Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad

Options
  • 16-10-2013 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I've been here about 3 weeks on a WHV. I had work coming over for October and maybe more. It turns out its just october and they're not keeping me on. Thats not the issue as I can probably get more work.

But, we have had some hot days and these hot days and its killing me. I drink loads of water. I suffer from migraines and the heat on these hot days and im fcuked. I do have tablets but its only stopping them and not preventing migraines. And sometimes I cant even hold down water.

Will summer be this hot every day? 34 and 37 were the hottest days i've had in 3 weeks.

Do I stick it out for longer in the hope I get used to it? Or go home. I have 2 weeks left with work so what do I do.

I did have a very nice holiday, a short working holiday. Im finding sydney is too big and busy. Its expensive.

Do I go home while I still have most of my savings left? Or stick it out?

Anywhere colder in australia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

I've been here about 3 weeks on a WHV. I had work coming over for October and maybe more. It turns out its just october and they're not keeping me on. Thats not the issue as I can probably get more work.

But, we have had some hot days and these hot days and its killing me. I drink loads of water. I suffer from migraines and the heat on these hot days and im fcuked. I do have tablets but its only stopping them and not preventing migraines. And sometimes I cant even hold down water.

Will summer be this hot every day? 34 and 37 were the hottest days i've had in 3 weeks.

Do I stick it out for longer in the hope I get used to it? Or go home. I have 2 weeks left with work so what do I do.

I did have a very nice holiday, a short working holiday. Im finding sydney is too big and busy. Its expensive.

Been a while since I was in Sydney, have been in perth a while now. Mid 30's sounds right for Sydney and NSW in general. Sorry.
    Stay away from Queensland and NT would be my advice as its humid as well as hot.
    Perth gets very hot, consistently over 40 December to feb but humidity is low. North WA where I work is high 40's in summer. Southern WA like Albany and esperance is coolish...30's.
    Best bet is probably Vic or ACT but really you won 't escape the heat fully as they can get bloody hot too. Most places seem to get little mini heat waves for a week or two and then drop a few degrees after for a while, might be Sydney is experiencing one?
    Somebody else on here might know of a nice coastal town with cool sea breezes etc... I'd move there myself.
    Water is key, 5 litres a day if you can and more if very active although you are struggling to keep it down which is a problem.
    You do get used to it a little bit but some people don't. Hard to tell, my partner dies in the heat and spends the summer hiding in dark rooms with aircon! Good luck, look after your health first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Go to tasmania and pick fruit till you can get something better ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Yeah, I'll second Tasmania. The climate will be cooler than anywhere else in Australia and also the cities won't be as big, Hobart would be the biggest with a little over 200,000 people vs the 4 million plus in Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If your only reason for wanting to go home is the heat, then yes...that's a bit mad.

Those hots days we had were compounded by the humidity which isn't always that bad. But 30+ is normal summer weather in Sydney and you will acclimatise.

Most places have air-con and fans are cheap in kmart/Coles.

However it kinda sounds like your just using the heat as an excuse. If your homesick and haven't shaken it after a month, it's probably not gonna go away. Australia isnt for everyone so maybe you should reconsider staying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Don't want to sound pessimistic but if you are struggling now with the heat, not sure how you will cope in the summer

Every Aussie I talk to seems to think we are in for an absolute scorcher this summer so if they (seems to be coming from everywhere - forecasters included) are to believed, then maybe look to somewhere like Tassie as has been mentioned

(I'm in Sydney too by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

What type of work do you do ? Is it indoors or outdoors? What you are describing sounds like sun stroke especially when you can not hold down water.
    Have you got badly burned on your head or backs of your legs recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Maybe don't drink ice cold water, that can make you get sick if your dehydrated. Drink Luke warm water instead and mix in a bit of staminate powder really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Stick it out in Oz, wear a hat in the sun. Move to a smaller city. Try Tasmania. Here in Melbourne it's 14c (feels like 11!) today.
    I assume the nausea is from migraine aura, do you know what triggers it? You could try avoiding them if at all possible.
    Get some rehydration formula and always have a sachet/tablets in your bag, pop this into your water bottle especially on the hot days.
    Sydney is not for everyone, so don't worry about that, there are plenty more places to live and work in OZ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You'll get used to it. I got here in Feb and could barely handle the 35-40 degree heat, but within a few weeks i was ok.

Now i've gone soft, and get cold if it's 15 degrees outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You'll get used to it, after a few years a twenty degree day feels chilly!

New Zealand would have a more comparable climate to Ireland, except lots more sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I'm just digging around the Australia forum for holiday tips...

however, I lived in Madrid for years which has burning hot days in the summer (40c+).

Water, shade and rest are you only friends in that sort of climate. 5 liters is a pretty good number for water, you should always be sipping water - not ice cold, but cool enough to be refreshing. If you get badly dehydrated...coke and salt and vinegar crisps. Saw it pretty much save someones life years ago near ayers rock.
    Stay in the shade as if your life depended on it. Us irish tend to have a "ohhh sun..have to enjoy it" mentality sometime. Stay in the shade...
    You also need to make sure you are getting enough rest in the evenings/nights. Do what ever you need to stay comfortable to get sleep. We found a fan with a bucket of ice in front of it ensured there was always cool air circulating (unless you're lucky enough to have AC).
    In your apartment/room - keep the blinds down for the whole day, and only open the window when the sun is off/it's getting dark. Airflow means nothing when the air is hot.

And sunscreen...remember sunscreen. Factor 30 at minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Thanks for all the tips. I'd love to stick it out here. I think the heat is definately bringing on the migraines. Had another today.

Trying to decide to move somewhere else in two weeks. Tasmania seems to be place. Or go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sure, you'll have cold weather and the pissing rain at home but will your job prospects be any better?

As was already asked, are you working outside? What is your exposure like to the sun? If you're outside, can you get a job indoors? I work in an office from 8 to 4 or 5 every day so don't see the sun. Can you not try for something similar (temping for example)?

Giving up like that after one bad experience in Sydney is a complete waste of the WHV imo, you only get one shot at it.

I am working inside. Im looking into going to Tasmania. It seems to be cooler. Im not sure how much cooler but google is showing up at 23 degrees in summer. Can that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I'd love to stick it out here. I think the heat is definately bringing on the migraines. Had another today.

amm... exactly what kinda work are you doing? It could be the work / bad posture / some other musculoskeletal problem. My partner used to get crazy migraines, mostly from a bad neck. Once that was corrected, the migraines [eventually] went away. just sayin'..

anyway, Adelaide normally is pretty good with the weather too. It pretty quiet here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Drinking ice cold water can actually make heat exhaustion occur faster. The water is too cold for the body, so the body heats up to warm the water up and causes further problems. It sounds like you haven't acclimatised or drinking enough. By the time you realise you are thirsty its too late, you are dehydrated.

Drink often is the key, even if not thirsty. Sometimes you can sweat and its evaporated before you even realise.

I regularly work outdoors as a surveyor in temps from mid 30's up to 53c last Dec/Jan. It's not comfortable at all. You do adjust to it though, you have to make sure you are aware of how to handle it.

Try loose fitting long sleeve/trouser clothing to prevent UV burns on the skin, wide brim hat, sunblock and water. At least 750ml-1L per hour in extreme heat.
    In the afternoons try adding a "squincher" to about 750ml of water. It replaces all the salts, electrolites etc that you've sweated out. They are flavoured but don't overdo them as they can dehydrate you if they aren't watered down enough. Don't go mad on them for a prolonged time either, they can cause kidney stones (rock and a hard place, right!).

Aircon also dehydrates you. It takes the moisture from the air. It could be a cause for migraines. Drink more water.

Tough it out a bit longer.

coke and salt and vinegar crisps. Saw it pretty much save someones life years ago near ayers rock.

Caffeinated drinks dehydrate. Salt also dehydrates. Maybe the person you saw had low blood sugars because coke and salt and vinegar crisps surely wont help dehydration. I've worked for over 2 years in rural QLD in the gas/mining industry, been sent on numerous heat stress courses, safety courses and you get constantly told NOT to have any extra salt intake and avoid caffeinated drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Here in Melbourne it was around 16 degrees today, we've had rare nice days in the high 20s but haven't hit 30 yet. However last summer it got hotter here than Sydney so it will get hot in the next few months

It was a tough week this week. Im not able for hostel living. This week I was sharing with 4 germans and they're a rotten breed of basterds. Hence, my thinking of home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

It was a tough week this week. Im not able for hostel living. This week I was sharing with 4 germans and they're a rotten breed of basterds. Hence, my thinking of home.

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What? 80 million Germans, and you have them summed up after sharing a room with 4 eejits in a hostel. FFS.....

I found the heat in Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane unbearable. Just WAY too heavy and hot. Perth was a little more tolerable.

If you want to stay in that part of the world, I thought NZ was perfect. Hot enough, but not too hot, cooled down at night. A bit like if Ireland got really good summers. Greener too, so it freshened up in the evenings.

4 distinct seasons is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sounds to me like you're just looking for excuses to go home tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

pete4130 wrote: »
    I regularly work outdoors as a surveyor in temps from mid 30's up to 53c last Dec/Jan. It's not comfortable at all. You do adjust to it though, you have to make sure you are aware of how to handle it.

Holy crap!!! The highest temp ever recorded in Aus is 50.7°C in SA back in the 60s. What country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Holy crap!!! The highest temp ever recorded in Aus is 50.7°C in SA back in the 60s. What country are you in?

weather records => In the shade, under weather collecting/observation conditions.

Standing out in the blazing sun, on a 48 degree day, you could get up to that temperature

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/06/29/aging-weather-stations-contribute-to-high-temperature-records/

The recorded temp at the nearest town was 46c but inland in the bush with winds coming from the west (deserts) and being on a compacted clay surfaced construction site that absorbs the heat, reflects it and radiates it, the temperatures go above the recorded temps at weather stations. The temp on site was 53c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Cool, I never realised that. I just remember reading that max temp fact on a pack of skins before.

/off topic temp chat :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Just try it under a beer crate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloncurry,_Queensland

53.1 degrees.

Start eating vegemite, Drink at least 6 litres of water a day once you go over 30 degrees or so. Keep an eye on the colour of your pi$$.

If it's an overheating issue, get a little mist bottle from coles for about 2$. Keep if full of cool water, and just spray your face and arms every 5 or 10 minutes, works a treat.

It does take a while to acclimatise, I'm fairly sweaty by any standards, so 44 degrees in Far North QLD a few weeks ago was my worst nightmare, but its manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pete4130 wrote: »
    Caffeinated drinks dehydrate. Salt also dehydrates. Maybe the person you saw had low blood sugars because coke and salt and vinegar crisps surely wont help dehydration. I've worked for over 2 years in rural QLD in the gas/mining industry, been sent on numerous heat stress courses, safety courses and you get constantly told NOT to have any extra salt intake and avoid caffeinated drinks.

Caffeinated drinks don't dehydrate. It's a common misconception.
    Caffine is diuretic, which means it causes you to lose water, but this is more than offset my the water is contains, the net effect is still hydrating. The reason they say to avoid them is because they simply aren't are effective as water.
    Bottom line, if you are dying of thirst coke will save your life, not kill you quicker.

You mistaken about salt also. One of the issues with dehydration is the body losing electrolytes (salts). If a person is suffering from dehydration these need to be replaced, water alone can't do this.
    Excessive amounts salt on its own can speed up dehydration, but proper amounts when combined with water prevents and treats dehydration by replenishing water and electrolytes. Adding sugar to the mix allows it to be absorbed faster. That's why Sports/dehydration drinks like powerade/lucozade/hydralyte etc are basically water, sugar and salt. If you don't have any of those to hand, then coke and crisps will work - better yet water down the coke if you can.

If to need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

In short. Next time you are dehydrated don't down two pints of water as you will feel bloated. Neck two pints of beer and you will be fine :)

Advertisement