Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Turn the town Claret & Blue" campaign launched

Options
  • 16-10-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Great turnout of supporters at Hunky Dory park tonight. Launched campaign to turn Drogheda claret & blue with bunting flags and window displays in the town. Lots of media events and fun events counting down to the FAI Cup Final in the Aviva on 3rd November.
    Best news from the club is that tickets are now on sale and only €10.
    11,000 Drogs there last time in 2005, hoping for more this time around

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Hanlor wrote: »

How many did Drogheda bring to the recent league cup final? Should be a good indication of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Hanlor wrote: »
    Great turnout of supporters at Hunky Dory park tonight. Launched campaign to turn Drogheda claret & blue with bunting flags and window displays in the town. Lots of media events and fun events counting down to the FAI Cup Final in the Aviva on 3rd November.
    Best news from the club is that tickets are now on sale and only €10.

Hi Hanlor - where I can buy these tickets? Are the club selling them? Is there a phone number? tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

How many did Drogheda bring to the recent league cup final? Should be a good indication of support.

The FAI Cup is the blue riband cup tournament in LOI tbf.I hope Drogs can rally the support and bring a good support to Landsdowne.
    Also,its not Tallaght and ticket prices start @ just a tenner.

I'll be there myself but will be shouting for Sligo Rovers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ripster

All ticket information etc here https://www.facebook.com/DroghedaUnited?fref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Also, how many went to the home semi final? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

11,000???

ha ha ha! That will be 10,500 more than most home games then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Home attendance is a very poor indicator as to what an FAI cup final attendance will be. There will be thousands of event junkies going to Dublin for a day out in the best football stadium in the country.
    Already there are lots of people who haven't been to a game since the 2005 cup final confirming they are going. They will not really be supporting the team or the club, more so the town itself. That's why this #turnthetownclaretandblue campaign will hoover up thousands of non-supporters.

I'd estimate between 6 and 9 thousand Drogs will be there, probably the same for Sligo.

Dundalk fans can comment and sneer all they want at the Drogs poor attendances - this is the 7th final in the last 10 years and the 4th in just over a year, fairly impressive for a club with poor attendance and a dreadful ground.

If any silverware is to come to Louth this year it will have been won by Drogheda. Keep laughing at us - we feel your pain and can sympathise:D Personally I'd have liked to see Dundalk win the league, all rivalry aside, to keep us the good head of steam that provincial clubs have had in the last few years

PS - Should I mention the Newtown Blues ;)

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Home attendance is a very poor indicator as to what an FAI cup final attendance will be. There will be thousands of event junkies going to Dublin for a day out in the best football stadium in the country.
    Already there are lots of people who haven't been to a game since the 2005 cup final confirming they are going. They will not really be supporting the team or the club, more so the town itself. That's why this #turnthetownclaretandblue campaign will hoover up thousands of non-supporters.

I'd estimate between 6 and 9 thousand Drogs will be there, probably the same for Sligo.

Dundalk fans can comment and sneer all they want at the Drogs poor attendances - this is the 7th final in the last 10 years and the 4th in just over a year, fairly impressive for a club with poor attendance and a dreadful ground.

If any silverware is to come to Louth this year it will have been won by Drogheda. Keep laughing at us - we feel your pain and can sympathise:D Personally I'd have liked to see Dundalk win the league, all rivalry aside, to keep us the good head of steam that provincial clubs have had in the last few years

PS - Should I mention the Newtown Blues

WHO ?? NFL?

:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Peppa Pig wrote: »

PS - Should I mention the Newtown Blues ;)

No team from Dundalk is anywhere near challenging for a Joe Ward so dont know why you would bring up the Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's true, thought home support could have been bigger for the semi-final. I was there myself for it and everyone was comfortably able to stand inside under the roof while the weather wasn't great. But basing attendance on what was the second league cup final in 2 years, when they were beaten 7-1 by the same team in a final 4 months previously, at that team's home ground on both occasions, is too unrealistic.

Attendance will be far better at Landsdowne Road but I'd be worried based on what was a home derby semi-final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

All other attendance records for the season go out the window when it comes to the Fai cup final . We had a massive crowd at the last one but wouldnt expect as many this time . but you never know in this country , just look at the huge bandwagon dundalk have had this season considering one man and his dog supported them last season ..

jesus lads-would both sides give it a rest. Drogs are in a cup final and I, as a person who follows sport and is a Dad, am bringing my 6 year old to the cup final to cheer on the Drogs!

I'm not avid supporter of United (hardly ever go...) but he is wanting to go and support his hometown team. I'm sure I'm not the only Dad bringing his kid to their first football match on Sunday week.....and what a stadium/atmosphere to bring them into! If they get one little inkling to go out and kick a ball the following day - then thats what its all about! Get the kids into sport and provide a legacy for them to find enjoyment!
    Best of luck to the Drogs I say!

All other attendance records for the season go out the window when it comes to the Fai cup final . We had a massive crowd at the last one but wouldnt expect as many this time . but you never know in this country , just look at the huge bandwagon dundalk have had this season considering one man and his dog supported them last season ..

Drogs were fighting for the Leauge title for most of last season and also won a Leauge cup.Average home attendance was 977.

Dundalk were fighting relegation for most of last season and the fans were in dispute about how the board were running the club,hence a lot of regs stayed away until GM sold the club.Average attendance was 949.

So if Dundalk had one man and a dog supporting them last season then Drogs had had one man,a dog and a mouse supporting them.

Just wanted to point the facts out to you sir.Hope yee get a bandwagon to go.

.... just look at the huge bandwagon dundalk have had this season considering one man and his dog supported them last season ..

The irony being that Dundalk's average attendance in 2012 was 950, over 100 higher than Drogheda's average this year.

If Dundalk had one man and a dog watching them that season, what does that say from Drogheda this season? :pac:

Good luck to Drogheda getting a good support together. I genuinely hope you get at least 8,000. Anything less will be an embarrassement to Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The irony being that Dundalk's average attendance in 2012 was 950, over 100 higher than Drogheda's average this year.

If Dundalk had one man and a dog watching them that season, what does that say from Drogheda this season? :pac:

Good luck to Drogheda getting a good support together. I genuinely hope you get at least 8,000. Anything less will be an embarrassement to Louth.
    Why would it be embarrassing for Louth? Its not a county team, its a town team. It's only embarrassing for Drogheda, if nobody turns up.

Anyway back to the original point of the thread - there is a lot of the town claret and blue. Saw along the riverside, most of west street, Bridge of Peace, I believe Boyne tower is going claret and blue. Cross lanes and "BrennanLand" in the next day or so. For a club with such a poor support those who volunteered are doing a decent job.
    Apparently there is a plan to change the lighting on the MaryMcAleeseBoyneCableBridgeNameOnlyAcceptableToSome from purple to claret and blue. Good luck with that. :D

Really dont see the need for having a go be good for everyone to just get behind drogheda and 5000 or 10000 whatever turn up once they get behind Drogheda for 90mins thats all that matters. Not a points scoring contest.

Really dont see the need for having a go be good for everyone to just get behind drogheda and 5000 or 10000 whatever turn up once they get behind Drogheda for 90mins thats all that matters. Not a points scoring contest.

Ahh,you'd be wrong there.It keeps everything healthy here in Louth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

jesus lads-would both sides give it a rest. Drogs are in a cup final and I, as a person who follows sport and is a Dad, am bringing my 6 year old to the cup final to cheer on the Drogs!

I'm not avid supporter of United (hardly ever go...) but he is wanting to go and support his hometown team. I'm sure I'm not the only Dad bringing his kid to their first football match on Sunday week.....and what a stadium/atmosphere to bring them into! If they get one little inkling to go out and kick a ball the following day - then thats what its all about! Get the kids into sport and provide a legacy for them to find enjoyment!
    Best of luck to the Drogs I say!

Why not bring him along to support Drogheda every 2nd week then and get him into sport that way as well, it'll also help support your hometown team much more than bringing him once a season for a Cup final.

TopBombing wrote: »
    Why not bring him along to support Drogheda every 2nd week then and get him into sport that way as well, it'll also help support your hometown team much more than bringing him once a season for a Cup final.

yep-have to agree with you. that's the next plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Being of an older generation I wouldn't consider Drogheda one of Dundalk's big rivals. I don't think anybody can argue though that a strong Drogheda side is good for Dundalk and vice versa. Hopefully people in Drogheda stay with the team after the cup final although for some reason sport in Drogheda never seems to capture the imagination of the Drogheda public. And lads not having a go here just something I've never understood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I have ZERO interest in this game. The ball is the wrong shape for me. I do however, live in very close proximity to Oriel Park and generally go out for a run around match time. I've always been highly impressed with the volume of supporters that attend both sides frankly however have always noted a large volume of home supporters at most games played in Oriel. As such, I'd refute your "one man and his dog" statement.

Notwithstanding the above however and as a Dundalk resident, I wish Drogheda the very best in their upcoming game and furthermore hope that they get the support that they deserve. The Claret and Blue idea is a fantastic idea.

So kudos from your Louth neighbour :)

I was in Drogheda earlier in the week and the "Turn the town Claret & Blue" campaign have done a good job. Lots of colour. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

So, having started this thread a few weeks ago, just posting to say thanks to all who helped with the #turnthetownclaretandblue campaign and who came to the Aviva and turned it the same colours. Fantastic to see so many families and friends simply having a great day out, no matter the result.

Like a lot of things, its not just about the game but showing pride in your team and your town. Lots of begruders and knockers out there. They are the ones who miss out of these great occasions and make do with watching the premiership on a little box in their sitting room for crazy SKY subscriptions. armchair and barstool supporters, not real supporters of anything important

Advertisement