Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 32), October 18-19, 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

SantryRed wrote: »
    Completely deserved. By far the worst team this year. Blame starts from the top down, giving Matthews a new contract was a joke, and then for that man to assemble a very, very poor squad with the budget he was given, allowing better players to leave and signing crap players.

Ya it was deserved sadly for ye. I still thought it would be between UCD and Bray, but ye had rotten run for while and never recovered. The others in around the bottom were digging out results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Moderator of 'Pro Wrestling', say's it all.

Love how this is always brought up when people have nothing intelligent to say.

What does it have to do with anything?

FTA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Nothing intelligent to say? Have you read your posts on this thread?

Let me refresh your memory
    gimmick wrote: »
    Yup. Never been so happy to see anyone relegated. Hope they rot in division 1.
    Small time from the co-op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Love how this is always brought up when people have nothing intelligent to say.

What does it have to do with anything?

FTA

I think, people can win tickets for the WWE (or something like that) on Radio Nova? Did you give them a ring already? ;)

Sorry, but I couldn't help it.

Lars watch yourself, you might get closelined off the top rope.

Ah bless ye.

It's been a fun few hours. Night night now.

FTA

Night, don't forget to put the handbrake on.

Righteo, am hitting the deck then. Good night, Vienna :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ah bless ye.

It's been a fun few hours. Night night now.

FTA

What does FTA mean?

• Advertisement

What does FTA mean?

Eff them all, a famous Shels song ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Moderator of 'Pro Wrestling', say's it all.

careful one of the soccer mods is also a PW mod I hear,

lads keep it on topic don't wanna have to mod you all over this nonsense

HA... And to think a few posts ago you brought Celt*c into this thread?

I'm pissed an I despise nationalists/Celt*c fans - nothing to do with this thread I know but still.

I'm off to bed.

HA... And to think a few posts ago you brought Celt*c into this thread?

I'm pissed an I despise nationalists/Celt*c fans - nothing to do with this thread I know but still.

I'm off to bed.

Read back, Celtic were brought into the thread in context.

Enjoy your sleep.

Oiche Maith mo chara.

Context?
    Some Shels fans on here do themselves no favours with their attitude towards Celtic.
    HAHAHA :pac:

Context?

HAHAHA :pac:

There's a lesson there my friend, when you quote something out of context it loses the context. Ergo, your selective quote has quoted me out of context.

Anyway, back to the soccer (as you seem obsessed by politics on what is a thread about LoI). Why do you think Shels were relegated this year?

• Advertisement

Anyway, back to the soccer (as you seem obsessed by politics on what is a thread about LoI). Why do you think Shels were relegated this year?
    HAHA seriously, you brought Celt*c into things, you know they are a British club yes? They ain't in the League of Ireland.

Anyway Shels were relegated because we were the worst team in the league, possibly the worst Shelbourne team I've ever seen. Also because Mathews was given a contract when every man an their dog could see he was leading us down the wrong path. Poor discipline & unable to defend from corners were also contributing factors as were Gartland and Brennan being possibly the laziest players I've ever seen pull on a red jersey.

Why did Mathews he get a contract? Because he helped bring in the sponsor.

HAHA seriously, you brought Celt*c into things, you know they are a British club yes? They ain't in the League of Ireland.

Correct on all counts.

EDIT - Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Shels will be back fairly quick again. Will miss them in the Premier as they're a big club by Irish standards, but at the same time one less trip to Dublin is always welcomed!

I assume the playoff becomes pointless if Mervue hold onto their lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Got bit of stuffing tonight. But meant be crackers for couple of Dundalk goals by all accounts. Finished the season strong so happy enough.

Actually cant believe Shels are gone. Crazy stuff.

1st goal was a 30/35 yard scorcher from MOTM Towell(think Bolgers goal on Sunday but from further out and defo no "shank")

2nd was a perfectly executed bicycle kick effort from Hoban

3rd was an OG.

4th was a wonderful effort from John Dillon.He easily Skipped past his marker(the awful,awful Dan Murray) and brilliantly placed the ball into the corner of the net.

It was champagne football from Dundalk and they missed much easier chances
    than they scored.

About 25/30 Cork fans in Oriel tonight who sang more about Shels' relagation than anything else but were good and noisy craic.

Attendance in OP was 1733.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

About 25/30 Cork fans in Oriel tonight who sang more about Shels' relagation than anything else but were good and noisy craic.
    That is really embarassing. We're not even actual rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

**** sake Bohs :( still in a strong position, but nobody to blame but ourselves if we end up in a playoff

Sincerely hope this relegation isn't the end of Shelbourne.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Awful from Bohs tonight. Just awful. Felt fairly hollow given the results over the past 2 months. So flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pighead wrote: »
    Two magical goals in Oriel Park this evening. A 25 yard thunderbolt into the top corner from Richie Towell followed by a belter of an overhead kick from Hoban from just inside the box. Both doing their player of the year chances no harm.

Player of the year?? Greg Bolger already has that sown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Amazing to see Conor Kenna lift the league trophy aloft tonight. Just amazing!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Player of the year?? Greg Bolger already has that sown up.
    How come he didnt play last night? Genuine question btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup. Never been so happy to see anyone relegated. Hope they rot in division 1.

FTA
    Cheerio.

We will never cross paths again with any luck.

FTA

Look above, they seem to think we have a rivalry, or an interest or something between us.

Why did Mathews he get a contract? Because he helped bring in the sponsor.

He brought the sponsor in after he was signed.
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    Shels will be back fairly quick again. Will miss them in the Premier as they're a big club by Irish standards, but at the same time one less trip to Dublin is always welcomed!

I assume the playoff becomes pointless if Mervue hold onto their lead.

Depends how things go for us, why would any half decent player sign for us when they could probably sign for Pats or Rovers and just sit around on double the wage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Further off-topic posts deleted. There has already been two warnings on thread, gentlemen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's astonishing that that Bray team could escape relegation, nevermind the playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Look above, they seem to think we have a rivalry, or an interest or something between us.

Not getting involved in dick swinging about Shels demise, but in fairness there has been a bit of a rivalry between the clubs last few seasons, I always enjoyed games against ye and will miss that next season in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How come he didnt play last night? Genuine question btw.

1 card and he misses the 1st 2 games of next season.

Future thinking saints.

CHAMPIONS

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    1 card and he misses the 1st 2 games of next season.

Future thinking saints.

CHAMPIONS

:pac:

:rolleyes:

Classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

:pac:

:rolleyes:

Classic!

heh when do we have a fans game to pay for Towells 1800 a week fundraiserr?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    heh when do we have a fans game to pay for Towells 1800 a week fundraiserr?

When you give me proof that he's on 1800 a week.OR The same time Zurick close yee down i guess!
    Don't believe all you hear from Twits on Twitter ;)

Corholio wrote: »
    Not getting involved in dick swinging about Shels demise, but in fairness there has been a bit of a rivalry between the clubs last few seasons, I always enjoyed games against ye and will miss that next season in all honesty.

To be fair, we have too many historical rivals to be considering Cork an actual rival. Bit more like the Shamrock/Sligo Rovers thing that has developed over the last 2 or 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This Mervue thing.. It can't be realistically happening can it? Why are they even contesting the play offs? Should Longford not just get a bye?

In fact why do 2nd and 3rd of Div 1 even play off at all? Why not a straight play off between the premier and the first division?

Omackeral wrote: »
    This Mervue thing.. It can't be realistically happening can it? Why are they even contesting the play offs? Should Longford not just get a bye?

In fact why do 2nd and 3rd of Div 1 even play off at all? Why not a straight play off between the premier and the first division?
    It's all about creating more to play for for more teams to make the league more exciting and make attendances higher than if those teams had nothing to play for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CSF wrote: »
    To be fair, we have too many historical rivals to be considering Cork an actual rival. Bit more like the Shamrock/Sligo Rovers thing that has developed over the last 2 or 3 years

I suppose when you have a few highlights to look back on like stopping shels winning the league years ago admittedly by beating them in Tolka in the last game of the season and more recently beating them to win the league in the dying minutes - :D - while it might not be a 'historical' thing to some, but us City fans just never liked Shels in any mean or form I suppose.

Some will be delighted to see them go down and rot there but I would prefer if they battled with relegation every year and just managed to stay up - as we need a bit of dislike in LOI to keep it going - historically or otherwise.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I suppose when you have a few highlights to look back on like stopping shels winning the league years ago admittedly by beating them in Tolka in the last game of the season and more recently beating them to win the league in the dying minutes - :D - while it might not be a 'historical' thing to some, but us City fans just never liked Shels in any mean or form I suppose.

Some will be delighted to see them go down and rot there but I would prefer if they battled with relegation every year and just managed to stay up - as we need a bit of dislike in LOI to keep it going - historically or otherwise.
    Fair enough, but it is a very one-sided rivalry. You wouldn't even be the club I dislike the most in Munster never mind considering Bohs, Rovers and Pats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

From a dislike perspective - Rovers are always going to be top of that pile for me and a particular player dislike for Crowe, always enjoyed giving him abuse when Bohs came to town.

• Advertisement

We are only rivals when it suits the Shells fans.

Anyway enough about the old - what about the new? Towell of Dundalk - where did he come from. Never noticed him before but thought he was pure class this season (in the few games I seen him).

Is he contracted and can ye hold onto him? I assume plenty across the water are looking at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

We are only rivals when it suits the Shells fans.

Anyway enough about the old - what about the new? Towell of Dundalk - where did he come from. Never noticed him before but thought he was pure class this season (in the few games I seen him).

Is he contracted and can ye hold onto him? I assume plenty across the water are looking at him.
    He started at Crumlin, moved to Celtic as a young fella and then went to Hibs on loan. Kenny brought him over to Dundalk at the end of last year.
    New contract signed on Thursday which is fantastic news. Think we have ten players who have renewed their contracts for next season now.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/towell-pens-new-deal/

He started at Crumlin, moved to Celtic as a young fella and then went to Hibs on loan. Kenny brought him over to Dundalk at the end of last year.
    New contract signed on Thursday which is fantastic news. Think we have ten players who have renewed their contracts for next season now.

He was actually very close to signing for us over the off-season. How different things might have been for both sides if that had come to pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

CSF wrote: »
    He was actually very close to signing for us over the off-season. How different things might have been for both sides if that had come to pass.

Best player in the League by a country mile.

How we managed to get him for another year is unreal, Surely destined for England/Scotland

Best player in the League by a country mile.

How we managed to get him for another year is unreal, Surely destined for England/Scotland
    Agreed. Bolger is a good player and does a great job protecting Pats back four but Towell has that little bit extra. He can score as well as do the dirty work in midfield. Much more all round player.

Then again it's hard to judge these things. I've only seen Bolger play maybe four times this season where I see Towell every week. And I may be guilty of a little Dundalk bias also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    From a dislike perspective - Rovers are always going to be top of that pile for me and a particular player dislike for Crowe, always enjoyed giving him abuse when Bohs came to town.

Crowe? Very mild mannered, never reacted to crowds unlike some others I could easily mention. Twigg, for example.

• Advertisement

Got his timeline wrong there, he came back to Ireland - was playing with Bluebell. He was then brought to Shels, Rovers/Pats got word of him and somehow then signed for Dundalk.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Crowe? Very mild mannered, never reacted to crowds unlike some others I could easily mention. Twigg, for example.

Didn't say he wasn't mild mannered etc...but the fact is he nearly always scored or played well - or both - against us.

Got his timeline wrong there, he came back to Ireland - was playing with Bluebell. He was then brought to Shels, Rovers/Pats got word of him and somehow then signed for Dundalk.
    Somehow? He got an offer to join Dundalk, one of the giants of Irish football, from Stephen Kenny, the best manager in the league. Nothing too mystifying about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

He was offered contracts by most clubs in the league last year and I'm sure this year as well. He took the offer which suited him best.

He was outstanding for the U21s in one of the internationals in the Showgrounds last summer. We spoke to him at the time but couldn't afford him. That was while he was at Hibs though so I'm sure his demands came down after his spell at Bluebell.

Somehow? He got an offer to join Dundalk, one of the giants of Irish football, from Stephen Kenny, the best manager in the league. Nothing too mystifying about it.

€€€€€€€€€

• Advertisement
Advertisement