Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

danotroy wrote: »
    In short. Next time you are dehydrated don't down two pints of water as you will feel bloated. Neck two pints of beer and you will be fine :)

It will also help you handle those pesky Germans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

It was a tough week this week. Im not able for hostel living. This week I was sharing with 4 germans and they're a rotten breed of basterds. Hence, my thinking of home.

As the Aussies say.."toughen up princess". Why would you move to one of the hottest countries in the world at the beginning of summer if you don't like hot weather?? You should follow the advice from alot of the posters here who have experienced summers in Oz. I work in the northwest of Australia where a 30 degree day at this time of year can feel refreshing! On my week off I live down south where the average temperature at this time of year is about 15 degrees which means every time I go back to work I have to climatise to the hot and sweaty Pilbara weather. It takes time to get used to severe weather changes so try and stick it out a little longer. Is it going to be too cold if you go back home? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 woodey151

Just came from Tasmania it is much cooler there around 15 degrees at the moment. Was wearing jumpers all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

woodey151 wrote: »
    Just came from Tasmania it is much cooler there around 15 degrees at the moment. Was wearing jumpers all the time!

You have been in Oz way to long there Bro...

Jumpers at 15 Degrees. That's a summers day back in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Thanks for all the advice. Im still not sure what to do.

Someone asked why would I move to a hot country at the start of summer if I didnt like the hot weather.

I love the weather. Ireland is too cold and rainy. I will stick it out here for a few more weeks and see how I get on.

Im looking for more work again and Sydney seems like the place. Going south to Tasmania and ACT is very quiet. So il stick it out here. I wouldnt mind getting out of the CBD but its so close to public transport and you can get anywhere easily enough. I'll move as soon as I get work.

Im also a bit homesick. Didnt think it would happen.

I hate hostels, you have no space to yourself. But from what i've seen with flats you can be sharing a 3 or 4 bedrooms with 10 people. Would that be any better.

I think Christmas here will be weird.

There's also such a drinking culture here and I hate drink. There's no escaping drunk people.

I have a brother here and he hasnt helped at all. He hasnt picked up the phone in my 5 weeks here. He wasnt ringing home and making very little effort with us at home. I heard that he was ringing everyone else. And I mentioned just how hurtful it was and it seemed as if he was cutting us out. He fcuked me out of it and called me every name under the sun. He could never do anything wrong. 5 weeks here and nothing from him.

• Advertisement

Sorry for all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sorry for all that

No need for any apology.

I miss having my dog sleep with me.

You can never really stay in and have a lazy day here. Not with the sun outside. You have to be doing something.

Christmas will be weird here.

I've seen everything I wanted to in Sydney, well except the blue mountains because of the fires.

If I did go home, I could pick up a chear car to keep warm and dry. Or I could stay here a few more weeks/months and spend everything i've got.

Dont know. I'll give it until December and i'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Everyone gets home sick at some stage so your not alone.
    I hate hostels, you have no space to yourself. But from what i've seen with flats you can be sharing a 3 or 4 bedrooms with 10 people. Would that be any better.
    I think Christmas here will be weird.
    Christmas is weird here but everything here is weird if you compare it to home.
    There's also such a drinking culture here and I hate drink. There's no escaping drunk people.

If your in a hostel there is no escaping drunk people so move out.
    I have a brother here and he hasnt helped at all. He hasnt picked up the phone in my 5 weeks here. He wasnt ringing home and making very little effort with us at home. I heard that he was ringing everyone else. And I mentioned just how hurtful it was and it seemed as if he was cutting us out. He fcuked me out of it and called me every name under the sun. He could never do anything wrong. 5 weeks here and nothing from him.

Maybe your brother is trying to be independent of your family. After all he is half way around the world. I do not mean that he should ignore you but just cause he isn't ringing you and making sure your alright every second day does not mean he is the devil. I wouldn't want a sibling of mine coming here and questioning my motives for enjoying myself over here whilst not calling them to see if they were doing okay every couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Everyone gets home sick at some stage so your not alone.

[/QUOTE]I hate hostels, you have no space to yourself. But from what i've seen with flats you can be sharing a 3 or 4 bedrooms with 10 people. Would that be any better. [/QUOTE]
    Move out into a normal apartment. People generally don't live 4 to a bedroom in Australia, backpackers do.

[/QUOTE]I think Christmas here will be weird.[/QUOTE]
    Christmas is weird here but everything here is weird if you compare it to home.

[/QUOTE]There's also such a drinking culture here and I hate drink. There's no escaping drunk people.
    [/QUOTE]

If your in a hostel there is no escaping drunk people so move out.

[/QUOTE] I have a brother here and he hasnt helped at all. He hasnt picked up the phone in my 5 weeks here. He wasnt ringing home and making very little effort with us at home. I heard that he was ringing everyone else. And I mentioned just how hurtful it was and it seemed as if he was cutting us out. He fcuked me out of it and called me every name under the sun. He could never do anything wrong. 5 weeks here and nothing from him.[/QUOTE]

Maybe your brother is trying to be independent of your family. After all he is half way around the world. I do not mean that he should ignore you but just cause he isn't ringing you and making sure your alright every second day does not mean he is the devil. I wouldn't want a sibling of mine coming here and questioning my motives for enjoying myself over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If you don't like it and are homesick, then go home. Australia isn't the be all and end all.
    What about continental Europe?

Fair enough, you'll get a cold winter, but you'll get a good spring and summer. You won't get a whole lot of extreme heat or forest fires.

It could be a bit of a risk going to a non English speaking country. I did it years ago, went to Italy instead of Australia and it was a great decision. I've been to Australia and enjoyed it too, but it's not the be all and end all as some would have you believe. (especially Aussies!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Sorry to hear you are not getting on well out there and are feeling a little homesick. My advice is to get out of the hostel, you don’t seem happy there. I posted in a previous thread about a really cheap place I lived in the city. Own private room etc…. link: http://www.museumlodge.com.au/ you don’t need a bond either.

I worked here when I moved over: http://www.captaincook.com.au/ Give them a shout, they usually start hiring this time of year. If you have waitressing experience you will be laughing. I loved working there, yachting around Sydney harbour all day/night. It was a great job. I was on deck so it was even better than the catering guys, I met some great friends on those boats.

Stick with it until after Christmas, the key for you is to find some like-minded friends. It will change your whole outlook on the whole adventure.

Regarding the heat, I spent the Summers stepping in and out of walk in catering fridges and always had a stack of paper napkins handy to dry my back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Regarding the hostels, I was the same - well I didn't hate it but I was out every night and spending too much. Go on gumtree, look at short term options, usually no bond, it'll work out slightly more expensive than a hostel, but you'll get your own room, and kids won't be stealing your cornflakes. Should be plenty of places in the Inner West, nice areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Sound like you'd like Melbourne lately, weather has been much cooler than Sydney the last few months. I didn't find this last year. Though this will probably change during the summer.

I also don't think there's much of a drinking culture in Melbourne, unless you mean coffee! There may be such a culture in St Kilda, but the fact you're in a hostel is the major issue there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm based in Sydney and one of my flatmates is going home for a month, possibly 2 from Dec 11th. He's looking to sublet while he's away so if you're interested drop me a PM and I can send you pics, address etc.. Dates are a bit flexible too.
    It's a secure flat right by Redfern train station, so close to the city, Surry Hills, Newtown, CBD etc. Only 3 people live there in a 2 bedroom place (guy who's subletting and myself and partner sharing a room). No dealing with 2,3 or 4 people in room!
    I'm only there 1 week out of every 4 due to work so you'd effectively just be sharing with 1 person.

Do a traffic control course and get your construction white card to allow you to direct traffic. Weirdly, lots of Irish girls do this job in Australia? Sometimes the hours can be a bit tough with a nightshift but you get penalty rates of about $40/ph for it. Good money, easy work if a bit boring.

Advertisement