Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Council cut my trees

• 16-10-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi
    I was away for the day today and came home to find all of my trees at the front of my house cut. They have cut all of the branches and left them on the ground. Are they allowed to do this...they have left serious holes which now allow people to see right into my garden.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how do you know it was the council?
    were the trees overhanging or intruding on a public path?
    were they planted on ground you actually own?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rurz23

i know from a few neighbours telling me...the trees were overhanging but they were overhanging onto my grass at the front, around4 foot from the road. they are planted on my ground...my boundary officially goes into the middle of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Could it have been the ESB?

it could have been except that the wires were not done...only the ones 8 foot high or so. Also there was a council van seen on the small road where i live...but i have not any clarification of this, only people seeing them stopped and cutting on the road beside me and then being on our road.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

joewicklow wrote: »
    Could it have been the ESB?

ESB send a note into house offering to cut them for free and it is up to you to accept or refuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Contact your local County Council roads area engineer tomorrow. If it was the County Council you, as the landowner should have been issued with a Section 70(2) under the Roads Traffic Act 1993 and this notice would have instructed you to cut back any growth etc and also laid out a timeframe for you to do so. The County Council normally wouldn't undertake to cut back boundary ditches immediately unless it was a matter of Road Safety.

To me it sounds like a service company cutting back near overhead cables. Hope you get to the bottom of it

DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I'm sick to my eye-teeth of people leaving trees and branches uncut out over the public footpaths ready to hit and knock off glasses off people passing by.

Especially at night in shadowy areas badly lit by public lighting loose overhanging branches can be annoying and dangerous if people are forced to the edge of the footpath to avoid them.

doolox wrote: »
    I'm sick to my eye-teeth of people leaving trees and branches uncut out over the public footpaths ready to hit and knock off glasses off people passing by.

Especially at night in shadowy areas badly lit by public lighting loose overhanging branches can be annoying and dangerous if people are forced to the edge of the footpath to avoid them.

this is in the country mate...no footpaths!! this is on my own grounds and the furthest hanging tree is well over 4 foot from road..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

have you a photo please? how were the trees cut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

rurz23 wrote: »
    this is in the country mate...no footpaths!! this is on my own grounds and the furthest hanging tree is well over 4 foot from road..!!

Time to get litigious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement