Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors forum at a loss due to bans handed down to regulars

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Big Nasty wrote: »

Some posters, to include a few good and knowledgeable posters, either close their accounts or stop posting. That can be unfortunate....

The motor forum and the wider boards community should be asking why good posters close their account, not shrugging their shoulders and moving on.

Lastly, Motors seems to appear to not-so-regular users as cliquish. I would agree, however it's the same on any major forum....

I don't get this argument, every other forum does it so it's grand? I remember some a-hole blocking me in while I was legitimately parked (at a sporting event). His response was, "everyone else is parking like that". Now that may have been true, but the place was a mess and many more were blocked. You wouldn't accept this argument from a child.
    Most posters on the Motors forum are very helpful, ok we've got the odd 'devils advocate' aka sh1t-stirrer...

This is true, but it means I am a big lurker on the motors forum and I rarely contribute.

One last thing - live and let live. If a thread doesn't interest you, don't contribute to it. If some of the chat in a thread doesn't appeal to you, keep scrolling.

That's all well and good but as others have pointed out, these mega chat threads can suck the life from the rest of the forum....resulting in a lot of people doing as you suggest....keep scrolling...no contribution.
    There's a fair few people that seem to be more interested in getting their own way here as opposed to thinking of the community as a whole.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread putting forward a post that in their opinion isn't for the betterment of the forum. If you don't think so, then your last statement can equally be applied to yourself if that's they way you view opposing viewpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

On the thread itself,

i think it would be a shame to see it go as people have gotten to know each other a lot better, but its quite "messy".

Its making extra work for mods to try moderate an on / off topic general chat thread.

the fact its made a thread in feedback is also quite bad, for this much arguing for both sides shows that it might be more work than its worth for a select few people to have a chat.

If the thread itself was anymore moderated then i'd imagine we'd see quite a few more warnings/bans.

now in saying that i do like the thread itself as an idea but looking at facts and seeing how its turning out having to be closed down a few times and making extra work for mods and now Admins to decide on it says quite a lot.

its not looking too bright and it seems to be the same people with the same muppetry.

I like it but im against it on those reasons. Unless it were to be moderated more strictly but that shouldn't have to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

keith16 wrote: »
    The motor forum and the wider boards community should be asking why good posters close their account, not shrugging their shoulders and moving on.

There are various reasons for this. Maybe they've revealed to much about themselves and want to start again anonymously, maybe they're sick of their username, maybe they were being bullied, maybe they're trying to circumvent a ban. One can only guess.
    I don't get this argument, every other forum does it so it's grand? I remember some a-hole blocking me in while I was legitimately parked (at a sporting event). His response was, "everyone else is parking like that". Now that may have been true, but the place was a mess and many more were blocked. You wouldn't accept this argument from a child.

I'm not saying it's grand - I'm saying it's not solely a motors problem so probably needs to be looked at by the Admins, not forum mods
    This is true, but it means I am a big lurker on the motors forum and I rarely contribute.

Because there are some sh1t-stirrers? There are sh1t-stirrers on every forum. Probably less on motors than elsewhere. Again, I'm not saying it's ok but with the extent, or lack thereof on Motors, it's hardly a reason to only lurk. Are there any other forums you decline to posts in due to sh1t-stirrers or do you really think Motors is that bad?
    That's all well and good but as others have pointed out, these mega chat threads can suck the life from the rest of the forum....resulting in a lot of people doing as you suggest....keep scrolling...no contribution.

Like any other thread or forum, if it doesn't interest you move on and leave it to those who do.
    I haven't seen anyone on this thread putting forward a post that in their opinion isn't for the betterment of the forum. If you don't think so, then your last statement can equally be applied to yourself if that's they way you view opposing viewpoints.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

YbFocus wrote: »
    I would hate to see it close, again as it's a hugely social place, even this evening if you read through. People talking about what cars they saw,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362586
    accidents they saw today,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86812488
    or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87034170 (bit of a stretch)
    what they're up to this evening,

Fair topic for an off-topic chat thread.
    things to be done with the cars.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991213

How can you say it doesn't suck life from the rest of the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's a good few reasons, most of which Boards can't probably address whatsoever. People posting too much personal information over time for their liking, people just not comfortable with views posted associated with their user name, posters choosing to close their account in a fit of pique, people who have a problem with the rules of the site that can't really be addressed, feeling bullied, loads of reasons as I say.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

AltAccount wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362586
    That's a picture thread not relevant to mentioning a couple of cars one spotted today. Whole post was 3 lines long with no pics.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86812488
    or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87034170 (bit of a stretch)

On accidents someone saw you gave me these two random accident threads? So we're supposed to pick a random thread involving an accident and just start posting there.
    Regardless it was a passing comment on a did anyone see it kind of thing.

Fair topic for an off-topic chat thread.

Correct.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991213
    We were taking to one guy about what he must do with his car to prevent damage being done to his engine, not relevant at all to what I done with my car today that's why I didn't post it there.

How can you say it doesn't suck life from the rest of the forum?

I can see why you think so, because you have no idea on the posts your talking about and need to go have a good look before linking to me where I should be putting stuff. Not one of these links made sense for what was posted today and I can't understand how you made these judgements without reading the posts.

Please retain from dragging me back here, I know how to use the forum and I know where any given post should go.
    I said I was finished he and it was up to the mods from here on[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Because there are some sh1t-stirrers? There are sh1t-stirrers on every forum. Probably less on motors than elsewhere. Again, I'm not saying it's ok but with the extent, or lack thereof on Motors, it's hardly a reason to only lurk. Are there any other forums you decline to posts in due to sh1t-stirrers or do you really think Motors is that bad?

There are **** stirrers on every forum yes but when you combine it with a forum with a large clique its a recipe for a hostile environment. Countless times we have seen it in boards history where a select few users became too big for their own boots and a forum had to get in line.

People probably should be a bit more thick skinned but there probably is a point that you address the **** stirring for the overall sake of the forum. As has already been said on this thread, people post in different manner and not everyone is open to posting in what they perceive as a hostile environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I can see why you think so, because you have no idea on the posts your talking about and need to go have a good look before linking to me where I should be putting stuff. Not one of these links made sense for what was posted today and I can't understand how you made these judgements without reading the posts.

I only went on the information you gave me. The point was not like-for-like posting, just that the thread can/could detract from the traffic in the rest of the forum.

I don't want to read the thread, I can't follow that volume of posts.

All I know is that the forum that I used to love lurking in for years is now different and less interesting, and I believe it's because the interesting discussion is hiding in the mish-mash of conversations taking part in the chat thread.

At least the old way, if I wanted to know if anyone spotted a cool car, but didn't care what someone was doing with their own average car, I could read the thread that interested me and ignore the thread that didn't.

With the chat thread, you have it all or nothing. I don't think an off-topic chat thread works unless you work hard to make sure it doesn't overlap much with what's going on in the rest of the forum. That's not what's happening here.

It's just one man's opinion, and it won't be listened to because people have made the argument for and against the thread and it is what it is, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to express an opinion on it.

Please retain from dragging me back here, I know how to use the forum and I know where any given post should go.
    I said I was finished he and it was up to the mods from here on

Just click "unfollow" then. I'm addressing a point made, and others can take me up on it if I'm wrong. Participate or sign off, I don't mind. I'm not dragging you personally back in.

Calhoun wrote: »
    There are **** stirrers on every forum yes but when you combine it with a forum with a large clique its a recipe for a hostile environment. Countless times we have seen it in boards history where a select few users became too big for their own boots and a forum had to get in line.

People probably should be a bit more thick skinned but there probably is a point that you address the **** stirring for the overall sake of the forum. As has already been said on this thread, people post in different manner and not everyone is open to posting in what they perceive as a hostile environment.

You make it sound like AH! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I didn't mean the motor forum directly i just talking in general how things build up before big changes happen and how perception from both sides fuel a negative view on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Difference is AH has dozens of cliques which after modding the place, I'm not even sure even the cliques know they are cliques. If they did, the first thing they'd do is fall out with each other.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I used to be a fairly prolific Motors poster, made friends on it, still chat with a lot of them, and used to love the general vibe of it.

Now, I've very little idea what goes on on Motors, partly my own fault for not being as active, but mostly because the chat thread has taken over.

I'm in favour of getting rid. There was no chat thread in 'my day' and I still felt it was a great community!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

After hours is a war zone, you totally can not compare that to the motors forum.

As a regular of the last 5 years or so, it's totally cliquey, and the deeper you get the more apparent it becomes.
    In the last year or so it's gotten worse (for lack of a better word, it's still my favorite forum) the lines are very clearly drawn but for the most part any "trouble" is just taking the piss and the cliques do get on and entwine, this goes double at meets or at leasts the ones I've been to.

I may get shot down for this as 16man is a good friend of mine but I have to be true to what I believe in. I don't agree with a vote back system for banned members, when you look at it, regulars are really given a lot of rope and a tonne of second chances, far more than you'll see on most other forums. People see mods on boards as vicious overlords, sometimes this is true but the say majority, and especially motors, they are very fair and they make the best of the bad situations.
    Don't forget, being a mod is a thankless, vile teeters job, I someone's causing trouble for them, wasting their time I can see no wrong in closing the door after the 10th chance.
    As much as I'd like 166man back, I can just see him getting banned again within a few weeks, I could even predict go he'd get into arguments with. Sorry. :p
    Anyway, that's all up to the mods.

As far as the chat thread goes, get rid of that and people will start clogging up specific threads by chatting, as has happened before. It's a tough one to mod but at least it keeps it all in the one place.
    When I was a regular Tattooes and Piercings there was a "cooling off" mentality with 24 hour bans, it may be a good way to keep control of the chat thread, less give and cooling off time for some of out more excitable friends. :)

This thread is crazy, I think I've been insulted before I even posted in it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sounds like Motors is heading the same way C&T has gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sounds like Motors is heading the same way C&T has gone...

?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

C+T?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sorry
    Commuting and Transport, it's died a death in the last year or so because of long term users being banned and over the top modding

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So not Comp and Tech then. I was gonna say.

sorry
    Commuting and Transport, it's died a death in the last year or so because of long term users being banned and over the top modding

Less of the hysterics - it's far from heading that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

sorry

way to crowbar your issue with another forum into a thread about motors.

and with that, I think this feedback thread has run its course. The summing up posts were particularly useful, its good to see if people's opinion has changed as a result of an on thread discussion.

Closing thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement