Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

in court this week, few questions.

• 17-10-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

im in court 44 this week for not paying a fine for non display of motor tax disc..

had a car and motorbike for work, used bike, had car for sale, was in motorbike accident, used car following friday to get to work, was stopped on way home at checkpoint, explained situation and given ten days to tax car and produce.

parked car on driveway and didnt touch it. next monday, my dad moved car from driveway to outside house to work on his car. guards drove round the estate at some point and done the car for no tax while it was parked outside the registered address.we didnt know.

that friday i took day off work, taxed car, produced tax, then about a month later received a letter syaing the car was done for no tax, during the 10 day period the guard had given me to tax the car and produce.

2 questions, do i need to have the summons with me? as i cant find it.

and if im asked to make a payment to the poor box, is that done on the day? and how much? the fine was 90e unpaid.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

From my reading of this is sounds like :

*Garda stopped you at checkpoint for having no tax on the car. Decided not to fine you at the time given your explanation of why you were driving the car but decided to give you a producer which would give you a chance to tax car and avoid a fine. So long as you produced within 10 days that would be the end of the matter.

*In the meantime you get separate ticket for non displaying of valid road tax. You did not pay the fine ? Did you not know that you received it ? Sounds like this is what you are in court for so the above is irrelevant really. The fact that you were fined during the 10 day producer window does not matter. You are not exempt from anything during this period.

You do not need to have the summons with you when you turn up.

I think it is safe to say that you can expect a fine in this case. Plan for a few hundred euro and bring it with you if you can but you will be given a time frame for payment by the judge if he chooses this route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

The overwhelmingly ideal procedure is to bring the money to court with you and be ready to pay it in, on the day.

A (general) word of warning is not all the district courts apply the poor box 'rule'. Regular 'customers' of the Dublin courts might be very familiar with the poor box, but it is practically unheard of among some of their country cousins. It's a well known fact that the poor box, like many 20th century innovations, has scarcely reached the border counties for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

The overwhelmingly ideal procedure is to bring the money to court with you and be ready to pay it in, on the day.

A (general) word of warning is not all the district courts apply the poor box 'rule'. Regular 'customers' of the Dublin courts might be very familiar with the poor box, but it is practically unheard of among some of their country cousins. It's a well known fact that the poor box, like many 20th century innovations, has scarcely reached the border counties for example.

been in court myself on a number of occasions in the past (three times) each time i was beforebthe judge i produced evidence from the motortax office that the car was back tax and tge charge was struck out as "there was no loss to the state" those were the judges exact words

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just to be clear, the summons is for not paying the fine. Everything else in your post is irrelevant.

Most DJs are unsympathetic to people who don't tax their cars and fail to pay the fine. It is unlikely you will get away with a poor box donation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

your right, i didnt.

guard himself told them to strike it out.

thanks for puttin the ****s up me though before i went in.

and as stated above, i paid the back tax, no loss to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

copeyhagen wrote: »
    your right, i didnt.

guard himself told them to strike it out.

thanks for puttin the ****s up me though before i went in.

and as stated above, i paid the back tax, no loss to the state.

Happy days. Glad it worked out. You owe the Garda a pint :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i think even the gard realised how stupid the offence was, car parked utside house.

Advertisement