Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract coming to an end

Options
  • 16-10-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My contract is up at the end of the month and I have been with this company for 18months now. They hired new staff 6 months ago and there contract is also up on same date. The thing is the company have started to offer contracts to the newer staff and the staff (myself and about 10 others) have not been offered anything as of yet. The company does run on the idea of last in first out and I was wondering have I any rights when it comes to this or can the company simply let us go and keep the new staff. According to our contracts if we were in the company for 18months we would get a rise of €1 per hour. This may be the reason?

Any opinions would be very grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

As long as your contract makes reference to the fact that it is a fixed term contract for the purposes of the Unfair dismissals act 1977-1993and the act shall not apply to dismissal which is due to the expiry of the contract then there is little you can do. Your contract is ended, they are free to either offer you a new one or let you go. If they wish to offer contracts to other staff they are within their rights to do so, they have no obligation to offer a contract to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My opinion: you've got a good handle on the situation, good luck with the jobhunting.

Sorry ....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My opinion: you've got a good handle on the situation, good luck with the jobhunting.

Sorry ....

Thanks for your concern,

Got the news today got offered a 1 year contract with a raise ;) thank god!!

Advertisement