Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flux got an update

Options
  • 16-10-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

http://justgetflux.com/news/pages/bigupdate/
    Big new cool stuff

1. f.lux can go warmer than 3400K now, down to 2700K. Or even 1200K if you really want it to.
    2. Support for color profiles from a hardware calibrator
    3. Movie mode. This setting warms up your display, but it preserves shadow detail, skintones, and sky colors better than f.lux’s typical colors. It lasts 2½ hours, which lets you watch most feature films
    4. Disable until morning, for late-night crunch mode
    5. A new “darkroom” mode, which inverts colors and gets very red
    6. A map to help you find your location
    7. Hotkeys to dim your display (Alt-PgDn, Alt-PgUp) late at night, so desktop users can dim too
    8. A hotkey to disable/enable f.lux quickly: Alt-End
    9. If you have a laptop, f.lux gets warmer when your backlight dims, like an incandescent lamp
    10. A simple schedule for Philips Hue, so you can f.lux your house
    Some more fixes

1. Safe mode for playing video games without hiccups
    2. Bugs fixed with Intel chipsets
    3. Smoother animations and fading
    4. Better support for Windows 7 & 8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah that update startled me, but god do I love flux. It could be correlation or coincidence or something else but I haven't had any S.A.D. issues since I started using it 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just tried it there for the first time. Made my monitor go totally orange at night - way more than I was expecting. A bit off putting. I;ve turned it off for now. What's it really supposed to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Supposed to make BIE mods feel sleepy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zascar wrote: »
    I just tried it there for the first time. Made my monitor go totally orange at night - way more than I was expecting. A bit off putting. I;ve turned it off for now. What's it really supposed to do?
    changes the temperature of the monitor to more closely resemble artificial lighting in the evening.

The standard color temperature of your monitor has the niggly physiological effect of tricking your body into thinking its daylight and this can screw with your natural body rhythms which in turn can lead to all manner of knock-on effects like changes in appetite and even depression.

The reverse of this is they manufacture lights that have truer-to-natural temperature to trick your body into getting more "exposure" to natural light, as a means of treating seasonal affective disorders (SAD); you're supposed to run the lights in the mornings and evening during winter. Truth be told though the f.lux method is cheaper and, for me at least, worked just as well.

The program automatically shifts temperature at sunrise and sunset, based on the programmed lat and longitude. You can also change the transition from 20 seconds (default) to 60 minutes, which is satisfyingly gradual, to where I don't even notice the program is running anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

Zascar wrote: »
    http://justgetflux.com/research.html

No, don't turn it off. The settings are down at the bottom right of your screen in the taskbar, little circle icon with a yellow top and a black bottom. Go in there and adjust it till you're happy for daytime/nightime.

It's a little miracle is what it is. Not many programs would have you looking for a donate button. Their isin't one.:eek::eek::eek:

Ooh and stick in your location, it work better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Twilight

For your phone.

Advertisement