Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Safety Certs

Options
  • 16-10-2013 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Was chatting to my mate in the UK tonight. He was telling me he was in the middle of organising gas inspections and safety certs for his (rental) properties, and it got me thinking.

It's law that any gas appliances (cooker, fire, boiler) must be inspected annually by a Gas Safe engineer and a cert provided to the tenants proving they are safe, serviced and have been checked. Same with any electrical appliances provided in a furnished property. They too have to be checked and certified by a qualified and certified sparks. Are the same required here? AFAIK, the answer's no, but wanted to put the question out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Boilers- yes, as far as I know, appliances- nope.
    I just got my safety cert last weekend for here- along with service- the engineer replaced the sparking wire and did a few other bits and bobs. He inspected ventilation- did a CO test and took instrument readings both internally and externally. He inspected all ventilation ducts etc. Quite thorough. I pony up and get Bord Gais to do it- as they give you a 24 hour guarantee then- if something does go wrong they guarantee to rectify it within 24 hours, and only charge parts. If there is bad weather at all- its nice to have the knowledge that if the heating does break- you're not at the back of a long queue for an engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks for that. I did wonder, as I've never seen a gas cert for our rented house here. Boiler's been serviced though.

They're pretty strict about gas & electrical certs at home. If you don't have one, then the LL is liable for a huge fine (I think about £1k) and jail time if he doesn't pay. Is it the same here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

There is no legal requirement for a Gas or Electrical certificate. However, in the Housing Standards for rented Accommodation (2008 and as amended 2009) it states:
    13. Installations in the house for the supply of electricity and gas shall be maintained in good repair and safe working order with provision, where necessary, for the safe and effective removal of fumes to the external air.
    The only real proof of compliance of the items "being in a good and safe working order" would be to have the certificates.

Advertisement