Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny smell from gas boiler NOT GAS

• 16-10-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently there's been a strange stink and I think it's coming from our Vokera gas boiler. We noticed it a few months ago in the Summer and it went away, but today we noticed it and it was very strong. I originally thought it was damp, but there is no signs of damp and it doesn't really smell like damp.

It's not a "gas" smell. It's more like ashes from a fire or something.

It was so bad tonight that had to open the windows. I put on the rads as well in the hope that it might flush out the stink somehow. But the smell was quite overwhelming tonight and it can't be good for us.

We haven't had the radiators on since Feb/March, but we have had the boiler running for for hot water.

Has anyone had this problem before, or does anyone know what might be happening here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Best to get an RGI to have a look.
    It could be the fan or pump motor or capacitor.
    I had to replace a gas boiler located under a stairs a few weeks ago that caught fire & smoke damaged the whole house. So always best to air on the side of caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Do not use the boiler till it's checked out by RGII service eng.
    Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm ?
    If not get one please for your own safety + smoke alarms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, I got a guy out yesterday to check the boiler. He took some readings and took the boiler apart and found nothing wrong.

It ain't that so.

I hope it's not the electrics. :confused:

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, I got a guy out yesterday to check the boiler. He took some readings and took the boiler apart and found nothing wrong.

It ain't that so.

I hope it's not the electrics. :confused:
    I know sound strange but is it a smell like fish gone off ?
    Because a client of mine usto get a bad smell in the attic from time to time in the winter, we blamed everything from a dead mouse, sewer smell to the neighbours cooking !
    Out come was a faulty frost stat making a bab connection producing strange fishy smell.

One year later another client mentioned simular smell in back hall. Nowwhere near boiler or sewer. Loose wire found on light switch. When I said check electrics.

No "this sounds fishey" jokes pz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

scudo2 wrote: »
    Because a client of mine usto get a bad smell in the attic from time to time in the winter, we blamed everything from a dead mouse, sewer smell to the neighbours cooking !
    Out come was a faulty frost stat making a bab connection producing strange fishy smell.

One year later another client mentioned simular smell in back hall. Nowwhere near boiler or sewer. Loose wire found on light switch. When I said check electrics.

this sounds fishey" jokes pz.

this post is all over the PLAICE id say you only put it up for a COD :D

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »

No "this sounds fishey" jokes pz.

No, deffo not a fish smell. It smells like ashes from a fireplace, or soot.

It's the strangest thing. Very hard to describe.

No, deffo not a fish smell. It smells like ashes from a fireplace, or soot.

It's the strangest thing. Very hard to describe.

The smell I'm describing is a very fishey for want of better words. Best of luck with your one. Sorry I couldn't help. Though.

jimf wrote: »
    this post is all over the PLAICE id say you only put it up for a COD :D

Ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭kanji

Are you in a semi-d or terraced house?
    Is it possible the smell is from your neighbours house? When they light a fire or similar?

kanji wrote: »
    Is it possible the smell is from your neighbours house? When they light a fire or similar?

A cracked chimney will let in smells from an open fire or stove. It could be your neighbours fire at fault.

• Advertisement

kanji wrote: »

It's a terraced house. Yeh I was thinking of knocking next door, but I'm not sure what to say.

"Is your house mingin there lads?" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

It's a terraced house. Yeh I was thinking of knocking next door, but I'm not sure what to say.

"Is your house mingin there lads?" :pac:

ah sure why not theres nothing like the direct approach :D:D

let us know what hospital your in and we will send flowers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 williewarmer

Hi all,

there's been a strange stink and I think it's coming from our Vokera gas boiler. ?

its true. you bought a sh!t boiler. that gas is crap in your area

Advertisement