Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which cordless to buy? advice appreciated

Options
  • 16-10-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

my two ten year old 14.4 V Makita cordless drills are redundant as the batteries are dead. I've replaced the batteries a couple of times over the years and have beed sold duds once which was a pain. I would love to buy a new drill but I'm so out of touch now I wouldn't know where to start so I would appreciate any advice as to which make and model to go for. I just need it as a screw gun, no hammer. Preferably 18 V. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You had a Makita for 10 years and you want to know what to buy?

My Makita is 5 years old and still going strong. When it goes, I'll definitely be buying another one.

B&Q often have good deals on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

rovoagho wrote: »
    You had a Makita for 10 years and you want to know what to buy?

My Makita is 5 years old and still going strong. When it goes, I'll definitely be buying another one.

B&Q often have good deals on them.
    the drills are heavy dianosores and have been out of action for years. They work and if I could get cheap batteries id use them. I've been looking into rebuilding the batteries which is an option. Some good YouTube vids on that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Power tool repair services in Glasnevin would probably be able to help you either source new batteries or repair your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

I have preference for Dewalt nowadays...have alot of makita powertools but dont think in my opinion they are as good as they once were years ago..several of our makita drills in work(commercial) havent lasted the test of time...shaft and chucks have become damaged from heavy use...I see alot of people using milwakee cordless drills these days ,,,seem very welll made along with dewalt...that said for household use id say makita are fine but if i got the others at a similar price id go with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Has to be Milwaukee by far the best made these days.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-M18PP2A-402C-Compact-Percussion-Impact/dp/B00CFNIWGY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_1

It's the latest from Milwaukee 4 amp hour batteries and brushless motors, it's the tools with FUEL on them you want to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

bazbrady wrote: »
    I have preference for Dewalt nowadays...have alot of makita powertools but dont think in my opinion they are as good as they once were years ago..several of our makita drills in work(commercial) havent lasted the test of time...shaft and chucks have become damaged from heavy use...I see alot of people using milwakee cordless drills these days ,,,seem very welll made along with dewalt...that said for household use id say makita are fine but if i got the others at a similar price id go with them..

I'd have said the complete opposite. The plastic housing of dewalt drills just feels cheap in comparison. I've used my makita for 10+ years as an industrial spark and the drill is still going strong the batteries gave out at various points along the way but the drill has no bothers on it even after being dropped from various heights and generally abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Bosch blue are excellent and reasonably priced. Dont buy the green ones they are diy junk.makita seem to have gone to hell a bit and milwaukee are massively overpriced, never tried de walt but ive heard only good things

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

Mr Fred ,I can only comment on a few of the newer makita drills that we have had on site..As i said before the older stuff is good which is the one you have but we have had three hammer action 18v makitas and the shaft has bent on all three so thats all i can comment on....Some of the Dewalt do have a plastic casing light feel but any of the dewalt stuff i personnally have and our company has worked fine for years now no major issues....Yes forgot to mention Bosch ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hilti close thread:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hootanany wrote: »
    Hilti close thread:D

I always bought Hilti and was never disappointed (except with the price).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

And the 2 year guarantee on everything including batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Milwaukee Fuel 5 year warranty on tools and batteries.

Now you can close the thread. :)

Advertisement