Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much

Options
  • 17-10-2013 6:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    FTM here so be gentle. My 1 week old finished a full bottle at 4.30am and wouldnt settle so my partner said give him another bottle where he drank 25ml...

I wont leave him take anymore. Hes asleep now but when do you know to put him on hungry baby formula, phn told me to wait a week or 2 as since he was born he was guzzling the bottles.

Has anyone hadcthis problem before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Hey, Congrats on your little man x

My little guy was the same at the start was taking 4 & 5oz bottles in the first few weeks every 2-3hrs. We put him on hungry baby food at about 3 weeks and took him off it after a week or two. It was filling him full of wind and we noticed a lot of it was coming back up, it wasn't suiting him. We then moved onto the comfort formula as he had constipation, he was on that for about 5 weeks but became very unsettled on that so then we went back to the normal formula we had originally given him and now at 7 months we have had no problems. Your little guy will have days where he guzzles bottles and then days were he wont have much interest. I am a FTM too and at the beginning it is so overwhelming, but my advice would be to avoid the hungry baby food for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How much is in a full bottle? 100ml or 200ml?

Sometimes they just want a little bit more. I used to always put 25ml more in the bottles in case she wanted another small bit.

The 'hungry baby' formula is no more calories than the regular stuff, it's just a different protein profile. I found it didn't agree with my little one either. I'd just give them more of the regular one if it isn't giving them pain or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

pwurple wrote: »
    How much is in a full bottle? 100ml or 200ml?

Sometimes they just want a little bit more. I used to always put 25ml more in the bottles in case she wanted another small bit.

The 'hungry baby' formula is no more calories than the regular stuff, it's just a different protein profile. I found it didn't agree with my little one either. I'd just give them more of the regular one if it isn't giving them pain or anything.

Thanks girls x

He slept til 10. I just gave him a bottle but he seems to be spitting it back up again so now im worrying over that.... I know its normal sometimes. But lack of sleep isnt helping.

Its 90ml in the bottle and i will admit we are going by the formula jar. I think il need to ask my own mam to callover for help!!

Thanks again x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

If he's draining the 90ml, add another 30ml to it - I always aimed to have a little left in the bottle after each feed. That way, you know they've had enough and when they start to drain the extra, you know to up the feed again.

The formula guidelines are just average estimates - they're not going to be accurate for a lot of babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sorry to hijack the thread - a fellow FTM! My little fella (2 weeks) takes about 4oz every 3 hrs, but now and again he hurls the lot - I know it's normal for them to spit up a bit but this morning he projectile vomited what appeared to be the whole bottle. He doesn't seem distressed, and he did burp when I winded him, although he guzzled the bottle. He's on expressed breast milk. I'm just worried he might have a tummy bug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Our little girl is the same she was guzzling the bottles down and then was crippled with wind so we went and got comfort formula last night. So far it seems to have slowed the guzzling down and she seems a bit better. Shes still very cranky though and our lack of sleep isnt helping at all but we`re only two weeks in aswell so I guess its just a steep learning curve!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

The lack of sleep is a killer, it's so hard to keep perspective when you're just shattered.

My 4 month old daughter has always had a good appetite, we very quickly moved from the smaller 150ml bottles (approx.) to the larger 260ml bottles (approx.) In the first few weeks she went from 30ml to 120ml in no time. She's always been taking more than the guidelines on the formula tins (they really are *just* guidelines!). It took me a couple of weeks to not worry about her having too much, I was putting too much importance on what was on the side of the tin.

We always added an extra 30mls to give us some leeway with feeds, in case she wanted more. We also went with SMA Comfort after a few weeks as she was very windy and that was uncomfortable for her, and therefore for us!

She's been taking 4 full 260ml bottles a day for nearly a couple of months now, though she doesn't drain them every time. We started on solids on Monday. When it comes down to it, go with what suits your baby, don't stress over the 'averages' or 'guidelines', and as long as they're putting on weight and going through their nappies, it's all ok.

Hang in there!

J.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would let him take as much as he needs.
    how much do you give him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would let him take as much as he needs.
    how much do you give him?

He took over 4 ounces on last feed. He has spewed up a little bit after but out for the count now...

Advertisement