Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Flash drive has failed to Autoplay?

Options
  • 16-10-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

For whatever reason the USB flash drive has failed to Autoplay when inserted in my HP desktop, but hasnt when inserted into laptop, why is that?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Hi,

For whatever reason the USB flash drive has failed to Autoplay when inserted in my HP desktop, but hasnt when inserted into laptop, why is that?

Thanks for your help.

You can change autoplay settings by going into my computer and right clicking on the usb drive!

Options should be something like run autoplay, do nothing, open media player etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

choons wrote: »
    You can change autoplay settings by going into my computer and right clicking on the usb drive!

Options should be something like run autoplay, do nothing, open media player etc.

Thanks, but tried it & sadly it doesnt fix it?

What are you trying to autoplay from the USB drive? Autorun of programs from anything other than CDs or DVDs was disabled in Windows 7 and was also disabled in XP and Vista via Windows updates.

Karsini wrote: »
    What are you trying to autoplay from the USB drive? Autorun of programs from anything other than CDs or DVDs was disabled in Windows 7 and was also disabled in XP and Vista via Windows updates.

Hi, i'm not running anything from the USB drive, it was just handier to have the USB folders opened a lot quicker on the drive, instead of going into My Computer (in XP) & locating the folders itself, as it just stopped recently, like a few days ago?

Hi, i'm not running anything from the USB drive, it was just handier to have the USB folders opened a lot quicker on the drive, instead of going into My Computer (in XP) & locating the folders itself, as it just stopped recently, like a few days ago?

Ah okay. Might want to download TweakUI and check that it's still enabled.

TweakUI%20Autoplay.png

autoplay_drives.png

• Advertisement

Thanks, i'll try that, strange its only affected the desktop & not the laptop (Windows Vista)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Autoplay is the most stupid feature ever built into an operating system. It has been used extensively to introduce a virus even to systems not connected to the internet e.g. Stuxnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Correct, it's so easy to manipulate that's it's disabled by default now with the latest Windows Updates. OP, open Computer and plug in your USB - it will be ready and waiting for you, it's 1 extra click.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Correct, it's so easy to manipulate that's it's disabled by default now with the latest Windows Updates. OP, open Computer and plug in your USB - it will be ready and waiting for you, it's 1 extra click.

Its just that i got so used to it, what can i say i'm lazy :o

Advertisement