Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning the fiddle as an adult

Options
  • 16-10-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi There
    Started teaching myself the fiddle. I only have it 5 days and have practiced over hour each day. (I played a wind instrument before so can read music and I m learning from a book). However my fingers are very sore. Im just wondering when should they start to toughen up a bit. Also I get the jist of it but im not getting a nice sound from the fiddle. (Other people I know that play can get a beautiful sound from it so its not the fiddle). I can play the scales already and two or three easy tunes. Is this good for 5 days or where should I be at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Well done on teaching yourself to play the fiddle! I found it a very difficult instrument to play as you're trying to manage your playing fingers and your bow hand! So it takes ALOT of practice and patience to get that 'nice sound' you mention. It actually took me a couple of years to reach that point haha! But given that you are already musical and that you've learnt 3 tunes already I'm sure you'll fly through it!

My fingers were sore at the start too, you've mentioned that you play everyday - give your fingers a rest by not playing each day - maybe play every second day to allow your fingers to recover in the day in between.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Carlowgirl

thanks .. I don't know if I have the patience to wait a few years for a nice sound ha! When I say I can play three tunes there not perfect but parts of it sound normal... i might give the fingers a rest for the weekend and see .. i thought if i kept going it would stop some day! ... Thanks for your reply... How long did it take you to learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

I started lessons as a child. I was happy enough with myself maybe 2 years later and I'm 'great' now :p haha. I'm sure it won't take as long for you given you're musical already. I had no prior experience in playing instruments.

It just takes time to manage the bow hand and tuning and how to perfect ornamentations. That'll all come to you with practice. Its actually a great feeling when everything starts to flow and you don't sound scratchy / screechy!

It also depends on what sort of fiddle you have. My first one was a cheap chinese manufactured one which had a terrible sound **yes..easier to blame the fiddle ha

Advertisement