been done before? Same with clamping threads, fast lane threads, etc?

You have to be taking the pi$$ now! :eek:

I agree with Nasty,

Any forum has reoccuring threads that are asked by different people needing advice. Tax and clamping etc are what happens to individuals on a daily occurence and they seek advice from within the motoring forum.

Look at any forum and they have reoccuring threads on the hottest subjects, it's only natural that people will ask the most common questions the most.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In the Cycling forum we have dealt with the major recurring topics by starting megathreads on them (helmets, the Bike to Work scheme and stolen bikes being examples). Anyone starting a new thread gets it merged into the megathread. In the case of the Bike to Work Scheme, which is a "technical" topic, we have set out all the relevant rules in the first few posts

We then link to these threads from our FAQ section, along with other long running topics (such as lighting, the Cycling video megathread). Basically anyone who is sick of those topics can stay out of the thread - there are still plenty of posters that will help out those with genuine questions on the topics

I think Motors has a number threads linked via the FAQ's and others in stickies but perhaps posters need a bit more steer on a smaller number of topics with proactive merging/redirecting - that way posters generally get the message after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Scortho wrote: »
    That isnt really the issue though.
    It's the loss of so called trouble makers who get banned for their posts in the motors forum.
    The forum is now at a loss as a result of the loss of some great posters. Its meant to be a community, not just full of yes men.

It is still a community, but one that is losing the regular members left right and center.

Also, this forum is one of the least clique ish forums that I've ever been part of

Sure there's a bit of banter between the regulars, (I'm getting the brunt of it - but what could a diesel fanboy expect :D), but new posters are welcomed all the time. Of course if you have the same posters in the same place talking on similar topics and going to meets etc there are going to be in jokes and people knowing what cars each other drive etc. But sure at every meet there have been new people and some have posted more since and joined in the "clique". By definition a clique is a closed society, and the motors forum is not, and has never been, that.

Beasty wrote: »
    In the Cycling forum we have dealt with the major recurring topics by starting megathreads on them (helmets, the Bike to Work scheme and stolen bikes being examples). Anyone starting a new thread gets it merged into the megathread. In the case of the Bike to Work Scheme, which is a "technical" topic, we have set out all the relevant rules in the first few posts

We then link to these threads from our FAQ section, along with other long running topics (such as lighting, the Cycling video megathread). Basically anyone who is sick of those topics can stay out of the thread - there are still plenty of posters that will help out those with genuine questions on the topics

I think Motors has a number threads linked via the FAQ's and others in stickies but perhaps posters need a bit more steer on a smaller number of topics with proactive merging/redirecting - that way posters generally get the message after a while

Lets leave the cycling forum out of this :D (especially seeing as I am permabanned from there :D)

Seriously though, I think without the chat thread, it will be difficult in motors. People are told "there's a thread on **issue** already" when they start new threads, people are told "dont drag up old threads" even when it is a few weeks old. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

People are told "there's a thread on **issue** already" when they start new threads, people are told "dont drag up old threads" even when it is a few weeks old. Which is it?

I think you'll find that's a problem on more than just the motors forum.

There's a thread on **issue** already: usually when there is actually another, current thread on an issue or one that is still relevant. sometimes we get posters signing up just to ask a question, in a new thread, because their google search turned up a thread discussing their exact question when they typed it in. Other times we get posters who don't like the thought of their question being one among many and so they start a new thread to put the focus on their post and their particular issue. Then of course you get the troll who starts ten threads on the same soapbox topic with slightly different wording.

Don't drag up old threads: if there's a relevant update to the discussion, then fine post in an old thread. A general guideline, if its over a year since the last post, its a dead thread and any new poster joining wont be updating the discussion, they'd be continuing it. new thread time. Then of course you get the poster that posts "any update on this?" or "me too!" on a three year old thread.

it is a tough balance to manage and maintain but maybe something we should make clearer on boards overall? Thing is, you don't want to tie it down too much. you want to allow some leeway but if you make an allowance for one, then it will be cited as a reason for another to evade banning/carding for trolling.

rovoagho wrote: »

are you talking about the mod that doesn't correct the spelling of a user or the user who will spend 10 minutes crafting their incredibly important post but neglect the 5 seconds it would take to spell check?

Personally , I'd put correcting someone's thread title quite far down the "to-do" list of modding.

LoLth wrote: »
    are you talking about the mod that doesn't correct the spelling of a user or the user who will spend 10 minutes crafting their incredibly important post but neglect the 5 seconds it would take to spell check?

Personally , I'd put correcting someone's thread title quite far down the "to-do" list of modding.

So far down it is non existent, imo.
    That is not a mod's job!

but to be fair, it is something a mod does every now and then. I've lost count of the number of PMs I've received with "can you edit...." . It usually gets done, eventually :)

I certainly wouldnt expect a mod to correct a mispelling if the owner of a post didnt request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's the other side of that story that if someone's spelling/English is sub-par, I don't want to be following them and correcting it. Sure, I'd expect at least an effort, but it seems somewhat imposing to just barge in and correct it. Indeed it could be taken in a hostile or patronising fashion if it becomes a theme. It would be down to individual circumstances, but certainly it's not right to say that because it's there the mod should step in and do something about it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

But sure at every meet there have been new people and some have posted more since and joined in the "clique". By definition a clique is a closed society, and the motors forum is not, and has never been, that.

"New members welcome. Come along to your hazing at the Midway on Saturday!"

No thanks. I don't drive a BMW 535d and do over 50k miles p/a. I couldn't possibly be in your gang.

The forum is not open to new members at the moment because the "regulars" are an intimidating presence. I post very rarely in the forum, although I would love to post more. One of my only posts in the forum was shot down by a regular whose post got plenty of thanks from other regulars. I've been around this site long enough to recognise a closed shop and as it stands, that's what the Motors forum is at the moment.

The mentality that it is the regulars that make a forum work is a falsism on this site.

"New members welcome. Come along to your hazing at the Midway on Saturday!"

No thanks. I don't drive a BMW 535d and do over 50k miles p/a. I couldn't possibly be in your gang.

The forum is not open to new members at the moment because the "regulars" are an intimidating presence. I post very rarely in the forum, although I would love to post more. One of my only posts in the forum was shot down by a regular whose post got plenty of thanks from other regulars. I've been around this site long enough to recognise a closed shop and as it stands, that's what the Motors forum is at the moment.

The mentality that it is the regulars that make a forum work is a falsism on this site.

Now, with no offense meant, that is BS
    The amount of slagging I get FOR driving that car is ridiculous. BTW when I started posting in motors I had a golf TDI with a fake GT badge on the back.

Also, there are plenty of new members at each meet. I know for a fact of two people who went to the last meet as their first. I'm sure there were many more newbies who were welcomed openly.

Your post is just out and out lies, and I would thank you to retract it or correct yourself

The above is not true of motors, many have very ordinary cars, and even a 535d isn't a magic machine.
    The last meet had plenty of ordinary cars there, my own included.
    When I joined it was a long time before anyone knew what I drove and it didn't make any difference to anybody when they found out.

You must not have a sense of humour because anyone that gets the odd joke against them should know it's totally a joke. no less poor Cleveland above :)

I will never doubt that 535 anymore :)

• Advertisement

One of my only posts in the forum was shot down by a regular whose post got plenty of thanks from other regulars. I've been around this site long enough to recognise a closed shop and as it stands, that's what the Motors forum is at the moment.

I also cannot find any post by you that corelates with the above. You have made 14 posts in the motors forum, none of which were shot down.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The issue is that you're looking at the forum from inside of the clique. You have a perception bias that effectively means no matter what anyone says to you, you will not be able to see the problem from an outsider's point of view.

From an outsider's point of view, the forum is unwelcoming. It doesn't really matter whether you agree with that or not. Shouting "lies" at someone for pointing it out to you doesn't help your defence.

Saying, "I get a slagging for that" just bolsters what I've said. It has the appearance of an exclusive club for a group of mates. That is not what a public forum about motors should be.

The issue is that you're looking at the forum from inside of the clique. You have a perception bias that effectively means no matter what anyone says to you, you will not be able to see the problem from an outsider's point of view.

From an outsider's point of view, the forum is unwelcoming. It doesn't really matter whether you agree with that or not. Shouting "lies" at someone for pointing it out to you doesn't help your defence.

Saying, "I get a slagging for that" just bolsters what I've said. It has the appearance of an exclusive club for a group of mates. That is not what a public forum about motors should be.

How did I manage to infiltrate the clique so? I have only been active in the motors forum for the past 6-8 months

Well I'm one of the newer members to start into motors and never met any trouble, neither did any others I know of that have started recently like myself.

Maybe it feels like that because we are a close knit group but we are very accepting of others.

Some of the people who thanked that post earlier have very little posts in motors, those that they have show no signs of hatred or abuse towards them.

YbFocus wrote: »
    Well I'm one of the newer members to start into motors and never met any trouble, neither did any others I know of that have started recently like myself.

Maybe it feels like that because we are a close knit group but we are very accepting of others.

Some of the people who thanked that post earlier have very little posts in motors, those that they have show no signs of hatred or abuse towards them.

As a new poster I went to a meet and was welcomed with open arms (figuratively) by "the guys from the internet"

I don't know where this oppressive clique thing has come from, it was what I remarked on leaving the glendalough meet (my first motors meet) was how welcoming everyone was :confused:

Perhaps this thread should be reserved for people who actually post in motors.

As a new poster I went to a meet and was welcomed with open arms (figuratively) by "the guys from the internet"

I don't know where this oppressive clique thing has come from, it was what I remarked on leaving the glendalough meet (my first motors meet) was how welcoming everyone was :confused:

I also want to mention how nice everyone was to me at my first meet last Sunday. Couldn't have been a nicer bunch of guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Your post is just out and out lies, and I would thank you to retract it or correct yourself

Actually, he's hit the nail on the head. I'm not just talking about Motors, it's every forum. Very, very few of our very active forums here escape this. A tight knit group is a very intimidating thing to try and get in with and join and that's no one's fault or anything, there's no intention on anyone's part to make any group seem like some sort of imposing entity, but it's just the way humans work.

How did I manage to infiltrate the clique so? I have only been active in the motors forum for the past 6-8 months
    Now, that's not quite true.
    You've been posting there for almost 4 years. Is that how long the hazing lasts now?

You mean the members of your clique, right? That's all you could possibly mean by this statement. As you have pointed out, I have posts in the Motors forum but now you're saying that...what...I don't post regularly enough to be able to give an opinion? Not a clique...not a clique...not a clique...

But what I just said is I recently joined and found them to be very welcoming, others have joined recently (I await their opinion on things too).
    You don't have to drive a flash car, know everything about them etc. it's just a group of motoring enthusiasts that cause no harm to anyone! We're a nice bunch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

But what I just said is I recently joined and found them to be very welcoming, others have joined recently (I await their opinion on things too).
    You don't have to drive a flash car, know everything about them etc. it's just a group of motoring enthusiasts that cause no harm to anyone! We're a nice bunch!

To expand on my earlier point, what you're saying here is also true for most of the site when someone new does get over that initial hurdle of social awkwardness and just joins in. So for all the supposed "cliqueness" of some groups, they usually more than happy to welcome new members into the fold, but have never realised that they were creating a barrier (real or imaginary) by virture of the strength of the bond of their group.

Not everyone does well with social situations and online interaction is a social situation. People are shy and hesitant to try and join in more often than they aren't, but when they do, as you've said YbFocus, the group are usually a really good and friendly bunch of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement