Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protection

Options
  • 17-10-2013 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all.

I have recently returned for doing some work in Korea.
    I have with me a korean external hard drive with alot of important data on it.
    Im worried that if i plug this external into the socket here in ireland that it may wipe the drive as korean equipment works on a different voltage.

Will a simple surge protector adapter do the trick for me here or do i need something more substantial ?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Read what is written on the hard drive power supply.
    If it says 220 to 240 V AC then it is ok,
    however South Korea is a special situation apparently.
    If you can read the input voltage as well - something like 12 V DC from the power supply.
    Then you could replace the actual power supply with one from here

Have a read Here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Yes As above - easiest and safest to get a new power adapter - any Ireland compatible DC supply that will physically fit and is the SAME voltage and SAME or HIGHER wattage or amps is fine.

But you could also take the drive out of the case and install it in a desktop as a second drive. That way you dont need the PSU or the External case.

That's what I do anyway when I want to transfer a large amount of data to a drive as its much much quicker this way than over a USB.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've used my Irish external hdd over there for a year with no problem and my phone came from Korea but has had no problem charging over here, though it wasn't long before I got a new charger so as not to have to use an adapter (just to fit the socket, nothing fancy).

I believe devices that don't use the AC frequency for their operation (e.g. some clocks and timers) should be fine.

I know Koreans that charged their computers over here for months to years with no ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

Thanks guys.. got a plug converter and plugged it into my surge protector... working fine now.

Cheers :)

Advertisement