Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Music

Options
  • 16-10-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just putting my playlist together for the marathon and just looking for recommendations on what songs people use for getting through the event?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Leave your ipod/mp3 at home. Dublin is a great event and the support throughout is brilliant. Those who run along listening to music are oblivious to and really miss out on the atmosphere of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Your question: Just putting my playlist together for the marathon and just looking for recommendations on what songs people use for getting through the event!

Your answer: Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

The roar at the start, the platter of feet through phoenix park, the encouragement of the crowds at ever turn through the 26 miles, the loud cheers from the crowds along the finishing mile, the sounds of achievement by fellow athletics at the finish line................now that's the best playlist during a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

People running with headphones and music blocked the ambulance on the course at the Dublin half trying to reach the unfortunate fella as they could not hear it behind them - *please* leave music at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

I listened to music for my first marathon last year....not this year though . dublins a great atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

He asked for music recommendations not a lecture.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

LaHaine wrote: »
    He asked for music recommendations not a lecture.

In fairness people are only advising the OP what the Terms of the event don't allow,

Cabaal wrote: »
    In fairness people are only advising the OP what the Terms of the event don't allow,

Fair enough. I just dont like people always preaching about music when running.

I actually think no music is better on the day. But each to their own.

On topic...maybe some queens of the stone age. Rawk n roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sort of. It's true that they are technically against the terms of the event. However, it's not mentioned anywhere on the rules page. The IAAF rules are mentioned on the page, but not linked to or summarized.

So the only way to find out this piece of information is to search for the IAAF rules yourself, and read through a 284 page document.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I guess it's a question of people being used to listening to music while then run. If someone is used to listening to music they might not feel comfortable changing for marathon day. But I do agree - you miss out on the crowd and general atmosphere if you're listening to music in an event and in some events it may be against the rules. If you do have to listen to music goa trance is a great genre to keep you going :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any DCM event I've entered have advised against the use of headphones, never said it was against the rules. Have they changed this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Any DCM event I've entered have advised against the use of headphones, never said it was against the rules. Have they changed this year?
    It's run under IAAF rules, which includes this section:
    Any athlete giving or receiving assistance from within the competition area during an event shall be warned by the Referee and advised that, if there is any repetition, he will be disqualified from that event. If an athlete is subsequently disqualified from the event, any performance accomplished up to that time in the same round of that event shall not be considered valid. However, performances accomplished in a previous round of that event shall be considered valid.
    For the purpose of this Rule, the following shall be considered assistance, and are therefore not allowed:
    (b) possession or use of video or cassette recorders, radios, CD, radio transmitters, mobile phone or similar devices in the arena.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Receiving outside assistance of a bottle of lucozade, a piece of banana from a spectator etc is also against IAAF rules..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Receiving outside assistance of a bottle of lucozade, a piece of banana from a spectator etc is also against IAAF rules..

You bold girl. A whole new can of worms here:eek:

You bold girl. A whole new can of worms here:eek:

I'd say even carrying your own food and drink is probably against the rules too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I square that with the fact that the elites get their own table with their personal drinks.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I square that with the fact that the elites get their own table with their personal drinks.

But the people that give those drinks are designated people so not an outside aid.

Getting a drink/food from the crowd is considered outside aid.

But the people that give those drinks are designated people so not an outside aid.

Getting a drink/food from the crowd is considered outside aid.

I think that's where he's going. Theirs is monitored so it's known what they take on, the average runner ( no pun intended ;) ) could be taking anything

I think that's where he's going. Theirs is monitored so it's known what they take on, the average runner ( no pun intended ;) ) could be taking anything

Whatever I am taking, still bloody average only:D Thought EPO boost was good:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think the OP has long since abandoned ship... So in the spirit of this thread and in keeping with the usefulness of the responses:
    • Road to nowhere
    • I still haven't found what I'm looking for
    • (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    • How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?
    • I Don't Like Mondays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Generally anything with a steady longwinded melody or a happy tune works well for me on long runs, so I'd asume its the same in a marathon... BT (these hopefull machines), Chicane, Owl city, Tiesto (kaleidoscope), Sunlounger are all good.

Not sure I could listen to music for a full marathon, but these would be on my hitlist for the spots where Id fall back to a few tunes..

Mile 10 onwards-happy music steady tempo:
    avicii fade into darkness

About mile 14, starting to feel the effort in the legs about now:
    Hoobastank - moving forward

Miles 16-onwards pick up the tempo but steadily:
    Lana del rey summertime sadness remix

Miles 20 onwards (kick in the ass to get over the wall):
    Eminem till I collapse

Last few miles (kicks the tempo too high for anything before mile 23):
    Tiesto - zero 76

Anytime you feel crap, this fixes it:
    Macklemore - cant hold us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Don't listen to any music on race day that you haven't experimented with in training. Once your glycogen stores start to deplete your mind can start playing tricks. The last thing you want to happen with a few miles to go is to be presented with a Michael Jackson tune and to start involuntarily moonwalking backwards causing danger to yourself and fellow runners and losing vital seconds.

Cake - The Distance

Advertisement