Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 32), October 18-19, 2013

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

€€€€€€€€€
    We had a players budget of roughly €8000 a week for the season. Pretty sure we didn't offer him any more than any other club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pighead wrote: »
    We had a players budget of roughly €8000 a week for the season. Pretty sure we didn't offer him any more than any other club.

Why would he choose Dundalk (a 1 hour drive) over a 5 minute walk to Richmond Park or a 10 minute drive to Tallaght?

Why would he choose Dundalk (a 1 hour drive) over a 5 minute walk to Richmond Park or a 10 minute drive to Tallaght?
    Stephen Kenny. I'm guessing he was told that the team was going to be built around him. Would have been way more competition at Pats and Shams.

I know that most of the soccer forum have a huge soft spot for Dundalk so here's a wee video of the team thanking the fans on Friday evening after the Cork game. Pat Hoban's Dundalk accent is coming along nicely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He said in an interview near the start of the season, he didnt sign for Rovers because he didnt like the vibe he got from the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Somehow? He got an offer to join Dundalk, one of the giants of Irish football, from Stephen Kenny, the best manager in the league. Nothing too mystifying about it.

That's cute.

bg-buckley_2.png

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    That's cute.

bg-buckley_2.png
    Nothing cute about it. Kenny finished second having rebuilt a team that were on their knees last season and were almost relegated. He has also won more trophies having managed for a shorter period of time. As I said, best manager in the league.

Stephen Kenny honours:

League of Ireland
    Bohemians – 2002–03

League of Ireland First Division
    Derry City – 2010

FAI Cup
    Derry City – 2006

League of Ireland Cup: 4
    Derry City – 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011

Leinster Senior Cup (football)
    Shamrock Rovers - 2012

Liam Buckley honours:

League of Ireland
    St. Patrick's Athletic – 1998–99, 2013

FAI Cup
    Sporting Fingal – 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nothing cute about it. Kenny finished second having rebuilt a team that were on their knees last season and were almost relegated. He has also won more trophies having managed for a shorter period of time. As I said, best manager in the league.

Stephen Kenny honours:

League of Ireland
    Bohemians – 2002–03

Derry City – 2010

FAI Cup
    Derry City – 2006

Shamrock Rovers - 2012

Liam Buckley honours:

League of Ireland

FAI Cup
    Sporting Fingal – 2009

This is the LOI though, where teams sign new squads almost every season. Not quite the same as taking Fulham to the Champions League. Buckley for me. Such impressive football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Stephen Kenny honours:

League of Ireland
    Bohemians – 2002–03

Derry City – 2010

FAI Cup
    Derry City – 2006

Shamrock Rovers - 2012

Liam Buckley honours:

League of Ireland

FAI Cup
    Sporting Fingal – 2009
    So Buckley has more major trophies..

In fact Baraclough can tie Kenny on major trophies in two weeks time in just his second season here.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    So Buckley has more major trophies..

In fact Baraclough can tie Kenny on major trophies in two weeks time in just his second season here.
    Ah but what about Kenny's heroics at Longford where he got them promotion, to an FAI Cup Final and into the UEFA Cup (while still in his 20's!).

A league, runners up in league and FAI Cup finalists during his three years at Bohs.

Huge success in Derry where he brought a crappy team to finish runners up in the league in his first season. Beat Gotenburg and Gretna in the UEFA Cup to reach he first round proper where they drew with PSG in the first leg before being knocked out.

Got relegated with Dunfermline but led them to two cup finals. Went back to Derry, got them promoted and then went to Shams where he wasn't given a chance.

Came to Dundalk who were in dire straits and on their knees. Built a brand new team playing some of the best football seen in Oriel Park in years to finish 2nd(hopefully) in his debut season. Also should be in an FAI Cup final but won't go down that road again.

The man's CV pisses all over Buckleys in fairness. Can't compare Barraclough's record as he is only starting.

• Advertisement

Ah but what about Kenny's heroics at Longford where he got them promotion, to an FAI Cup Final and into the UEFA Cup (while still in his 20's!).

A league, runners up in league and FAI Cup finalists during his three years at Bohs.

Huge success in Derry where he brought a crappy team to finish runners up in the league in his first season. Beat Gotenburg and Gretna in the UEFA Cup to reach he first round proper where they drew with PSG in the first leg before being knocked out.

Got relegated with Dunfermline but led them to two cup finals. Went back to Derry, got them promoted and then went to Shams where he wasn't given a chance.

Came to Dundalk who were in dire straits and on their knees. Built a brand new team playing some of the best football seen in Oriel Park in years to finish 2nd(hopefully) in his debut season. Also should be in an FAI Cup final but won't go down that road again.

The man's CV pisses all over Buckleys in fairness. Can't compare Barraclough's record as he is only starting.

Fair enough, your opinion and all that.

Buckley for me anyways, plays the best brand of football in the league in my eyes. League is where it matters, he has 2 of them now, Kenny just the 1.

He also has his own song and dance so put that in your pipe.... ;)

You made it about honours, an area where Kenny has been consistently poor. He should have more league and cups in all his time here. Racking up league cups is nothing.

What about Buckley winning a cup and promotion with a brand new club? What about Roddy Collins and his long list of heroic exploits over the years? Alan Mathews two cups with Longford?

You made it about honours, an area where Kenny has been consistently poor. He should have more league and cups in all his time here. Racking up league cups is nothing.

What about Buckley winning a cup and promotion with a brand new club? What about Roddy Collins and his long list of heroic exploits over the years? Alan Mathews two cups with Longford?
    Ok. Do you think Roddy and Alan Matthews are better managers than Kenny?

Wouldn't have any of them so it doesn't really matter.

Wouldn't have any of them so it doesn't really matter.
    Weird answer. We'll leave it there so.

I'd have Roddy and Kenny at about the same level to answer your question so. They'll both do alright wherever they go.

Theres no point in deciding which one I'd prefer because we'll hopefully never have either.

Mathews was a joke, I just realised that he has the same amount of major trophies as Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Buckley is a much better manager than Kenny. While Kenny was awful at Rovers/scottish venture, bringing him to Roddys level is a bit harsh.

Would love to see an LoI manager as Ireland boss though, just to see. I honestly dont think they'd do any better or worse, play different football, same results.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0 with Rovers v Pats this season. Decent return considering Croly's limitations, three wins out of five, two in Inchicore.

dfx- wrote: »
    0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0 with Rovers v Pats this season. Decent return considering Croly's limitations, three wins out of five, two in Inchicore.

Think Hawkins was managing Rovers today - Didn't see TC on the bench anyways.

• Advertisement

Some would add that Hawkins is included amongst Croly's limitations

dfx- wrote: »
    Some would add that Hawkins is included amongst Croly's limitations

Hmmm maybe, he's only earning his coaching badges now so he's learning on the job in that regards.

I found the biggest problem with yourselves this year is your squad size, it's far too big which led to TC rotating far too often so lads didn't get settled in their positions.

Too many options at times - and your back 4 have been disappointing most of the times I seen them.

Croly hasn't figured how to attack when the pressure is on. The defence is fine - seven 0-0 away draws at Bray, Bohs with 10 men, Shels and the top four in Pats, Sligo, Dundalk and Derry.

He has no idea how to develop the attack in any of these games that matter. Before Friday, Rovers had the worst away goals scored, worse than Shels. He has no idea how to change a game either, Rovers haven't come from behind to win in 14 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Are the Dundalk goals vs Cork City online anywhere.

Heard they got 2 crackers, would like to see Towell's and Hobans goals.
    cheers,
    pa.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

dinneenp wrote: »
    Are the Dundalk goals vs Cork City online anywhere.

Heard they got 2 crackers, would like to see Towell's and Hobans goals.
    cheers,
    pa.

They'll be on MNS tonight (and then on RTE player).

I'd have Roddy and Kenny at about the same level to answer your question so. They'll both do alright wherever they go.

Theres no point in deciding which one I'd prefer because we'll hopefully never have either.

Mathews was a joke, I just realised that he has the same amount of major trophies as Kenny.
    Three years later and this post still makes me chuckle!

Think there is no doubt about it now. Stephen Kenny is the greatest manager this country has ever produced. The man is already a legend and is still has probably twenty years left to add to his legacy. Those who wanted more major honours on his list should have enough to satisfy them now. Four league trophies and counting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement