Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protector

Options
  • 17-10-2013 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all.

I have recently returned for doing some work in Korea.
    I have with me a korean external hard drive with alot of important data on it.
    Im worried that if i plug this external into the socket here in ireland that it may wipe the drive as korean equipment works on a different voltage.

Will a simple surge protector adapter do the trick for me here or do i need something more substantial ?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 benzene12

houbie wrote: »
    Hi all.

I have recently returned for doing some work in Korea.
    I have with me a korean external hard drive with alot of important data on it.
    Im worried that if i plug this external into the socket here in ireland that it may wipe the drive as korean equipment works on a different voltage.

Will a simple surge protector adapter do the trick for me here or do i need something more substantial ?

Thanks all

Voltage in Korea is 220V, same as in Europe according to this site;
    http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/AK/AK_EN_1_5_6.jsp

I think all you need is an adapter, but maybe someone else can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

USB has the same standard worldwide, 5VDC. It stays the same regardless of what the mains voltage feeding the PC is.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

USB may be the same, but I assume this external HDD requires a separate power adapter.

Usually they should be OK without any voltage convertors as benzene12 said, same voltage.

The only way to sure is to to check the device itself, it should say what it needs, like a + and - pointing to pin, saying 1A 200 - 240v~ etc, this would tell you what kind of power it accepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Ah, I thought a USB powered ext. HDD..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 westom

houbie wrote: »
    Without numbers from the drive's power adaptor, then nobody can provide a reliable answer. For example, a portable drive typically has numbers that say any voltage from 85 to 265 volts. That means any 120 volt or 230 volt power is ideal voltage. To say more means specific numbers from the device must be posted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes read the numbers.

If paranoid about the data, there is always the option of taking the drive out of the caddy if you know what you are doing. Or if properly paranoid backup the drive to another one.

NB. Never ever plug a "heavy" 12 power supply into a hard drive. They are unregulated and can be up to 15V (!)

on a side note, Japan has both 110 and 220V in different parts of the country !

A surge protector will only protect against some spikes on the line. It will not protect from sustained overvoltage.

Advertisement