Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide Prevention Patrol

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I wish I could swim so I could get involved with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Saw them outside around Sin Bin at Christmas time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

You don't need to be able to swim guys. We don't enter the water.

Let me know if anyone needs any details on it.

Regards
    Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

this is really sad.I wish i knew what goes through their mind.

I dont think i could handle being a volunteer

I admire those who do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A tremendous service, one that is as deserving of admiration (and unfortunately as badly needed) as the search and rescue guys and gals.

• Advertisement

Guys and girls, for anyone (over the age of 25) interested in volunteering we are holding an information/recruitment night at the end of this month:

Our open night will take place on Tuesday October 29th at 19.30 in Clohessys Bar, Howley's Quay, Limerick.

We will give a quick briefing about the group before heading out on a quick patrol of the riverside to give you an idea about what we do. Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions on the night. Afterwards, we will return to Clohessys for tea/coffee and fill out relevant application forms etc.

We look forward to see you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Guys and girls, for anyone (over the age of 25) interested in volunteering we are holding an information/recruitment night at the end of this month:

Our open night will take place on Tuesday October 29th at 19.30 in Clohessys Bar, Howley's Quay, Limerick.

We will give a quick briefing about the group before heading out on a quick patrol of the riverside to give you an idea about what we do. Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions on the night. Afterwards, we will return to Clohessys for tea/coffee and fill out relevant application forms etc.

Can I email this to my work Sports & Social club?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

Gutted volunteers have to be over 25... Would really like to volunteer for this excellent service. I know there would be many reasons for those under 25 not being allowed to volunteer, perhaps even legal reasons. But maybe a personality test or an interview could allow those under 25 that would be appropriate to volunteer... Very admirable work you all do though, well done to you all.

Gutted volunteers have to be over 25... Would really like to volunteer for this excellent service. I know there would be many reasons for those under 25 not being allowed to volunteer, perhaps even legal reasons. But maybe a personality test or an interview could allow those under 25 that would be appropriate to volunteer... Very admirable work you all do though, well done to you all.

There are a few reasons but one of the major ones is insurance. It's one of the stipulations I'm afraid. But thanks for your interest regardless, it's great to know the support is there!! There will be loads of fundraisers that you can get involved with and help support throughout the future regardless of age :)
    phog wrote: »
    Can I email this to my work Sports & Social club?

Feel free Phog! Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

Cheers Ronan, and fair play to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

@ronan How much commitment is required? I would love to help but I have a few other bits and pieces on the go that require my time. How many hours at week ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Agent_99 wrote: »
    @ronan How much commitment is required? I would love to help but I have a few other bits and pieces on the go that require my time. How many hours at week ?

Would like to know same, it's a foot patrol around the bridges/riverside area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The number of suicides and attempted suicides is horrendous. Drowning is an awful way to die. God help those who find themselves feeling so desperate. I've have a lot of admiration and respect for those involved in the patrols.

Agent_99 wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »
    Would like to know same, it's a foot patrol around the bridges/riverside area?

Depending on staffing levels you would probably be doing one night a week. It's rarely more than that unless we have reason to be out more frequently e.g. the week of the leaving cert results we were out nearly every night.

A typical nights patrol is approx 4 hours. And yeah, that's foot patrol around the river & bridges.

At the end of the day we are all volunteers and understandably everyone has their commitments outside of the group. It means we appreciate everyone's time that little bit more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is it at different times? like in the dead of night or 11-3 or something, or is that decided between you

krudler wrote: »
    Is it at different times? like in the dead of night or 11-3 or something, or is that decided between you

Usually about 12-4am at weekends. Roughly 9-1 weekdays. These times can be adjusted depending on the night....e.g. Out later on nights with numerous incidents/higher risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

ronanc15 wrote: »

Just a reminder if anyone if interested. The Open Night is on tonight.

Advertisement