Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best BB+Phone deal (Sky or Eircom)

• 17-10-2013 2:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I dont know if anyone has had Sky constantly ring, as i've had missed calls half a dozen, but i happen to catch a call, but told them to give me bullet points as i was in a hurry, but are ringing back again on Thurs or Friday evening.

Sky offer, as far as i can remember

6mths 1/2 price BB - €35pm, €40 after 6mths
    Unlimited BB
    Evening & W/end calls in Ireland
    10% off sky tv, debatable as i've already got two promotions already on HD+9mth promo on sky

Additional option: €7.50
    Calls to US+Canada landlines & Mobiles
    Calls to Australia Landlines

Current offer i'm on with Eircom

Eircom Talk time talker:
    Unlimited local & National calls-landlines anytime+30 Mobile mins

Broadband Home Plus:
    Download speed upto 3MB unlimited download+upload speed

As a member of my family gets the social benefit package, i pay for the BB part.
    = €78 before VAT bi-monthly+call charges usually about €5

I havent had Eircom ring me up with any offers yet, if anyone knows any going better, as one time they rang me up one Jan to say i should get this such & such a deal as i was paying full whack on the last deal, in which i was told from the last time it was a good deal by an eircom sales person :(

Also i got a sky brochure in the post today regarding the 6mths BB...
    Comparing it to Eircom 24 MB Ultimate Broadband with unlimited phone package without tv costs €60, the 24MB i assume is only in a handful of places? as i'm not eligible for efibre til Dec 2013

So with eircom coming into the tv market from the 16th Oct mentioned here
    https://www.eircom.net/tv/bundles
    https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

Thanks for any advice given.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

If you can get UPC,that would be a better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Kev. wrote: »

big IF. outside of densely populated areas UPC dont want to know.

I can only get 24mb line max in my town.

Sky are 6 months @35e and 6 months @ 40e = 450e annual

Eircom are 6 months @30e and 6 months @45e = 450 annual

no price difference. However, sky have no download cap. no brainer for me and you dont have to remember to switch at the end of the year to come off the higher price.

While it would be nice to have, if youre not heavy user, you dont need efibre if you have even a 3mb line at home. I was getting movies, games, music for years on 3mb. eircom put me on 8mb 2 years ago and the speed increased a little. Went to sky who opened up to full capactiy 24mb and speed increased a lot but youd want to have very little going on if you're watching download speeds or in fact paying a few hundred quid extra a year to see that progress bar edge right a bit quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its the ping times that should also be factored in or else you're looking at the progress bar whether you like it or not, copulating with the egg timer.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Vodafone at home for BB only is €35 a month or €32 if you have a vodafone bill pay mobile. With all the great mobile deals around there doesn't seem to be any need for a landline phone anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

UPC have offered new packages this morning :

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...om-610351.html

"Dual play customers also have new products with a 50Mb broadband and phone with unlimited downloads being introduced for €30 per month, and the introduction of a new TV and phone service for €36."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

bob11 wrote: »
    UPC have offered new packages this morning :

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...om-610351.html

"Dual play customers also have new products with a 50Mb broadband and phone with unlimited downloads being introduced for €30 per month, and the introduction of a new TV and phone service for €36."
    Do you have that link please? The one in your post is broken.

I spoke to UPC on the pone yesterday and the lady mentioned a package for €27 per month with 50 MB broadband and unlimited of-peak calls with 6.5 hours per month of international calls. No download cap mentioned.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/upc-launches-new-tv-and-broadband-package-to-rival-eircom-610351.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Kev. wrote: »

Yeah, it would be great as i see they have good offers inc a horizon box to rival sky, but i'm based in Donegal & my local exchange is only 5m away, but wont get updated to eFibre til Dec'13 according to eircom line checker:(

big IF. outside of densely populated areas UPC dont want to know.

I can only get 24mb line max in my town.

Sky are 6 months @35e and 6 months @ 40e = 450e annual

Eircom are 6 months @30e and 6 months @45e = 450 annual

no price difference. However, sky have no download cap. no brainer for me and you dont have to remember to switch at the end of the year to come off the higher price.

Eircom with the BB Home Plus has unlimited download+upload speed, but have never checked on the eircom site to see how much i've d/loaded anyway on their site. I only check it on
    utorrent
    to see what you have d/loaded within the month to see.
    While it would be nice to have, if youre not heavy user, you dont need efibre if you have even a 3mb line at home. I was getting movies, games, music for years on 3mb.
    I also do the same, but no games.
    eircom put me on 8mb 2 years ago and the speed increased a little. Went to sky who opened up to full capactiy 24mb and speed increased a lot but youd want to have very little going on if you're watching download speeds or in fact paying a few hundred quid extra a year to see that progress bar edge right a bit quicker.
    It would be nice to see what 8mb would do to waiting times & would be waiting a lot longer to see if i would get 24mb, i'm only assuming since i'm still on 3mb & waiting for ages for NGB.
    As
    as i'm constantly seeing offers on efibre & bundles & would probably be cheaper on an improved bundle price?, similar to sky that its now cheaper in the long run updating to the HD box instead of staying with the standard sky+ box as you get more deals with the HD box as it was a lot cheaper for me in the long run IMO.

As while sky are only offering off-peak & no 30 mobile min, that's something i suppose i've to look out for as the phone would be used regularly during the day & while people in the house are mostly Tesco mobile, the landline is sometimes used to contact a mobile if not contactable by mobile, so i suppose that's another pro v con!

Also depends if i'm in the Sky Broadband area to get it as you may have to pay €10
    more

As they do have a 30 day trial run & in the leaflet i got i assume the save €150 v Eircom is against the dearest package they have ie 24mb i assume?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I'm locking this as it's not a BA and is more suited to the Broadband forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement