Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Glasses Question

Options
  • 17-10-2013 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering what any of you that wear glasses usually do when you're out surfing? I've a pretty high presscription and can't see a thing without my glasses but, seeing as they're my only pair, I can't wear them surfing or kayaking in case I lose them! I've tried strapping my good prescription sunglasses to my head (DIY job with an elastic band!!) but I can't relax thinking they'll somehow get broken/lost ... and this takes a lot from the enjoyment! Oh and I've tried the whole contact lense thing while swimming years ago and got a pretty gross infection so that's not an option!!

What's the best way to get around this, considering I'm skint and therefore can't affort to splash out on snazzy surfer sunglasses from the States!

Thanks!
    Ruth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Daily disposable contact lenses if you have sensitive eyes. I wear monthly disposables myself and have never had any problems in over 10 years wearing them.

You wont get an infection from wearing lenses in the sea, your infection came from a pool I would imagine. Other than wearing lenses its suck it up really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I know several people who were disposable lens, you could also get your lense pesciption and get glassses cheaply online guy in work gets all his glasses on the web for half noting. Get propper sport straps to keep them on or use dict tape it much better than an elastic band, from the one time I wore sunglasses out I say one time because I lost the lense in about twenty minutes.

I've know people to get their eyes zapped and it's worked out well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Perscription goggles is another option, I've seen people kayaking etc with them on

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Rob a bank if you have too, get the cash get the surgery done if your corneas are thick enough, pays for itself over 10 years of buying contacts and fluid or glasses. Best money you ll ever spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Cliste wrote: »
    Perscription goggles is another option, I've seen people kayaking etc with them on

Nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Nuff said

What!?

The op mentioned the finer art of kayaking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

VNP wrote: »
    Rob a bank if you have too, get the cash get the surgery done if your corneas are thick enough, pays for itself over 10 years of buying contacts and fluid or glasses. Best money you ll ever spend.

Not so sure, plenty of folk suffer from dry/red eyes from it

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Nothing like waking up in the morning and having crystal clear vision without scrabbling round for specs or mouldy old lens case or packets. I know there are possible side affects like you mentioned but to be honest none of the people I know who recomended the surgery suffered from what you mentioned and neither do I, but I did wear contacts for years and had sore itchy red eys from that. I even burst a tiny blood vessle on my eye in Oz when some sand got stuck in the corner of the lens and I couldnt get a chance to change the bloody thing. Wouldnt like to be relying on having contacts left in my head to clamber across rocks or make your way back in after a surf in some places to be honest. Heard you can get prescription diving mask lenses if thats any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ruth_wex

I actually have prescription goggles but never even thought of using them for anything but swimming! Not a bad idea at all. I tried contacts at a water park before and within minutes they were gone, not from having my eyes open or anything, but from rubbing my eyes when I come up from the water so I can't see them working any better for surf/kayaking! I tend to wipe out a lot too so that doesn't help!!

Not a fan of the laser option to be honest, it never appealed to me even though it's such a nuisance wearing glasses. I might have a look at ordering specs online. I'd love a good pair of wrap sports sunglasses that could be worn for watersports and cycling but my high prescription drives up these seemingly cheap offers online pretty drmatically. Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

I use daily disposables and just make sure not to open my eyes after a wipeout (which happens a lot). I also find that putting a line of vaseline across my brow line helps drain the water away from the eyes so you're less likely to rub them. I used to lose a pair of disposables every session but now I rarely do.

Give the prescription goggles a go as they may well be the ideal solution for you... although you may end up spending half your time de-fogging them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement